Novel advice please

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hohguy

Novel advice please

Post by hohguy »

Hi
I am trying to improve my english by reading books. I have been reading Harry Potter 1 .It's relatively easy but the subject of the book is not so much interesting to me. I am thinking of reading a love,drama or thriller novel as easy as Harry Potter 1 . What are your suggestions?
I viewed a few classic novel but they are too complicated for me .
Thanks.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Novel advice please

Post by Tukanja »

Hi, try "The bridge on the Drina" by Ivo Andric.
Originally written in Serbian, translated by Lovett F. Edwards.
Ivo Andric is a Nobel Prize winner.

"The Bridge on the Drina" is one of the most perceptive, resonant, and well-wrought works of fiction written in the twentieth century." (William H. McNeil)

Look what readers say about the novel under the link below

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3140 ... _the_Drina

The novel starts with the sentences below

For the greater part of its course, the river Drina flows through narrow gorges between steep mountains or through deep ravines with precipitous banks. In a few places only, the river banks spread out to form valleys with level of rolling stretches of fertile land suitable for cultivation and settlement on both sides. Such a place exist here in Visegrad, where the Drina breaks out in a sudden curve from the deep and narrow ravine formed by the Butkovo rocks and the Uzavnik mountains. The curve which the Drina makes here is particularly sharp and the mountains on both sides are so steep and so close together that they look like a solid mass out of which the river flows directly as from a dark wall. Then the mountains suddenly widen into an irregular amphitheathre whose widest extent is not more than about ten miles as the crow flies.

Here where the Drina flows with the whole force of its green and foaming waters from the apparently closed mass of the dark steep mountains, stands a great clean-cut stone bridge with eleven wide sweeping arches.
robertorbrt

Re: Novel advice please

Post by robertorbrt »

I suggest you read novels for kids or teens. These books usually have an easier language and you could find interesting stories that please you.