How many grammatical errors are there?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

junaidkabir

How many grammatical errors are there?

Post by junaidkabir »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I have been told that the below paragraph is full of grammatical errors. I found only one in the first line. Can anyone please tell me how many errors are there? It would be helpful if someone could point them out. Thanks in advance.

"Our lives have been revolutionized by internet and we spend a major portion of it online. However, there are some risks associated with internet that may have severe consequences and impact our everyday life. These can result from either visiting malicious websites or accidental disclosure of personal information online. In the mission of building a safer nation, XYZ wants to raise awareness regarding cyber security, so that everyone can navigate internet safely and have a safer life."
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: How many grammatical errors are there?

Post by Joe »

I would say that "full of grammatical errors" is an overstatement.

"Our lives have been revolutionized by internet and we spend a major portion of it online. However, there are some risks associated with internet that may have severe consequences and impact our everyday life. These can result from either visiting malicious websites or accidentally disclosing personal information online. In the mission of building a safer nation, XYZ wants to raise awareness regarding cyber security, so that everyone can navigate internet safely and have a safer life."

In the first sentence, what does the "it" refer to? Presumably it refers to "our lives". But "it" is singular and "our lives" is plural.

Second comma in last sentence not required.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

Hello Joe,

would you help me about the below.

"...XYZ wants to raise awareness regarding cyber security, so that everyone can navigate internet safely and have a safer life."

Is the below grammatically possible?

...XYZ wants to raise awareness regarding cyber security, so that everyone can navigate internet safely, having a safer life."

Also, it seems to me the part "and have a safer life" is redundant in the sentence. Is it?

Thanks
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Tukanja wrote:...XYZ wants to raise awareness regarding cyber security, so that everyone can navigate internet safely, having a safer life."
Not really :nok:
Tukanja wrote:Also, it seems to me the part "and have a safer life" is redundant in the sentence. Is it?
I'd tend to agree with you there :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven