a question about the meaning of a sentence

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ultramarine

a question about the meaning of a sentence

Post by ultramarine »

Hello!
Recently I read a sentence that I don't understand: "That largely reflected the wishes of Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, who is hemmed in by antipathy among taxpayers back home to propping up profligate Greeks and others." (here is the link of the whole article http://www.economist.com/node/18396144)
My understanding is that taxpayers back home have antipathy towards Merkel because she propped up profligate Greeks and others, is that correct? If so, why use "to" before "prop up" instead of "for"? If not, could you
explain it ? Thanks very much!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: a question about the meaning of a sentence

Post by Joe »

That largely reflected the wishes of Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, who is hemmed in by antipathy [among taxpayers back home] to propping up profligate Greeks and others.

The antipathy is not towards Merkel but towards (or "to") [the] propping up [of] profligate Greeks...
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

Joe wrote:That largely reflected the wishes of Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, who is hemmed in by antipathy [among taxpayers back home] to propping up profligate Greeks and others.

The antipathy is not towards Merkel but towards (or "to") [the] propping up [of] profligate Greeks...
Now i understand.Thanks so much!
sanjaySinha

Post by sanjaySinha »

Hello,
"A group of words, which gives a particular sense, call Sentence".
A sentence is a group of words giving a complete thought. A sentence must contain Subject and a Verb (although one may be implied).

Thanks
Sanjay Sinha
Teaching English from 5 years
https://www.englishsikho.com