Usage of the word 'prodigy'

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

singhtarun

Usage of the word 'prodigy'

Post by singhtarun »

I'm writing about something and can't figure out if "such is the prodigy of the human mind" is a correct sentence. Is the usage of the word prodigy correct here? Thanks in advance!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Usage of the word 'prodigy'

Post by Joe »

What exactly are you trying to express/say?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
singhtarun

Post by singhtarun »

Let's say its the title of a chapter - "Prodigy of the human mind". Something about it sounds off to me. Have I been drinking too much?
singhtarun

Post by singhtarun »

I may have been vague here. I understand the meaning of the word prodigy, am I using it correctly in framing the sentence? Examples I'm familiar with are child prodigy, math prodigy, and so on but can prodigy be followed by "of" to describe something? Is my question making sense?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

I suspect you may have been drinking prodigiously. "Prodigy of the human mind" seems off to me too, though I think I see what it is trying to say, something like: the prodigious capacity of the human mind? the prodigious abilities of the human mind?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
singhtarun

Post by singhtarun »

Thanks for your reply Joe! I just came across this definition of prodigy - an outstanding example of a particular quality.
"Germany seemed a prodigy of industrial discipline". This seems in line with what I said earlier. What do you think?
I'm going to cut down on drinking anyway.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Nothing wrong with the Germany example. But it’s not in line with your original human mind phrase. To use it in the same way you would need to say that the human mind is a prodigy of [something]…not the other way round. At least, that’s my understanding. 🍷

singhtarun

Post by singhtarun »

That's helpful, thanks again Joe!