Indirect Speech

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Nami Nami
Rising Star
Rising Star

Indirect Speech

Post by Nami Nami »

Below is an extract of a press release of a government agency:

The spokesman said that the XXX is implementing the arrangements in accordance with ...

The scheme will be reviewed one year after implementation.

My questions are:
1. 1st para: Is "is implementing" acceptable in formal correspondence such as press releases? Shouldn't it be "was implementing"?
2. 2nd para: Should it be "would be reviewed" as the whole press release was from the spokesman of the agency.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Indirect Speech

Post by Joe »

1. The spokesman said that the XXX is implementing the arrangements in accordance with ... :ok:

You may be right in strictly formal English but in normal parlance this seems acceptable. A press release is not necessarily a highly formal document. I understand from the above that the implementation is ongoing.

2. The scheme will be reviewed one year after implementation. :ok:

Again, very strictly speaking, would might be better but will seems acceptable in the circumstances.

Both cases seem okay to me, but without full context (ie the whole press release) it's difficult to get more picky :roll:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven