spelling of present participle

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

englishmix

spelling of present participle

Post by englishmix »

when you should double the N in present progressive? exmple: plan- plaNNing but loan not become loanning

he/she/it will have OR has?
he/she/it would have OR has?

when something belong to something you use 's. what about your glasses's frame? seems like a mistake. why?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: spelling of present participle

Post by Joe »

For #1 about spelling of the present participle to make the present progressive/continuous, please see:
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/ver ... .htm#spell

For the other questions please ask them in separate posts.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

I will answer them here but normally please ask one question per post and give it an accurate subject title (ie not something meaningless like "3 grammar questions").

I/you/he/she/it/we/you/they will have
I/you/he/she/it/we/you/they would have

glasses frames
The frames don't belong to the glasses. The noun "glasses" is used here as an adjective.
If you think it sounds funny, perhaps that's why people usually say "spectacle frames".
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
englishmix

Post by englishmix »

Joe wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am
glasses frames
The frames don't belong to the glasses. The noun "glasses" is used here as an adjective.
If you think it sounds funny, perhaps that's why people usually say "spectacle frames".
thanks for the answers,
what if the i want to say "the glasses's [and somthing that belongs to it] is that ok (the part 's) google always try to correct me. but i saw this example: the canvas's size (here: https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp) so i'm not sure why glasses's may not be correct

thank again
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

First comment. The thing that we call spectacles or glasses (which is only one "thing") is actually treated as a plural word.

My glasses ARE red.

so...

i want to say "the glasses's [and somthing that belongs to it] :nok:
i want to say "the glasses's [and somthing that belongs to THEM] :ok:

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

We pronounce glasses as [glass-IZ].

If you want to use the possessive apostrophe, there is no real rule about
  • glasses's
  • glasses'
BUT the pronunciation of glasses's is cumbersome [glass-IZ-IZ] - almost ludicrous :lol:

THUS no-one would say it.

SO I think most people would say glasses', which remains pronounced as [glass-IZ].

Example:

I need to change my glasses' left lens.

englishmix

Post by englishmix »

thanks, why did you say that frame is adjective of glasses'? it dosnet describe attribute. it is the part that holds the lens in the bigger noun "glasses" , no??