Tips to Improve English Grammar

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

RobertsDale

Tips to Improve English Grammar

Post by RobertsDale »

Learning any new language is a challenging task. The first step towards learning any new is to understand its grammar rules and apply it in your spoken and written language. Learning grammar is never easy and it takes time and effort to have a good grasp over it. Most native speakers make grammatical errors while speaking and writing and find it difficult to improve. But once you have a hold over the grammar than you will always speak and write correctly. You will not have any problem in forming sentences and this is the ultimate goal of any language learner. Correct grammar ensures that you are communicating effectively and clearly.

Following are the few tips which will help you improve your grammar:

Practice exercises

There are plenty of grammar exercises available online. You can practice them for free. There is also lot of grammar material available which explains key components of grammar like nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, use of proper tenses etc. Taking up grammar exercises and quizzes on daily basis will help you improve your grammar to a great extent.

Note down the mistakes that you make and improve upon it by taking more exercises in that particular concept. Work on it for a few days.

Speak and write in English

Once you start speaking and writing in English the results of your efforts will show. Practicing grammar is not limited to exercises and quizzes but actually applying it in your daily lives.

Pay attention to grammar when you're reading or listening

When you're reading a book or a newspaper try to pay attention to the sentence structure and understand why a particular sentence is written in a particular way. Try to make sentence of the similar type. If you're not able to make then do go through the grammar concepts and understand the rules.

Identify your mistakes

This is a very important exercise. Keep notes of grammar concepts that you think are difficult for you to grasp. While practicing English grammar exercises take a note of the mistakes that you're making. Write down the sentences where you're making mistakes. Do go through the notes quite often.

Read a lot

Reading improves your vocabulary as well as English to a great extent. If you find certain sentence structure difficult, then try speaking it aloud and repeat it as many times as possible until you get it right.

Listen and read aloud

Listening is important in improving your grammar because your ears are tuned to listen to sentences that are spoken in a particular manner. In this view, it is good to even read aloud sentences from a book so that you are tuned to listen to correct grammar which in turn will make you speak error-free English.
jonathanrace
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Tips to Improve English Grammar

Post by jonathanrace »

I agree especially with "read a lot". Input, input and more input! you will see how these things actually work rather than learning them in some abstract manner. :)
I can help you Learn English
AshTBX

Post by AshTBX »

How do I post a forum plz help
Mathewdexter

Post by Mathewdexter »

Your post is helpful for the people who have a little bit idea about English grammar and wants to improve. One of the most important parts to me in your post is 'identify your mistakes'. When a man can identify his mistakes, he can skip those errors. I just love your concept to read newspapers. Finally, I want to say that one needs a good https://www.onlinebooksreview.com/artic ... mmar-books book at first and then he will be able to apply all the statistics.
VeronicaReid

Post by VeronicaReid »

From my own experience:
Get surrounded by English everywhere
The more you hear it and speak it - the more it becomes a part of your daily life
hestro

Post by hestro »

Reading, as everyone suggests, is incredibly important. Read well-edited and varied content: novels, of course, but magazines like The New Yorker or National Geographic are great as well, and pick up a few newspapers now and then. You'll get a feel for how punctuation and grammar works in different contexts as you go. Aside from that, hare are some tips that might be helpful - because in the end, you won't get that far if you just stick to reading the same way you always have.

- Actually brush up on technical guidelines. Read up on grammar guides and things like synonyms and sentence structure. Print a few interesting ones out to keep in your workplace. There are often a few specific things in multiple languages that trip people up (in Dutch, it's usually the DT-rule, Dutch-speakers will know what I mean - in English, things like "him and I/him and me" or the common "less/fewer" can slip by even experienced writers out of habit). As you read or write, try to get into the habit of actively noticing structures that don't come as easy, and look them up. You'll have to do that less and less as you go.

- Think about creative ways to use common errors and how they might change the meaning and general style of a sentence. A character that says "me and him went out last night" will make a different impression on a reader than one that speaks Oxford English consistently. A "less" where there should be "fewer" will change the rhythm and tone of a line of poetry (and that goes double for punctuation).
worklifeenglish

Post by worklifeenglish »

If you are looking to improve your grammar, Work/Life English offers fun and practical ESL workbooks for all levels of students and teachers. The series includes grammar, spelling, reading, writing, and more books. All exercises and activities in the worksheets and books are relevant to students' everyday lives. The books include engaging real-world examples to help students learn more about the English language and culture.