fat scented candles

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

meyrevived

fat scented candles

Post by meyrevived »

Hello all,

I'm a member of an Facebook page about silly grammar mistakes in media in my language and country (Israel, Hebrew). Someone posted this quote from a book:

In the corner, a spiraling rack held tiers of fat scented candles that warmed and lit the room

This is either a periodical book or a fantasy book.

The OP of the post wondered why anyone would make candles that smell like fat. I told them that fat used to be a material to make candles from in days of yore and that fat and not bee wax meant something about the person who decorated the room. I said some fats gave off a bad smell when burning so the fact that these candles were scented said another thing about the person decorating the room.
Also, that if these were thick (fat) candles, the candles would have been "fat, scented candles". If they were, indeed, smelling of fat they would be "fat-scented candles".

But am I right?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: fat scented candles

Post by Joe »

meyrevived wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 amIf these were thick (fat) candles, the candles would have been "fat, scented candles".
If they were, indeed, smelling of fat they would be "fat-scented candles".
Agreed :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven