Impact vs affect vs effect

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

andyman

Impact vs affect vs effect

Post by andyman »

Hello everyone,

How you know impact/affect/effect from each other? Where to use one and where another one?
I would like to confirm that information in this article is correct: http://www.mit.edu/course/21/21.guide/affect.htm

Thank you!
JamesWatson

Re: Impact vs affect vs effect

Post by JamesWatson »

The information by mit is clear enough. Thanks. :!:
theway

Post by theway »

Its really easy...

First: Get to know and use: www.thefreedictionary.com for word questions.
That solves it... but let me add to that.... : p

The article says:

-affect as a verb means "to influence."
-effect means "to bring about some change

Effect does not mean "to produce" or, to "accomplish something." these ideas are a result of effect... but are not definitions for the word: effect. (This is wrong in your article).

Impact means: to collide (come into contact with something) and cause a change caused by that incident; and because of that incident; there are changes in outcome or direction.

Impact does NOT mean "strike with a blow" nor "to pack firmly together, (This is wrong in your article)
The word they were search for is "Compact" which means: to pack firmly together.. (They got both wrong).

I can only suggest, for you to stop listening to this kind of grammatical-rhetoric like: "here; it is a noun, or verb, or whatever. All words (in general) can be said to have different grammatical positions or names (noun, verb, etc.) depending where they are used in a sentence. That's it.

Learn the meanings and see the usage of words; by reading them in-context. Singly learning words is not the way..., Increase your vocabulary through reading... If looking-up single words, use; www.thefreedictionary.com

The article you referred, to me: is a mass of confusion, although it means-well I'm sure... But, they surely do a great job of making English look like something overly-complicated! hahaha...

This article is a good example of 'memorization' (authoritive-teaching), using other explanatory words which go way-beyond necessary; making their "examples" sound ridiculously complicated. And, blending multiples of learning ideas into a single document. I think they are just trying to make themselves look good or credible... it is really funny! : )

Note: They use no form of logic in their presentation... aghhh

I see English as much easier than that... I hope you can too...

: )

Robert
theway

Post by theway »

Hey, sorry about my definition about "collide"....
It does not mean there is an effect as I stated... I need to read what I write more carefully... : )
'Collide' simply means to come-into-contact with.... it could be physical things, ideas or others...