What does "true detective" mean

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Lignator

What does "true detective" mean

Post by Lignator »

I'm not sure what "true" and "detective" exactly mean here. I could only think of the following:
1) a detective story based on true events
2) a detective (person) who's very good at his job, but wouldn't that be a "real detective"? I'm a little bit confused.

Thank you in advance.
jonathanrace
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What does "true detective" mean

Post by jonathanrace »

Where did you see this phrase?

Usually when you see something like this it means the second one. Somebody who is very good at what they do.

Real implies just that he is not a fake. By that example this person could have just joined the force with a months experience. He is a real detective but not likely to be that good.

A true detective on the other hand is more likely to be someone who is very passionate about what he does, he has likely been doing it a long time.
I can help you Learn English
Lignator

Re: What does "true detective" mean

Post by Lignator »

jonathanrace wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:25 pm Where did you see this phrase?

Usually when you see something like this it means the second one. Somebody who is very good at what they do.

Real implies just that he is not a fake. By that example this person could have just joined the force with a months experience. He is a real detective but not likely to be that good.

A true detective on the other hand is more likely to be someone who is very passionate about what he does, he has likely been doing it a long time.
Hello sir. Thank you for your answer. "True Detective" is the title of a TV show. I don't know if the title describes the storyline or the protagonist(s), hence my question here. Again, thank you.