Possessive Words

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

galhardj

Possessive Words

Post by galhardj »

Hi all this is my first time here bcs I have a grammatical confusion with the words that Im about to use.
Which one do you guys think is correct?

1.Department's Panel Dimension
2.Department Panel's Dimension
3.Department's Panel's Dimension

Since Im trying to refer about the dimension of this panel that my department has, Im torn between those 3 option, or maybe there's other more correct answer?

Thank you {-:
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Posessive Words

Post by Joe »

Probably: department panel's dimensions :ok: Note the s

But really it would be better if you gave us the "context". That is, give us a complete sentence or paragraph with this phrase in it. Without context, nobody can be 100% sure of anything. :mrgreen:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
galhardj

Re: Posessive Words

Post by galhardj »

Joe wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 am Probably: department panel's dimensions :ok: Note the s

But really it would be better if you gave us the "context". That is, give us a complete sentence or paragraph with this phrase in it. Without context, nobody can be 100% sure of anything. :mrgreen:
The department that I work in just bought this panel in order to support one of our project, and Im having trouble in configuring the system and one of them is setting the dimension to use for the panel. Since the trainer is already away and I have to email him, I want to entitle the email's subject as '"Department Panel's Dimension" but Im not sure if its grammatically correct :~:
So do you still think it is "department panel's dimensions"?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Possessive Words

Post by Joe »

Usually we say dimensions but maybe your panel exists in one dimension only? So I THINK you could go for:

Department's Panel Dimensions
or maybe
Department's Panel Dimension
if it really is a single dimension

In this case "Panel" is acting as an adjective modifying "Dimensions".
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
galhardj

Re: Possessive Words

Post by galhardj »

Joe wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 am Usually we say dimensions but maybe your panel exists in one dimension only? So I THINK you could go for:

Department's Panel Dimensions
or maybe
Department's Panel Dimension
if it really is a single dimension

In this case "Panel" is acting as an adjective modifying "Dimensions".
That sounds making sense where the panel act as adj for modifying the dimension. It once crossed my mind to use Department's Panel's Dimension since I want to address the dimension of the panel whilst the panel itself is my department's but t also sounds strange so..
Thank you then for the help :mrgreen: