The subtle difference between bring or take

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Kenglish

The subtle difference between bring or take

Post by Kenglish »

Hello,
So I looked around the web for the difference between bring and take and discovered that one uses "bring" when you are bringing the object towards a person who is asking you, for example "bring the umbrella with you" implies that the speaker is also coming. While you use "take" if you are taking an object away from the speaker, for example "take these cups to the kitchen please".
However I found a B2 English test which gives the phrase "She.......... the backpack to the pool with her", with the two options "brings" or "takes". In this case there is no speaker. It is a narration. We don't know if the narrator is at the pool or at home. So what is the correct answer?

Instinctively I would say "brings". To find an explanation to this me and a friend hypothesized a different explanation: if you bring something with you, that implies that you will stay with the object (or person) after you brought it, while if you take something somewhere it implies you are dropping it off. This explanation also sounds about right and, if any of you know French, is essentially the same difference there is between "amener" and "emmener". I would like to know if this is correct or unrelated, and how you would solve a sentence with a third person narrator like the one above.
Thank you
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: The subtle difference between bring or take

Post by Joe »

The normal rule is bring here and take there, from the speaker's point-of-view, and this is the important thing to understand.

For British English I personally, being British, would imagine that the narrator of your pool example is at or near the pool when speaking...or perhaps the narrator is American. I'm not sure but I suspect this may actually be American usage. Perhaps another forum member can advise.

For full explanation and example sentences (BrE) please see:
bring OR take?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven