small questions

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

small questions

Post by SitangCampus »

In my recent reading of books written by educated native speakers of English (not those who live in other countries than the UK and the US), I find sentences like "There's a lot of people ...." many times and I think they might be wrong, "is" should have been "are".

Another question is that here is a sentence: We would like you to give a speech at our meeting, starting at 9:00 am on October 8th. I want to know which starts at 9 am, the meeting or the speech? How can I ascertain the right choice?

Please give me your valuable advices, thank you very much.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: small questions

Post by Joe »

SitangCampus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pmIn my recent reading of books written by educated native speakers of English (not those who live in other countries than the UK and the US), I find sentences like "There's a lot of people ...." many times and I think they might be wrong, "is" should have been "are".
In informal writing:
There's a lot of people...
There are lots of people...
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

SitangCampus wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pmAnother question is that here is a sentence: We would like you to give a speech at our meeting, starting at 9:00 am on October 8th. I want to know which starts at 9 am, the meeting or the speech? How can I ascertain the right choice?
Impossible to say though one might guess that the meeting starts at 9.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sassybear

Post by sassybear »

i personally think "there's a lot of people" should be right??? and the meeting probably starts at 9. not sure about it. if you are not sure, just arrive there one hour earlier lol. then i can assure you that won't be anything going wrong.
SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by SitangCampus »

Some meetings have time limits for each speaker, if anyone has his speech exceed the time, he may be asked to stop. I remembered being halted a few times at the meetings, that was very embarrassing.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

one hour early lol! They should phrase it more clearly!^^