WENT or HAVE GONE?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

BruhSFX

WENT or HAVE GONE?

Post by BruhSFX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello!

I already googled this question multiple times but haven't found the answer I needed. The question is: what's the difference between HAVE GONE and WENT?

I know that those are different tences and I also know that you obviously can't use HAVE with WENT. Most of the times I can tell the difference and can use Present Perfect and Past Simple the right way, but not in this case.

For example: I go to the mall where I have a meeting with my friends. But they're not there. I ask local staff and they tell me that my friends WENT/HAVE GONE the other way.
Which option is the right one here considering that I eventually found them as I was walking the way staff told me?

In my language we don't have such varieties of past tences so it's very difficult to understand.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: WENT or HAVE GONE?

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am

The real difference here is between Past Simple Tense (went) and Present Perfect Tense (have gone). These two tenses can sometimes have similar meanings - in fact Americans often use Past Simple when British would use Present Perfect, for example:

AmE: Did you eat yet?
BrE: Have you eaten yet?

BUT, often the meaning is very different, and you really need to study the links above.

In your specific example, AmE and BrE would generally say: They went the other way.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven