"College" and Other Requests (If Possible)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

"College" and Other Requests (If Possible)

Post by SitangCampus »

Generally, I believe 9 out of ten learners or users of English agree the word "college" means an institute of higher learning, but a while back I read the news of Hong Kong and found that many middle-level or intermediary education institutes are named "XXX College" and the attached Chinese show that they are a middle school, not the university assumed.

It also reminded me of my earlier days in Bangladesh, where I asked the local students what grade they were in, some of them told me they were college students, but it looked like they were no more than high school ones. Well, in a third country like that, some girls at a very young age become mother and it is not surprising to see them bearing their kid either in the stomach or around them to the classroom, which is no better than a cowshed.

I also want to know what kind of English language textbooks for native speakers of English use in school at various levels. Could anyone from such countries offer a list? I think if we can learn English as a native speaker the effect is different or better. Previously I bought a textbook of primary school in a rural market of Bangladesh. Though the book is in poor printing on even poorer paper, I find it interesting.

Ah, so they are different, I think I now look like Mr. Bean checking his old treasure trove in the penthouse.
Brave

Re: "College" and Other Requests (If Possible)

Post by Brave »

In British English a "college" is an educational institution, especially one providing higher education or specialized professional or vocational training. Typically, it is a place students go to after leaving their secondary school at around 17 or 18 years of age (usually instead of university). Generally a college is not a university.

But many universities also have "colleges" within themselves, with their own teaching staff, students and buildings, but these are their own divisions and have no other significance. Eg: Trinity College at Cambridge University.

Some (private) secondary schools call themselves "College", as in: Eton College, Dulwich College

Hope this helps, at least for BrE.