Grammar

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Riavl

Grammar

Post by Riavl »

I bet I'm not the first person ________ that you have a wonderful singing voice.

Could you please tell me why the right answer is ‘to tell you’ not ‘who tells you’
Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Grammar

Post by Safari »

Riavl wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm I bet I'm not the first person ________ that you have a wonderful singing voice.

Could you please tell me why the right answer is ‘to tell you’ not ‘who tells you’
Because in this context "to tell you" is English and "who tells you" is not English.
patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by patron »

Why is "who tells you " not English in this context?
Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Safari »

patron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:54 pm Why is "who tells you " not English in this context?
because
LeoYusuf

Post by LeoYusuf »

The correct answer (looking at you @Safari), is 'person' is a generic description and is thus treated as an object.
Therefore, the correct answer is "I bet I'm not the first person that tells you that you have a wonderful singing voice."
Workplace English: to help my students gain confidence and become better leaders, better entrepreneurs, and do better business.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Riavl wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm I bet I'm not the first person ________ that you have a wonderful singing voice.

Idiomatically we would say:

I bet I'm not the first person to tell you that you have a wonderful singing voice.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven