Stay in and stay at

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Cbert

Stay in and stay at

Post by Cbert » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am

Hello,

In the Coronavirus vocabulary quizz, one of the answer mention "Stay in home" but if I have written it, I would say "Stay at home".

So in what cases do we use Stay at and stay in ?

Thank you very much in advance

Have a nice day evryone

Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Stay in and stay at

Post by Safari » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:54 am

Cbert wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 am
Hello,

In the Coronavirus vocabulary quizz, one of the answer mention "Stay in home" but if I have written it, I would say "Stay at home".

So in what cases do we use Stay at and stay in ?

Thank you very much in advance

Have a nice day evryone
You are right. We do not say "stay in home". So that answer choice is not possible. It must be a different one. How about "self-isolate" :?:

Question 7:
https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/ ... 9-quiz.php

LeoYusuf

Post by LeoYusuf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:45 am

This is a very good question and I'm having difficulty coming up with a grammatically sound answer to back it up.

@Safari is correct: we say, "Stay at home." Additionally, the correct answer to question #7 could be either of the two previous choices, either "self-isolate" or "quarantine."

But the question remains: WHY is "Stay in home" not correct? We say, for example, "Shelter in place," which, essentially, is an identical construction.
Workplace English: to help my students gain confidence and become better leaders, better entrepreneurs, and do better business.

Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Safari » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 am

LeoYusuf wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:45 am
This is a very good question and I'm having difficulty coming up with a grammatically sound answer to back it up.

@Safari is correct: we say, "Stay at home." Additionally, the correct answer to question #7 could be either of the two previous choices, either "self-isolate" or "quarantine."

But the question remains: WHY is "Stay in home" not correct? We say, for example, "Shelter in place," which, essentially, is an identical construction.
tbh @LeoYusuf I don't think "quarantine" would be a suitable answer.

7. After showing symptoms he was told to _______ for 14 days.

a) quarantine
b) self-isolate
c) stay in home

It would have to be:
After showing symptoms he was told to quarantine himself for 14 days.

IMHO "self-isolate" is the only option.

Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Safari » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm

LeoYusuf wrote:

Sometimes it's hard to come up with an explanation (and here's looking at you @LeoYusuf :lol:). Sometimes learners need to learn that that's the way it is. Just like any native speaker. We didn't learn to speak English by continuously asking our parents WHY? :roll:

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm

LeoYusuf wrote:

Great answer Leo.

Sometimes there's no accounting for idiomatic expression.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

LeoYusuf

Post by LeoYusuf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Safari wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm
(and here's looking at you @LeoYusuf :lol:).
Touché
Safari wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm
Just like any native speaker. We didn't learn to speak English by continuously asking our parents WHY? :roll:
My primary school teachers would howl to read this comment. That was me, always asking 'why?' My first memory of this was in the first classes, I may have been around 8 years old at the time. The teacher gave us an assignment to cut shapes out of construction paper. Squares, rectangles, circles. Of course I needed to know why. The teacher, exasperated, said, "Just do it!" Would I have been more satisfied had she said, "Current learning theory posits that the vocabulary drills we conducted this morning are reinforced through tactile exercises. Additionally, it gives me a strong signal who amongst you might be developmentally deficient, should you have difficulty."? At least I would have admired her for making the effort.
Workplace English: to help my students gain confidence and become better leaders, better entrepreneurs, and do better business.