WHERE ARE THE GERUNDS?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

AlbaMay

WHERE ARE THE GERUNDS?

Post by AlbaMay » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 am

Hello, in a text below I was able to find a lot of participles and to infinitives but I'm struggling with recognizing the gerunds.
As a non native speaker I find it very confusing. Any tips on how to spot it?

Thank you all.

Boris Johnson was accused of failing to heed his own advice to the public over how to contain coronavirus on Friday as it emerged that he and other key government figures had themselves contracted Covid-19.
On a day of extraordinary developments at the heart of the operation to counter the virus, both the prime minister and health secretary, Matt Hancock, said they had tested positive. The chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, also reported symptoms and went into self-isolation.

But while Johnson said he would be able to continue to run the government’s response to the crisis alone in his Downing Street flat, public health experts rounded on his attitude to the infection and accused him of being “nonchalant” and “slow” to behave appropriately.
The prime minister has previously been accused of failing to keep an appropriate distance from other senior figures in public, and has continued with parliamentary duties this week, raising the possibility that he may have infected others in the cabinet and beyond.

On another day of rapid growth in the number of deaths caused by the virus, Johnson issued a video message revealing that he had developed “mild symptoms”. But he added: “Be in no doubt that I can continue, thanks to the wizardry of modern technology, to communicate with all my top team to lead the national fightback against coronavirus.”
Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, was subsequently spotted running out of No 10 and along Downing Street, apparently hoping not to be noticed.
Not long afterwards, Hancock issued his own statement saying he too had tested positive, and would be working from home. And later in the day, Prof Whitty, who had advised the prime minister to get tested, said he too was displaying symptoms.

patron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: WHERE ARE THE GERUNDS?

Post by patron » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:52 am

Try this website from Towson University which has some great flow charts and examples of how to recognize gerunds and gerund phrases.
https://webapps.towson.edu/ows/verbals.html

I hope it helps