First name and Last name

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Korby

First name and Last name

Post by Korby » Mon May 04, 2020 2:16 am

Hello

I wonder if you have four or five names and you are supposed to put your first and last name to fill a form .. what are you going to type? ( examples are much appreciated )

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: First name and Last name

Post by Joe » Mon May 04, 2020 8:43 am

Korby wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:16 am
Hello

I wonder if you have four or five names and you are supposed to put your first and last name to fill a form .. what are you going to type? ( examples are much appreciated )
Basically, if you have four names like Mary Jane Angela Smith, then you would normally put:

First name: Mary
Last name: Smith

But actually Mary has 3 first names and only 1 last name.
The last name is the surname or family name.
And normally but not always Mary will be called by her first "first name" (Mary) and use this as the "First name" on official forms etc.

But it's also possible that Mary doesn't like the name "Mary" that her parents gave her, and she prefers to use Jane. In that case, she might write:

First name: Jane
Last name: Smith

It also depends on the situation. For things like booking an air ticket, Mary will probably use Mary because that is the first "first name" printed in her passport. If she uses Jane she will confuse the airport staff and officials.

Also, some forms ask for your First Name and Second Name and Last Name (for example). In that case Mary would probably write:

Mary Jane Smith

I refer here to English-speaking nations only. Other countries may have other traditions/systems.

We won't get (too far) into people who have 2 "Last names". Those are usually but not always "double-barrelled" and hyphenated, like:

Bicheno-Smith

In that case the whole name "Bicheno-Smith" would be written as the Last name.

:mrgreen:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven