how to pronounce Aiza

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Still learning

how to pronounce Aiza

Post by Still learning »

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help with the pronunciation of the name Aiza.
My wife has chosen this name for our newborn daughter. However she pronounces it "I-za", while I think it should be pronounced "A-za".
Can someone let me know how this would be pronounced in English and why?
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: how to pronounce Aiza

Post by Joe »

Still learning wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 pm Hi All,

My wife has chosen this name for our newborn daughter. However she pronounces it "I-za", while I think it should be pronounced "A-za".
I don't think there is any general agreement on the pronunciation of Aiza "in English". Personally, as a native British English speaker my natural inclination is to say A-za, but I am equally happy with I-za - which, looking around the web, seems popular.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Still learning

Post by Still learning »

Thanks Joe, for your reply.
Just was worried the poor child would spend all her life "correcting" people on how to pronounce her name. I assumed there was a correct way to pronounce "ai" if at the beginning of the word, but probably not.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Still learning wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:57 pm Thanks Joe, for your reply.
Just was worried the poor child would spend all her life "correcting" people on how to pronounce her name. I assumed there was a correct way to pronounce "ai" if at the beginning of the word, but probably not.
English is notorious for unpredictable pronunciation, even more so with names/words which may/may not be of English origin.

St Aidan is A-dan
but aikido is I-kido
etc
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
majid

Post by majid »

Correct pronunciation of a name by others depends on many factors, and the single most important factor is whether the name is taken from local language or not. For an example, I live in India but my name is taken from Arabic language : written "Majid", pronounced maa-jed" (similar to "magic" with 'd' in place of 'c' ). However , this is what I hear many a times :maa-zid ,maa-jith . Reason : Arabic is nowhere spoken in India.

Actual correct pronunciation of Aiza will depend on the origin of this word. Google says that Aiza is found in Spanish as well as Arabic. So you'll have to decide which language you're more interested in !

Even if we find out "the correct" pronunciation, there might be some people who mispronounce it. So no need to take that "incorrect pronunciation" seriously.

PS : If Aiza comes to India, she'll find many people pronouncing her name as "Ai-ja".
reichelmarcia

Post by reichelmarcia »

Joe, I appreciate your response.
The only thing I was worried about was that the poor kid would spend her whole life "correcting" others on how they pronounced her name. If "ai" appears at the beginning of a word, I thought there must be a standard method to pronounce it.
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Murazik »

Still learning wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 pm Hi All,

It's a proper name, so it's the same way you spell it
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.
victoriaemmy

Post by victoriaemmy »

this is what I hear many a times :maa-zid ,maa-jith