An article before "article"?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

SennM

An article before "article"?

Post by SennM »

Hi, I recently ran into the following issue when drafting a contract:

A sentence ended in the words "[...] as referred to in article 26."

In my experience, the word "article" should under no circumstances have the defined article "the" in front of it. However, I have been seeing some people disagree on that topic. Could a sentence like "[...] as referred to in the article 26." be correct? Or do I understand correctly that the article should never be added before "article" in this situation?

Any help is much appreciated!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: An article before "article"?

Post by Joe »

SennM wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:19 pm Hi, I recently ran into the following issue when drafting a contract:

A sentence ended in the words "[...] as referred to in article 26."

In my experience, the word "article" should under no circumstances have the defined article "the" in front of it. However, I have been seeing some people disagree on that topic. Could a sentence like "[...] as referred to in the article 26." be correct? Or do I understand correctly that the article should never be added before "article" in this situation?

Any help is much appreciated!
...as referred to in article 26 :ok:

is correct
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven