What makes the stones move? I believe it's the wind and the sun.

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Do you think stones can move by themselves? There are some famous moving stones in Death Valley in the US. Many of the stones are small, but a few of them are very big. Some of the big stones are as big as a man. The biggest stone weighs about 350 kg.
The stones only move at night. Nobody has ever seen them moving, but now scientists know the answer to the question.
The answer is the wind. When the wind comes from the west, the stones move to the east. When the wind is from the south, they always move to the north. But how can the wind move a very heavy stone?
Death Valley is one of the hottest places in the world, but it can be very cold at night. Sometimes, there are even bad storms at night. Rain falls, and the wind is strong and cold. The water on the ground turns into ice easily. Then the strong wind can move the stones along the flat(平坦的)ground. In the morning, the sun comes up and dries the ground. So people can find that they move from one place to another in the daytime.

( )4.In fact, the stones move because of
① the sun
② the strong wind
③ the ice on the ground
④ the water in the river
A. ①②
B. ②④
C. ②③
D. ③④

darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What makes the stones move? I believe it's the wind and the sun.

Post by darcy »

The answer is C: the wind and the ice.
The final sentence in the text is confusing and needs to change to:
So in the daytime, people find that the stones have moved from one place to another during the night.