Can I rephrase the underlined like this?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Worldwide deaths from COVID-19 has surpassed 3 million, according to the latest data from John Hopkins University.
Leading in those deaths are the United States, with more than 566,000, and Brazil, with more than 368,000. They are followed by Mexico, India and the United Kingdom.
The Worldwide death toll reached 1 million in September 2020 and 2 million in January.

More than 3 million people have died from COVID-19 in the world,
zzpsx

Re: Can I rephrase the underlined like this?

Post by zzpsx »

As I put in my other threads, I am an English teacher, who is better at computer than most computer teachers here. So don't mistake me as students asking for help with their homework.
I read a lot every day,such as news on CNN, NPR, USAtoday and so on. To prevent my students from copying answers online, I change my reading materials into worksheet. Many words and sentences are difficult for college students here, let alone my middle school students, so I ask native speakers on this forum to help me rephrase them to make them easier for them.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

Your sentence is fine but the original focuses on the fact that at that time the figure moved from 2999999 to 3000000, for example:

More than 3 million people have NOW died from COVID-19 in the world.

Worldwide deaths from Covid-19 have now reached 3 million.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Food Shortages? Nope, Too Much Food In The Wrong Places
In recent days, top U.S. government officials have moved to make Americans believe that they won't lack for food, though the coronavirus is spreading across the country.
As he toured a Walmart distribution center, Vice President Pence announced that "America's food supply is strong." A former Walmart executive told reporters during a teleconference(meeting) that "there are no widespread or nationwide shortages of food, despite local reports of outages."
"There is no need to hoard," Yiannas said.
In fact, the pandemic has caused entirely(totally) different problems: a spike in the number of people who can't afford groceries and a glut(oversupply) of food where it's not needed.
Dairy farmers in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Georgia have been forced to dump(throw away) thousands of gallons of milk that no one will buy. In Florida, vegetable growers are abandoning harvest-ready fields of tomatoes, yellow squash and cucumbers for the same reason.
"We cannot pick the produce if we cannot sell it, because we cannot afford the payroll(pay) every week," says Kim Jamerson, a vegetable grower near Fort Myers. Those crops will be plowed back into the ground. "We'll have to tear them up," Jamerson says. "Just tear up beautiful vegetables that really could go elsewhere, to food banks, and hospitals, and rest homes."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------