I'm told though and but can‘t be used in a sentence. Then how about this?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

Michael Faraday was born in South London in the year 1791 into a poor family. He attended a day school where he was taught to read, write and count. When he was 13 years old, he was forced to work to help his family’s finances. He started an apprenticeship at a local book binding shop, where he would read and teach himself various scientific concepts during his spare time. He spent seven years serving his apprenticeship with the book binder. In 1810, Michael started to attend lecture classes at the John Tatum’s house. Though he attended lectures on various topics, but his main areas of interest where electricity, mechanics, and galvanism.
In 1812, Faraday got some tickets to attend a series of lectures given by Humphry Davy at the Royal Institution. Faraday made careful copies of lectures he had given. Faraday’s apprenticeship ended in 1812 and he took a job as a bookbinder. Still, Faraday was attempting to get into science, which was his real interest. In such an attempt, he wrote a letter to Humphry Davy along with the copies of notes he had taken during lecture classes. Davy was impressed with Faraday and appointed him as his assistant.
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: I'm told though and but can‘t be used in a sentence. Then how about this?

Post by darcy »

RE: 'Though he attended lectures on various topics, but his main areas of interest where electricity, mechanics, and galvanism.'

This sentence should contain either 'though' or 'but' - not both.
Though he attended lectures on various topics, his main areas of interest were electricity, mechanics, and galvanism.
OR
He attended lectures on various topics, but his main areas of interest were electricity, mechanics, and galvanism.

The original sentence also contains a spelling mistake ('where' should be 'were'). So I expect the writer was in a hurry and didn't check their work carefully.