I write the following composition for my students to recite. Any mistakes?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

Post by zzpsx »

60% of the students like the contest. They think it can improve their speaking skills. It can also make them more outgoing and confident. What's more, they can make more friends.
But 40% of them don't like to take part in it. They are afraid to make mistakes. They worry about being laughed at. They have big pressure and they are not confident enough. Besides, they have so much homework that they have little time to practice for the contest.
In my opinion, the contest is good for us. We can learn more knowledge and we can make ourselves stronger.
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: I write the following composition for my students to recite. Any mistakes?

Post by darcy »

They feel a lot of pressure and they are not confident enough.
Also, in the last line I would delete the word 'knowledge'.
hazelcb

Post by hazelcb »

When you begin a sentence with a number, you must write it out in words: Sixty percent of the students. . . .
maidensedate

Post by maidensedate »

"Sixty percent of the students like the contest. They think it can improve their speaking skills. It can also make them more outgoing and confident. What's more, they can make more friends.
But 40% of them don't like to take part in it. They are afraid to make mistakes. They worry about being laughed at. They have significant pressure, and they are not confident enough. Besides, they have so much homework that they have little time to practice for the contest.
In my opinion, the contest is good for us. We can learn more, and we can make ourselves stronger."

It might be better. When I knew English at the middle level, I always asked for help from other teachers. But then I found the source that reviewed all my papers. Everyone thinks that if you are a teacher - you know everything, but it's not. We also need help, and our students might be more clever than us.
maidensedate

Post by maidensedate »

maidensedate wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:33 am "Sixty percent of the students like the contest. They think it can improve their speaking skills. It can also make them more outgoing and confident. What's more, they can make more friends.
But 40% of them don't like to take part in it. They are afraid to make mistakes. They worry about being laughed at. They have significant pressure, and they are not confident enough. Besides, they have so much homework that they have little time to practice for the contest.
In my opinion, the contest is good for us. We can learn more, and we can make ourselves stronger."

It might be better. When I knew English at the middle level, I always asked for help from other teachers. But then I found the source https://essayreviewexpert.com/review/studymoose/ that reviewed all my papers. Everyone thinks that if you are a teacher - you know everything, but it's not. We also need help, and our students might be more clever than us.
Also this variant might be good: "They feel a lot of pressure" instead of "They have big pressure"