What about 2 and 15?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

What about 2 and 15?

Post by zzpsx »

If you have ever felt sad because of failure, please read on. Very often doing what you want to do is not the important thing. Let me explain.
Two brothers decided to dig a deep __1__ behind their house. As they were working, a couple of older boys __2__ to watch. “What are you doing?” asked one of the older boys. Then one of the brothers answered __3__, “We plan to dig a hole all the way through the __4__!” After a short silence, the older boys began to __5__, telling the younger ones that digging a hole all the way through the earth was __6__. Then one of the brothers picked up a bottle __7__ spiders and all kinds of insects. He opened and showed the __8__ things to the older boys. Then he said quietly, “ __9__ we don't dig all the way through the earth, look at what we've found along the way!”
__10__ their goal was too difficult to reach, it did cause them to dig! And that is what a goal is for—to make us move __11__ the direction we have chosen; in other words, to set us digging! But not every goal will be __12__ achieved. Not every job will end successfully. Not every love will last. Not every __13__ will be realized. But you can say, “Yes, but look at the wonderful things that I've found along the way! __14__ come into my life because I've tried to do something! It is in the digging that life is __15__. And I believe it is joy in the journey, in the end, that truly matters.”
(  )1. A. hole B. lake C. river D. sea
(  )2. A. came over B. ran away C. passed by D. went past
(  )3. A. excitedly B. exactly C. loudly D. properly
(  )4. A. earth B. land C. moon D. sun
(  )5. A. agree B. discuss C. expect D. laugh
(  )6. A. amazing B. impossible C. perfect D. wonderful
(  )7. A. fond of B. afraid of C. full of D. busy with
(  )8. A. surprising B. strange C. wild D. wonderful
(  )9. A. As if B. Even if C. Only if D. What if
(  )10. A. Although B. Because C. If D. So
(  )11. A. forward B. in C. with D. under
(  )12. A. mainly B. surprisingly C. wisely D. fully
(  )13. A. work B. dream C. hope D. thought
(  )14. A. It B. You C. We D. They
(  )15. A. acting B. starting C. living D. training

I choose come over. What do you think?
akbarzahiri

Re: What about 2 and 15?

Post by akbarzahiri »

Number 2 as you said " came over" is a better option than others as " came over in order to watch". Number 15 "living" can be the best one, I think!
darcy
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: What about 2 and 15?

Post by darcy »

re number 15: 'living' is the right word but the wrong grammar. It should be 'lived'.