What about 20?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

zzpsx

What about 20?

Post by zzpsx »

Most of us like to know where we are and where we're going. It can feel strange to be __16__. The words “being lost” make us think of a dark and scary wood or street, __17__ that's not always the case.
Once we were on holiday in Venice. My dad planned to go out to take photos early the next morning. Mom wasn't __18__ , but I would go with him, only because he __19__ I could have the biggest ever bowl of Italian ice­cream if I did. __20__ else would I get up so early?
So at 5 a.m. the next day we left the hotel and started walking in the __21__ streets. When the sun came up, Dad started taking photos and I __22__ him, down small streets and over little bridges.
After about an hour, I turned to Dad and asked, “Where are we?” He said, “I have no idea.” I immediately felt a bit __23__, but Dad just laughed and said, “We're lost!” I told him to __24__ his map or phone. He said, “I only brought the __25__. Come on, let's get more lost!” He laughed again.
His laughter __26__ me and made me feel safe. Slowly people were appearing on the streets—shops and cafes began to open.
I began to __27__ that we were lost, and just started watching and taking in everything that was happening around me.
__28__, after about four hours of walking around, we were back. Mom asked anxiously(担心地), “Where have you been?” I said with a big __29__, “We got lost!”
These days we __30__ get lost with so many things around us—maps, GPS, apps on our phones, and so on. But Dad showed me that being lost can sometimes simply be something to enjoy.
(  )16. A. alone B. lost C. afraid D. silent
(  )17. A. or B. so C. but D. and
(  )18. A. worried B. touched C. satisfied D. interested
(  )19. A. expected B. realized C. remembered D. promised
(  )20. A. How B. Why C. When D. Where
(  )21. A. modern B. noisy C. empty D. bright
(  )22. A. left B. invited C. guided D. followed
(  )23. A. scared B. hurt C. hungry D. tired
(  )24. A. pick up B. think of C. take out D. pay for
(  )25. A. map B. bowl C. phone D. camera
(  )26. A. saved B. relaxed C. stopped D. warned
(  )27. A. wonder B. forget C. imagine D. repeat
(  )28. A. Finally B. Recently C. Certainly D. Suddenly
(  )29. A. surprise B. shame C. smile D. fear
(  )30. A. hardly B. often C. nearly D. always
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: What about 20?

Post by Joe »

B.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven