have all severed ties

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Zabanamooz

have all severed ties

Post by Zabanamooz »

Hello,

Shouldn't a pronoun be placed before "ties" as in my version?

The original version:
The Vienna, Rotterdam and Munich philharmonic orchestras, in addition to the Verbier and Edinburgh Festivals, have all severed ties with Gergiev, however some have spoken out about perceived double standards of German politicians supporting his professional exile.
My version:
The Vienna, Rotterdam and Munich philharmonic orchestras, in addition to the Verbier and Edinburgh Festivals, have all severed [their] ties with Gergiev, however some have spoken out about perceived double standards of German politicians supporting his professional exile.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: have all severed ties

Post by Joe »

Zabanamooz wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:12 pm Hello,

Shouldn't a pronoun be placed before "ties" as in my version?

The original version:
The Vienna, Rotterdam and Munich philharmonic orchestras, in addition to the Verbier and Edinburgh Festivals, have all severed ties with Gergiev, however some have spoken out about perceived double standards of German politicians supporting his professional exile.
My version:
The Vienna, Rotterdam and Munich philharmonic orchestras, in addition to the Verbier and Edinburgh Festivals, have all severed [their] ties with Gergiev, however some have spoken out about perceived double standards of German politicians supporting his professional exile.
Both are possible.

Their is not a pronoun but a possessive determiner.
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/det ... essive.htm
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven