Translation

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

CaCao

Translation

Post by CaCao »

Would you like to help me explain what it is talking about? I don't really understand "missed by Washington’s Mideast- and China-obsessed elites", which is in an article named "Look South, Not East" btw.

"[Of course, the date for the trip was not movable, especially as it was precisely the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy’s declaration of the "Alliance for Progress," which brought about an industrial expansion from Mexico to Argentina.] Obama’s journey thus had a grand strategic purpose missed by Washington’s Mideast- and China-obsessed elites."

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Translation

Post by Joe »

I think it means:

...grand strategic purpose missed [overlooked] by Washington's Mideast-obsessed and China-obsessed elites

ie
The elites in Washington DC (politicians, diplomats etc) who are/were obsessed with the Middle East and with China were unaware of or did not recognise the strategic purpose of Obama's journey...
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven