what unknown rules does this adjective phrase break, if any?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Jatti

what unknown rules does this adjective phrase break, if any?

Post by Jatti »

Hi, hope somebody smarter than me can help!

In Sweden a company has to produce an annual report every year which incorporates a section on sustainability. So it is not an annual sustainability report, but rather an annual report (financial statements) and sustainability report rolled into one.

A Swedish native-speaking colleague is dead set on calling this the "Annual and Sustainability Report", but to me as a native English speaker this sounds wrong. But why? Is it just me that thinks so? I've tried analysing it from the 'OSASCOMP' perspective but these are wacky adjectives so I can't figure it out!
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: what unknown rules does this adjective phrase break, if any?

Post by Joe »

...made even wackier by the whole ESG/Davos hoax.

You are right that it is not an annual sustainability report.

But if it fulfils the function of an annual report plus a sustainability report, then "Annual and Sustainability Report" seems fair.

And indeed many large companies do the same.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Jatti

Post by Jatti »

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe it's just me overcompensating in my defences against "Swenglish" then. I just wish I could put my finger on why I instinctively dislike it.
Firefoxjo

Post by Firefoxjo »

Perhaps it's the BS factor that bothers you. Of course, an Annual Report is an Annual Report, covering everything including "sustainability". It's nonsense to raise the sustainability part to the level of the Annual Report.