Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Grammar is a waste of time.

Post by TalkingPoint »

We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English. Grammar is a waste of time.
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
sinosly

grammer's natutal in your mouth under the tongue

Post by sinosly »

you may consider grammer unnecessary,yet it's everywhere in yiourmind among your words.
innocent055

unnecessary

Post by innocent055 »

grammar,a detailed grammar is unnecessry for learners.it is making you more confused while writig and speaking.for example ı've been studying grammar for several years..however,I cannot speak and write very well although my grammar notes are high.I'm an english learner in an üniversity...

Grammar is necessary

Post by member »

Grammar is necessary to express him/herself correctly. In fact, to communicate in any language we need to form expressions by combining words according to its grammar rules. A word is in its turn just a combination of letters that has a sense according to the dictionary. Therefore, like we cannot obtain a word that has a sense by combining any set of letters, we cannot as well obtain a significant expression by combining words in any manner we want.

It is true that people can usually understand what we mean eventhough we don't respect grammar; but this is not a proof of our ability to express correctly, it is a proof of the intelligence of others, who are able to deduce what we mean from our erroneous expressions (like those of this message, which, I'm sure, won't prevent you of understanding what I would like to express!).

Abdelaziz Bouroumi
:) Rabat, Morocco
roberto correia

Grammar

Post by roberto correia »

I ever believed that grammar and lecture are necessary to understand what do you needs to win challenges . otherwise the manner to think about you speak to be missunderstood is easy! how turn able our conversation ? we have to obtain as less as the right way to find source in grammar
Last edited by roberto correia on Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris

grammar

Post by Iris »

Hi,

I agree. Grammar is very important in English. This is basic to have clear understanding in English.

But, I find it is difficult to learn and understanding Grammar . I alway make mistake in grammar . Then, it is always make a receiver will not understand , confuse or misunderstanding what I talk .

On the other hand , it is comfortable and easy to understand when I see a goods essay in which is correct grammer .

Could you advise how to learn grammer and beginning interesting? Thanks.

:wink: Iris
member111

grammar is a waste of time

Post by member111 »

grammar is quite essential in my idea. if you have to learn the language that isn't your native language, don't avoid it.
it doesn't matter if you just want to speak, but if you have to write it is a big deal.
learn and try to use it, you will find it is a piece of cake, believe me. :wink:
Iris

interest in grammar

Post by Iris »

This is great encouragement. Thank you for your advice. I found English more interest . No more dull . (especial in Grammar )

Although my English is not enough, I will keep learning and try to use . I do belive you. I will find it is a piece of cake and interest in English. I will find more treasure. Thanks. ..... :lol:
costadina

Is Grammar important

Post by costadina »

[I believe that grammar is important. It is needed in order for a language to make sense, and for others to understand what we're talking about. But it isn't everything! There are students who know the grammar rules "by heart" but can't speak or write English. I beleive that you need both grammar and vocabulary in order to communicate. I also feel that grammar is inseperable from vocabulary. :ideab][/b]

Post by Guest »

:lol: I don't think so. Grammar is a great thing. Grammar mistakes lead to misunderstanding. but I don't watn to talk about grammar I want to talk about everything you like. my E-mail kozlov1979@mail.ru but most interesting is car tuning. Glad to hear from anybody.
Lynne

You need grammar

Post by Lynne »

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but you cannot speak, write or fully understand English without a good grasp of grammar.

I always tell my students that if you think of vocabulary as the bricks of a language, grammar is the mortar that holds it all together and helps you build structures that won't fall down around your ears.

Some grammatical mistakes are not a problem but others can be disastrous.

Consider the difference between:-

"I forgot feeding the dog."

and

"I forgot to feed the dog."

One of these sentences is disastrous for the dog. But which one?

Learn English
micle222

english grammar

Post by micle222 »

i donot think it is very useful of the english grammar,i have learned english about six years,during this years i spent all the time on it,and also got high score,but i cannot communicate with others,because when we chat with others we should not very slowly think about the grammar,and i think the best way is just readingand reading[/b]

Re: Grammar is necessary

Post by Guest »

You have right.I would like to speak together more .Can you give me your e-mail?
I would like to know more about your country and your religion.
Magda
Romania

Post by Guest »

No wonder... Birds of a feather flock together.
Grammar IS necessary - take it or leave it.
Otherwise, I mean what I say would equal I say what I mean.
Seems you mean to say you don't mean to say much. In this case just a smile will tell everything. No need to beat about the bush... er... Wouldn't it be a stupid smile?.. :?
Olga

Grammer is a waste of time

Post by Olga »

OK. Every language consists of three elements: grammer, lexic and sounds. And you should not neglect any of these element, otherwise you will be understood incorrectly. Of course, you can help yourself with mimicry and gestures, but there are different situation, for example, when you ringing somebody up. That`s why I strongy recommend you to study English grammer properly. And you will be always equal to the occasion.
maha

hi

Post by maha »

well hi every one .
Ithink that grammar is important to learn the language , but only if we concedered the age of our pupils .
but as a teacher I think that the less we give ciriculam the more they can understand the language . Beside we can give more activiteis and explinations for them .
oh, one more thing i discovered that my pupils like to learn through plying .
maha

hi againe

Post by maha »

hi againe everyone
I guset wont to say that Im looking for friends
If you wont you can visie my in my e-mail :
mazoon@bareed.com

Post by Guest »

Likewise it is cheerfully. Thinking logically to feel confidenly about reading English
Babelia

Post by Babelia »

Hello everyone,

I have read most of your opinions and I find them fairly interesting as they show the different ways to approach the learning of a foreing language.

I think that there is no one single or correct answer to that question. All depends we need the language for: children just need some words to supply their immediate necessities, no matter about countability. On the other hand, unlucky you if you don't know the difference between verb tenses in your FCE!

Kind regards,
Babelia.
luckiestman

We should discuss more specially about English grammar !

Post by luckiestman »

Hi,I'm a new member of our Forum.I'm having many problems with English,because I very like this topic.I think that Grammar is a bored subject but so necessary in English,because without it,we cannot communicate properly with others,we can't speek,we can't read and we can't understand others .I feel that it is very difficult to learn English grammar,although I tried to study it.I'm looking some friend who has the same objective and problems in English.I hope will receive your replies,you can send mail for me at:
*******.com

Help me ! Help me ! Please help me ! I have got many problem

Post by Guest »

Hello ! I have got many problems with Grammar,so I cannot have any inspied so as to study it,therefore I feel so bored with English Grammar.Although I'm trying to learn Grammar,but mastering it is a too big program for me,because I hope that,you will help me.Please give me some advice about learning English Grammar method.I'm really grateful about your help
dinukumar7

We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English.Gram

Post by dinukumar7 »

Hi Iam new member of this forum . I have been facing many problem with english . so Iam very impressed on this topic . Grammer is necessary to understand language .we cannot go ahaed in any language without grammer. english isnot exception from that . Iam searching good way to know english grammer ,give me good advice whatever you can do .
dinu.
Mandy2

Post by Mandy2 »

I believe that grammar is important, because it encodes meaning and thus promotes understanding. Well, I can't speak for all of you, but when someone learns a foreign language, his/her goal over time is usually that the grammatical system of the language becomes "internalized". That is, the learner's brain correctly - or at least somewhat correctly - and subconsciously forms words and combines those words into sentences as they quickly rush out of the learner's mouth. Know what I mean?

Yeah I know, acquiring this ability takes time, but don't give up!
Let's assume that you just started to learn English (including grammar) - don't let your inability to produce grammatically perfect sentences keep you from trying to communicate. Communication can take place also when your grammatical ability in a language is weak. But hey, all of us had the same problem at the very beginning. Don't get discouraged and continue your studies. You'll succeed :-)

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:No wonder... Birds of a feather flock together.
Grammar IS necessary - take it or leave it.
Otherwise, I mean what I say would equal I say what I mean.
Seems you mean to say you don't mean to say much. In this case just a smile will tell everything. No need to beat about the bush... er... Wouldn't it be a stupid smile?.. :?
:?: Huh???????? and please don't say "take it or leave it" because it's rude. You can express your opinion, but don't be rude. The "take it or leave it" makes a person sound like he/she having a bad attitude. If you're learning a language, learn how to talk nice. 8)

Post by Guest »

Babelia wrote:Hello everyone,
I think that there is no one single or correct answer to that question. All depends we need the language for: children just need some words to supply their immediate necessities, no matter about countability. On the other hand, unlucky you if you don't know the difference between verb tenses in your FCE!

Kind regards,
Babelia.
:?: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I DO NOT understand what you're trying to say. It's really confusing. Are you trying to say that we don't need to learn grammar since kids don't learn grammar and they can talk? If this is what you're trying to say, can I ask you that you can see the difference between us and kids? We're not kids. We don't have to talk like kids. Besides, the difference between an educated person and an uneducated person is the way that person talks or writes. If you're in college and you talk or write like a 6 year-old kid, do you ever think of which way people will look at you? Studying is necessary and it doesn't matter what we should study for.
birrel

Post by birrel »

You are the typical posh who thinks that speaking posh English is the best.

Post by Guest »

birrel wrote:You are the typical posh who thinks that speaking posh English is the best.
"either you don't do it or do it right" applies for everything--not necessary English.
Judy2004

Grammer is necessary and useful.

Post by Judy2004 »

Hi,everyone
Before I can speak English, I have the same feeling as others that grammer is useless,because I still can not open my mouth to speak English,however,I had got high marks in every examination. Now,I can communicate with others in English easily,the more I speak, the more I feel the importance of grammer.

When we speak English, it can be divided into three stages.The first is to greet with people,which is the basic and simple stage.The second is to discuss and the third is to debate,obviously,the latter two stages are more difficult and require more skills including the deep understanding of basic language knowledge,which is grammer. Suppose you are discussing or debating with your opposite,even if you make a small mistake in grammer,it can be the achilles' heel which the opposite take advantage of and attack you with. Any hope of your winning,therefore, will reduce to ashes. So is when you are making presentations and being interviewed and so on.

Grammer is not very important,which is applied in such situation that we learn to speak English.When we start to speak English,we are instructed not to bear much grammer knowledge in our mind and not to mind making grammer mistakes,otherwise it is very difficult to make progress.

Besides,a suggestion is made to measure the level of mastering grammer that if you can not explain the grammer points in an logical way in English,you can not say you have grasped it.
Judy2004

Re: Grammar is necessary

Post by Judy2004 »

member wrote:Grammar is necessary to express him/herself correctly. In fact, to communicate in any language we need to form expressions by combining words according to its grammar rules. A word is in its turn just a combination of letters that has a sense according to the dictionary. Therefore, like we cannot obtain a word that has a sense by combining any set of letters, we cannot as well obtain a significant expression by combining words in any manner we want.

It is true that people can usually understand what we mean eventhough we don't respect grammar; but this is not a proof of our ability to express correctly, it is a proof of the intelligence of others, who are able to deduce what we mean from our erroneous expressions (like those of this message, which, I'm sure, won't prevent you of understanding what I would like to express!).

Abdelaziz Bouroumi
:) Rabat, Morocco

What you have said is concise and to the point.You can combine you precious thoughts with good grammer knowledge very well,It is also a proof that grammer is necessary and important to express any of our ideas,if we can not present them in an right and suitable way which should follows the basic grammer rules,How can we be understood?How can I appreciate you?
Thank you for the good explanation.
luckygirl9

Grammer:necessary but not crucial

Post by luckygirl9 »

Sometimes grammer exercises really made me sick,there are too many grammers in English,who create this languge? :lol: Actually,I have enough ability to tough it out!If you catch every grains of it,you will be baffled.
Look throughout the English grammer,you will find that some of them do not obey the rules or laws all the time.And I think,the english speaking countries has the authorities to control their languge,and we should follow what they did.For example,the popular word used by many of us,"wanna" maybe comes from other counry nation in the first place,but then obsorbed into English later on.We all know that "wanna" means "want to",but when we use it,we often put a verb just after it.That's the obvious differnce to other verbs.
thinlion

Post by thinlion »

I think grammar is very important in English.It help me to speaking english better.Maybe many people expect grammar isn't important but with me It's very interested because I'm a vietnamese so I need it very much for study of mine.It is true for people who their country use to english

oh god I have to go to school

Post by Guest »

googl wrote:I think that grammar is very important. Every language has got many rules. And English (unlike my native language) has got VERY easy rules. .
What's your native language?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

I think English is the easiest language to learn.It aslo has more original words than any other language. That is why it became a global language.

_Arale_

Post by Guest »

googl wrote:Polish. Do you know any natural language easier than English?
I don't think there is such an easy language to learn. If not, we wouldn't say learning takes time. A language or something you wanna learn will be easy for you. It will be easy for you and hard for those who don't have enough passion in the thing they're forced to do. So, the bottom line is things will be easy for those who have enough passion to do things they wanna do. :wink:
meiya

test

Post by meiya »

Grammar is rule not truth.It is made,not found.so take it easy.
NiceOne

Post by NiceOne »

Well, I think grammar is important though its difficult to learn and memorise all rules and regulations along with exceptions. When ever I read any thing which is perfect grammatically it is so easy to understand, this is the difference of grammar. I believe most of the English learners including me try to translate their native language into English which is not correct, English has its own pattern, i am no more following local authors books for English language because they have their own mixed version which is harmful for a learner. Regular efforts are required to master in grammar, one should never forget that till death we are learners, so don’t worry, when ever what ever you come across to something new try to learn it.
:lol:
Share Your Ideas to Make Life More Beautifull !
anilakyol

Post by anilakyol »

Without looking others posts I will have to say that I agree partly.If a teacher focuses on grammar too much and doesnt give importance to other components such as speaking and listening,it becomes waste of time.But in order to speak accuretely a person should know grammar of the language he or she wants to speak. :wink:
Honey

Post by Honey »

It highly depends on how it's taught and the learning strategies of every student. In my case, I can't live without grammar issues in class. I don't know why; it's somehow-somewhere and I-don't-know-what that attracts me in Grammar... maybe it's the best for very structural minds... Like mine! :cry:
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

If you don't have much to say you don't have to learn grammar. And a few words will suffice. It certainly depends on personal ambitions.

Then again, why do you need a language you don't have anything to say in?
There are passive speakers, so to say, who enjoy listening and don't want to bother others with their personal interpretations and opinions concerning the heard. But how can they be sure they understand the said correctly? Practice shows they can, and they usually are. The less you know the more you are ignorant and arrogant.

Grammar IS important!!!

Post by Guest »

GiddyGad wrote: The less you know the more you are ignorant and arrogant.

Grammar IS important!!!
Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is being an ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?
Coolfish

Post by Coolfish »

It deponds on which level of English speaker you like to be. Only being a speaker, the grammar might not be so necessary.
To me, I'd like my English to be perfect. You must learn it without choice.
mrnadeemkhan

Re: Grammar is a waste of time.

Post by mrnadeemkhan »

It is absolutely wrong, that the Grammer is a waste of time, because grammer shows us how to present the PAST , PRESENT and FUTURE, if you dont know the grammer exactly how you will specify something about time. and even the grammer makes your words sophisticated. So everyone talks should be with manners . right.
thanks
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?
This I could not disagree with, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?
We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?
Last edited by GiddyGad on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

GiddyGad wrote:
simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?
This I could not disagree, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?
This is ignorance to me.
GiddyGad wrote:We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?
Oh yes, definitely. Arrogance, ignorance or confidence is a state of mind showing through attitude. It depends on how much one thinks he/she knows about things and the way he/she's showing what he/she knows. Right?
Like people who think they don't need to learn English grammar for whatever reason and it's not important are ignorants to me. People who think they should not learn English grammar because their English is good enough are arrogants to me. And people who think they should know learn more English grammar although they've known something about it and their English are quite good are confidents to me.
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!
sandra

Post by sandra »

Hello, dear all!

If you don't have a good sense about how to use proper grammer.The thing you speak scattered.Teacher or Friends maybe would think it's ok, it takes time.But what if you do business with others?People would think you are unprofessional and they are tend to build up a barrier between you and them and feel reluctant to accept you.

What's more,if you don't spend time on leanring grammar,you could never speak as native and natural as you hope to be.

I said so cause i have a friend who learnt almost 10 years of english but still couldn't speak out a whole correct sentence.

:oops:
Coolfish

Post by Coolfish »

RedRose wrote:For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!
I don't think so. It is also very important for a native speaker, cause he was not only just speaking to others. When he was writing or making a speech, a good grammar is necessary.

If we, non-native speakers just wanted to talk in English, grammar wasn't so important too.