Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

thinlion

Postby thinlion » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:05 am

I think grammar is very important in English.It help me to speaking english better.Maybe many people expect grammar isn't important but with me It's very interested because I'm a vietnamese so I need it very much for study of mine.It is true for people who their country use to english

oh god I have to go to school

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:54 pm

googl wrote:I think that grammar is very important. Every language has got many rules. And English (unlike my native language) has got VERY easy rules. .

What's your native language?

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:04 pm

I think English is the easiest language to learn.It aslo has more original words than any other language. That is why it became a global language.

_Arale_

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:21 pm

googl wrote:Polish. Do you know any natural language easier than English?

I don't think there is such an easy language to learn. If not, we wouldn't say learning takes time. A language or something you wanna learn will be easy for you. It will be easy for you and hard for those who don't have enough passion in the thing they're forced to do. So, the bottom line is things will be easy for those who have enough passion to do things they wanna do. :wink:

meiya

test

Postby meiya » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:28 pm

Grammar is rule not truth.It is made,not found.so take it easy.

NiceOne

Postby NiceOne » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:10 am

Well, I think grammar is important though its difficult to learn and memorise all rules and regulations along with exceptions. When ever I read any thing which is perfect grammatically it is so easy to understand, this is the difference of grammar. I believe most of the English learners including me try to translate their native language into English which is not correct, English has its own pattern, i am no more following local authors books for English language because they have their own mixed version which is harmful for a learner. Regular efforts are required to master in grammar, one should never forget that till death we are learners, so don’t worry, when ever what ever you come across to something new try to learn it.
:lol:
Share Your Ideas to Make Life More Beautifull !

anilakyol

Postby anilakyol » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Without looking others posts I will have to say that I agree partly.If a teacher focuses on grammar too much and doesnt give importance to other components such as speaking and listening,it becomes waste of time.But in order to speak accuretely a person should know grammar of the language he or she wants to speak. :wink:

Honey
Silver Member

Postby Honey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:15 pm

It highly depends on how it's taught and the learning strategies of every student. In my case, I can't live without grammar issues in class. I don't know why; it's somehow-somewhere and I-don't-know-what that attracts me in Grammar... maybe it's the best for very structural minds... Like mine! :cry:

GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby GiddyGad » Wed May 18, 2005 1:04 pm

If you don't have much to say you don't have to learn grammar. And a few words will suffice. It certainly depends on personal ambitions.

Then again, why do you need a language you don't have anything to say in?
There are passive speakers, so to say, who enjoy listening and don't want to bother others with their personal interpretations and opinions concerning the heard. But how can they be sure they understand the said correctly? Practice shows they can, and they usually are. The less you know the more you are ignorant and arrogant.

Grammar IS important!!!

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2005 6:46 pm

GiddyGad wrote: The less you know the more you are ignorant and arrogant.

Grammar IS important!!!

Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is being an ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby Coolfish » Fri May 20, 2005 2:43 am

It deponds on which level of English speaker you like to be. Only being a speaker, the grammar might not be so necessary.
To me, I'd like my English to be perfect. You must learn it without choice.

mrnadeemkhan

Re: Grammar is a waste of time.

Postby mrnadeemkhan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:21 am

It is absolutely wrong, that the Grammer is a waste of time, because grammer shows us how to present the PAST , PRESENT and FUTURE, if you dont know the grammer exactly how you will specify something about time. and even the grammer makes your words sophisticated. So everyone talks should be with manners . right.
thanks

GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby GiddyGad » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:36 pm

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

This I could not disagree with, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?
We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?
Last edited by GiddyGad on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:23 am

GiddyGad wrote:
simplyblessedwithlove wrote:Sometimes, an individual knows too much and still is... ignorant or arrogant. It could happen, don't you think?

This I could not disagree, Blessed. You never know too much. Again, if one says that something (s)he doesn't know and feels boring to learn is unimportant, isn't it arrogance?

This is ignorance to me.

GiddyGad wrote:We all are unaware of many things and, therefore, ignorant - it's true and goes without saying. But can you be arrogant in what you know well enough?

Oh yes, definitely. Arrogance, ignorance or confidence is a state of mind showing through attitude. It depends on how much one thinks he/she knows about things and the way he/she's showing what he/she knows. Right?
Like people who think they don't need to learn English grammar for whatever reason and it's not important are ignorants to me. People who think they should not learn English grammar because their English is good enough are arrogants to me. And people who think they should know learn more English grammar although they've known something about it and their English are quite good are confidents to me.

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:18 pm

For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!

sandra

Postby sandra » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:41 am

Hello, dear all!

If you don't have a good sense about how to use proper grammer.The thing you speak scattered.Teacher or Friends maybe would think it's ok, it takes time.But what if you do business with others?People would think you are unprofessional and they are tend to build up a barrier between you and them and feel reluctant to accept you.

What's more,if you don't spend time on leanring grammar,you could never speak as native and natural as you hope to be.

I said so cause i have a friend who learnt almost 10 years of english but still couldn't speak out a whole correct sentence.

:oops:

Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby Coolfish » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:16 am

RedRose wrote:For a native, grammer isn't so important, because he naturally know how to express himself clearly in english, but for a non-native speaker, grammer is so important!

I don't think so. It is also very important for a native speaker, cause he was not only just speaking to others. When he was writing or making a speech, a good grammar is necessary.

If we, non-native speakers just wanted to talk in English, grammar wasn't so important too.

RedRose

Postby RedRose » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 am

No, grammer is important.

for us, Chinese grammer is different than English grammer. if we don't know english grammer, then our english must be confusing. at least english speakers can't undertstand it.

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”