We are all basically selfish.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

iamvitaly

Post by iamvitaly »

I think that it's true! It's rule of ourtimes. We can't live without this strain. But degree of this is different for others...
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Respectfully

Post by Bambang »

baobao wrote:I have read a book that said a debate can't judge it right or wrong,because there are always pro and contra right.
Nothing's wrong with debate. The most important thing is how we react to a debate properly. A debate can sharpen our understanding about something.

Nice to meet you too my fellow Indonesian.
himizi

Post by himizi »

I can't agree with you.
hedwig14

Post by hedwig14 »

i believe we are. Now, those people who'd react hard on this, ponder: For once in your life, didn't you think of saving your own neck before others.
It's human nature. We people tend to think of ourselves first before we try to do something good to others.
But human as we are, there are still those times we we become selfless and think of others. I hope there are still people who are like that. I can't guarantee myself all te time. ^__^
Alfabeto

Post by Alfabeto »

When people say that "we're all basically selfish" they are equivocating, or confusing, different meanings of the word "selfish". Of course we are all concerned with our own survival, but man is a very weak animal on his/her own. We all depend on other people. So there is a clear social dimension to all of us. We would not exist as individuals, as persons, without a group or a society. And social life requires that we look after the interests of other people too and not just ourselves. So we're basically unselfish too. If you treated other people like ~ all the time, they would treat you badly too, and eventually you would die in total isolation.
keenlearner

Re: We are all basically selfish.

Post by keenlearner »

Hi there,

I think it is true but we should find a balabce between ourselves and others. indeed, I am trying to be good with others and deal with them as the same way that I eccept them to do in return...We are really selfish but we can overcome it....
:lol:
herione

Post by herione »

becuase we just thinking about our self and after the other

so we are selfish
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

I agree with you
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

Yes. We are selfish in essence. I think that the basis of our civilization is sustained by two main columns: selfishness and sex.
Elisa
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elisa »

Yes, I think we are basically selfish but the question is :" how much selfish are you"?

There are people totally selfish and other reasonably selfish.

I think to be a reasonably one.
hilaryprk

Post by hilaryprk »

Human beings are naturally animals, selfish is a human concept. So the technical answer to your question is yes we are naturally selfish.
But,its really about the survival instinct, all animals are selfish when it comes to survival, procreation and nurture are close to it in dominance of instinct though, that's why most humans and animals protect their young fiercely and why we are all driven to have sex frequently.

So, I believe the hardest thing for humans to overcome is pride and selfishness.