International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Post by Guest »

Why not? :?:
A french girl

Why English ?

Post by A french girl »

:D Hello everybody!
I live in "la Réunion" ( it's an island in the Indian ocean) and I personally think that everyone should learn english because it's an intenational language very used in all the World. But I learn german and spanish too and I think that we should learn other languages as english too because we can't forget that there are a lot of languages spoken in the World for exemple chinese which should be very useful ! So the good solution consists in learning the most of languages that we can do !
I'm sorry if I've done mistakes because I don't speak english very well but I hope that you see more or less what I mean...

:) Goodbye :)
moi_la_debile

nah

Post by moi_la_debile »

hahahahaha
galina

International Communication. Why English?

Post by galina »

English is known in most countries in the world. And, it difficult to imagine what else language can impose the role of the multinational one.
Majority of people are most likely to learn English as yeh most popuilar language. I think there is no alternative for English.

Post by Guest »

English will be defeated sooner or later :twisted: :evil:
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

English as a second language

Post by Pirate »

International communication with English? YES if you are talking about sharing a second language. All nations will absolutely keep their own languages alive and growing FOREVER:!:

English has some couples of advantages to be chosen as the language for communicating between people around the world. It already has a great number of speakers, not only native speakers from Britain, USA, Australia, New Zealand or Singapore. There are also many countries where English is one of their official languages like India, Pakistan, South Africa or Canada. Because of that foundation, more and more people are learning English. Further more, all the newest discoveries together with new terms and concepts are described and propagated in English, whereas the human's biggest and most widely used library, also the most convenient source of information -the internet- is mainly in English.

Yes, some opinions are very right to show one reason that England and the USA are two of the world's leading developed countries and obviously they have sweeping affection on others. I don't think their economy -which is considered the most important spearhead of a country- can easily go down in the future.

But i don't totally agree with the historical reason written above which gave the English language its present standing in the world today. English used to be forced to learn in the settlements of British and American empires. So do you remember the countries that had to fight for their independence including the freedom to speak our own language? Let's take an example with my country Vietnam. Depending on our well-known history with many struggles against big evaders, we have some generations with fluency in Chinese and French. Many old Vietnamese also know Russian very well because of our good relationship with Russia. BUT nowadays, young people CHOOSE ENGLISH. I don't deny that maybe the reason is that English is taught here for small pupils. But youngsters can easily choose another languages because they are attractive and sound better than English such as French, Spanish, Italian or even complicated Japanese. Actually the young people do that. The fact is still the same : English is used most :!:

So why should we choose English? In my opinion, English is easier than quite a lot other languages for all of us to learn. For example the conjugation is simpler than French and it doesn't have feminine and masculine words. It is also being simplified to be even more simpler. Many words can be used with different functions (verb, noun, adj, adv...) in the unique form. Anyway it is still a natural language so it is more beautiful than artificial ones like Esperanto which is actually less complicated.

If you still don't like or don't know why so many people learning English, :idea: :arrow: plz visit LEARNING ENGLISH forum to see how actively the world is learning this cool language. :wink:
birrel

Post by birrel »

"For example the conjugation is simpler than French and it doesn't have feminine and masculine words. It is also being simplified to be even more simpler."

As a Spanish-speaker, Italian is much easier than English for me. Moreover, there are lot of languages, like Japanese, which has no genders and conjugation at all.

Take care
kino

Post by kino »

from my point of view, English is comparatively easier to learn.
And also, because of the economic and political powerfulness of British Nation in the past, this language had been brought to the world, so we may say language/culture can only be wheeled by power(economic/cultural/political,etc)
live to suffer, live to endure
kino

Post by kino »

so we may say, language is imposed by powerfulness
live to suffer, live to endure
mona

why English is international language?

Post by mona »

[b]Am an Arabic ..and studdied English but i guess that there are so many reasons to justufy why english is the chosen language to be spread over the world and as the international language ..its so roouted case..we cant limit it within lines ..its due to Early occupation and demonation by the British Impire ..which imposed the English language over all occupied countries ..Simply coz its the language of power now ..and where as power then there is aids for this power ..now its language ..but its a good language any way and easy to be studdied ..i like it my self ..[/b]
Mona
Mandy2

Post by Mandy2 »

Linguistic researchers are claiming more frequently nowadays that the Anglo-American dominance is coming to an end, in terms of global languages. David Graddol, a British linguistic researcher had recently an article about the topic in the professional magazine 'Science'.

Well, it's natural to have changes in the worldwide system of languages. English, once safely atop the league table in terms of the number of native speakers, has now been relegated to the second spot behind Chinese. Considering that there are more than 1.1 billion people who grow up with the Chinese language in all its variations as their mother tongue, three times more than the number of English native speakers, it is hardly surprising that Chinese 'might' become the dominant spoken language in these terms or at least will stay one of the dominant ones.

However, English will still have its place. While researchers see the future as being multi-lingual, English will continue to be one of those languages that most people will learn and can use when in a foreign land of which the native tongue is not known.
gulf girl

Post by gulf girl »

Ammmm
This Question is not objective. Because each will say that his/her language should be the #1 internationally !!
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.

Post by Guest »

serviceboy wrote:I do hate English,for it does not strictly change its form as French does.
I always misspell some words.French, in my opition is the best language in the world. Why so many people nowadys have to learn English? NOt for England is rich,but for America is rich.
Before most lands in the world were British, French, Spanish, or Portuguese colonies. Thus, people from all over the world were speaking either English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. But, after WWII, most countries were dead from that war and I mean "economics" were dead. Only America could survive. With that advantage, American business grew strong and stronger. To be doing business with America, most countries needed to speak English. Britain already had that benefit since they spoke English and they had a lot of lands. Say, if you need something from someone, you have to be able to tell that person what you need; that's the reason why English were spread all over the world. By the way, British currency is still the highest on the market. Nowadays, you can choose not to speak English. It's your choice, but it doesn't hurt you if you know another language. The more languages you know, the better it is for yourself.

Re: English as a second language

Post by Guest »

pirate wrote: So do you remember the countries that had to fight for their independence including the freedom to speak our own language? Let's take an example with my country Vietnam. Depending on our well-known history with many struggles against big evaders, we have some generations with fluency in Chinese and French.
The Vietnam war was basically a civil war--the North and the South were fighting each other, if you didn't know. Why do you think that many Southern Vietnamese left Vietnam and some of them got rapped by the Thailand pirates or couldn't make it at all to the new lands?

Post by Guest »

I don't think you could see my private message that I've sent you long time ago for some reason that we all know why....here it is again....

"The Vietnam War was a second phase of fighting in Vietnam. In 1946 Vietnam was part of the colony of French Indochina and the Vietnamese fought for their independence. The United States provided military equipment, but the French were defeated in 1954. Vietnam was then divided into North and South Vietnam.
Communists saw the Vietnam War as an extension of their struggle with France, as another attempt by a foreign power to rule Vietnam, and as a war of national liberation. China and the Soviet Union supported the Vietnamese Communists with war materials but not troops.
The Vietnam War can be separated into different periods based upon the United States involvement. From 1957 to 1965, the war was mainly a struggle between the South Vietnamese army and Communist-trained South Vietnamese rebels known as the Viet Cong. The U.S. provided military advisors. The first U.S. troops entered Vietnam in March 1965. Until 1969, North Vietnam and the United States did most of the fighting. By 1969, the Vietnam War seemed endless, and the United States slowly began to withdraw troops. In January 1973, a cease-fire was arranged. The last U.S. ground troops left Vietnam two months later. Despite the treaty fighting between North and South Vietnam resumed soon afterward, but U.S. troops did not return. The war finally ended on April 30, 1975 when South Vietnam surrendered to North Vietnam. "

"The Vietnam War was the longest war in which the United States took part. The war began in 1957 and ended in 1975. At that time, Vietnam was separated into Communist-ruled North Vietnam and noncommunist South Vietnam. North Vietnam wanted to end U.S. support of South Vietnam and to unite the north and south into a single nation. The United States and the South Vietnamese army tried to stop them."

"1.8 million Vietnamese arrived safely and found resettlements, and about 80,000 to 200,000 perished at sea during their attempts. The Vietnamese asylum seekers flow continued to increase significantly in refugee centres in Hong Kong and Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia. The overwhelming arrivals of the Vietnamese were not only unwelcome but also refused asylum and forced back to sea. Back out at sea, they drifted on their crowded, fragile, and unequipped fishing boats and about 77% encountered Thailand pirate attacks on average of 3.2 times per boat in the 1980s. A few lucky ones who escaped the pirate murders, abductions and rapes were then either rescued by international rescue boats or landed into Indonesia or even deserted island, while other were repatriated back to Vietnam.

Many Southerner soldiers died during their "re-education" because of harsh conditions. If the North wanted to joined the nation back, then why did those soldiers have to be forced in jails, which are in jungle. Re-educate for what IF there were really fighing with the North over the Americans? Don't you see this is not making any sense? They were forced to be "re-educated" only because THEY WERE FIGHTING OVER THE NORTH.
Waqar Javed

Post by Waqar Javed »

I think English is the best choice for an International language
because so many people around the world are using English as a tool of communication and there is no another language which meets with the international standard. It is easy to learn because there are so many facilities available now a days for improving.

waqarjaved@msn.com
I can't change the direction of the wind but I can adjust my sails to my destinations.
Judy2004

Post by Judy2004 »

I think English is the best choice of international communication.
Nowdays,if you cannot understand English, you will lose all the opportunities associatied with English. It is undoubted that English is the essential capability for people all over the world.
English is easy and straight-forward,just like the way of the English people thinking,which also aids in English becoming the common tool of international communication.
However,it is also important to develop our native languages. Everyone regards his/her native language as the best language and can use it freely,furthermore,our native languages reflect the culture of the nation. We should respect each language and try to save it from dying out.
I think English just acts as the media when we say English is the best choice of international communication.
[/b]
strange

Post by strange »

hi all
i thinhk this subjest was too old. Why i must study english meantimwe my friend play a game. there is only reason: english is international language. why? forget it!! why don't we talk about something such as: what level you got or, why my neighbouring always smile when i see her.....so on.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

I like English and England so I think English is the best choice .It is a global language . I hope I could come England where I could speak English with native ones .

_Arale_
birrel

Post by birrel »

I hate the English. They are posh
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_

Post by Guest »

Arale wrote:Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_
Yup, not all of them. You can't base your opinions on one or two persons you've met, birrel. That's stereotype. By the way, I like English too. At least I don't have to remember the sex genders for things like inanimate objects. That's nonsense to me, no offense.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?

Post by Guest »

maryemily wrote:but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?
Long before American economy got strong English was already used in some part of the world due to English colonization. Nowaday English is used more than other languages (well, second most language is used after Chinese) for international communication because British had and maybe still has many colonies that speak English, American has a strong economy that most of people want to do businesses with. Therefore, people speak English to be able to do business with them. If you have noticed, Spanish, French, and Chinese are used widely also. It's not just English.
Business is a hard-core competitive field, you have to do anything to satisfy your clients. If they want something in their language, you have to translate your products, ideas, memos, etc to their language. You can't just use English and tell them if they don't understand you, it's their problem. If you do that, you'll lose a business. My boyfriend works for a translation company. They try to translate everything in business to certain language that their clients demand. Thus, although America has a strong business, we still need people from other countries to do business with us and we have to do our best to satisfy them. We have people who can speak several languages or tools that the clients can understand the products in their own language. It makes them feel more comfortable.
For personal used, for an example, I speak Vietnamese, you speak your language, we both don't understand each other but if we learn a certain language in common, why don't we use that to communicate? It can be anything, don't have to be particularly English. If I knew French and so did you, we both could speak French to each other instead of English, right?
Overall, the choice is yours.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Post by Guest »

maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....
Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.
moonie

acceptance

Post by moonie »

usuing english as their international language is not choosen by force,,but only has been usuing because for their practical need of use for convenient communication.or for their efficiency of competiveness,,,by preoccupied culture...which is aleady splead global-wide. thereby...in our generation has no choice to choose their international language... on top of that..actually apperantly it is impossible to choose it individually cause..language is not only for comunication but also for sharing and acquanting in it's own culture.. eventhough we wanna get language as a new one which seems to be fair but it shouldn't be happened or reversed by one night.
Maeve

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by Maeve »

[quote="TP"]
I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by Guest »

Maeve wrote:
TP wrote: I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:
:roll: it's already number one most speaking language based on their population. There's a stereotype that for every four people in a group, there will be one Chinese person.
ndt7981

Post by ndt7981 »

Maeve, I think that Chinese might be more popular in future. But in my opinion, English is much more easier to learn than Chinese.
armmy

Post by armmy »

language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.
the new day is coming when the sun is up!
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

armmy wrote:language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.
Language is often used in communicate in the world. If we talk about something, we must speak the same language, right? So, I think we must have the same language whether you have any purpose to learn English or Chinese or other language. :)
mehrin

Re: English is one of the Choices.

Post by mehrin »

kathy wrote:I think English is widely spoken nowadays that's for sure but it doesn't have to be the only tool for people to communicate. If you have a penpal from another country which might inspire you to talk to your friend in his or her language. That is more funny.
I'm a native Chinese and Chinese is the language becoming more and more important. Chinese has the largest spokers in fact!
If you like I can help you with that!
A sincere person,
Kathy
I think english is a only tool for people to communication. I think english is a international language, and english is your passport, you can see the modren technology the internet, they have english access, and thats why we are here for learning english.
I am from Pakistan in my country in every scools they laern our native language but english too. And english is one of the our compulsary subject. In my opinion if you dont know english in this computarised world that means you are nothing.When i cant speak or understand english i feel shy.
But remember dont forget your native language its you ID.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

so answer me: Why is English the universal language?????
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:
maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....
Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.

so answer me: Why is English the universal language???? demanded even to pass in school year in countries like Brazil?
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

maryemily wrote:When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....
sorry, it was a stupidity. but, for example, I will try to explain what happens here in Brazil. Here, students learn English in school, must have know this language to find jobs, etc, here, there are English even in banks, shoppings, but not for tourists, for us. Students usually ask why do they have to know English, of course, teachers tend to answer that the reasons come from international bussiness. But it makes us realize that as EUA is a great economic power, the use of English as the bussiness language is a consequence from it, of course, a consequence from the great technological advance also. But, we, Brazilians are passive related to this language, a person said that language is related to identity, yeah, here Brazilians speak Portuguese with English, people name things with English words.....But, English as the mundial language is not a choice, it is a consequence from the economic development that ocurred in Eua x a low one in many other countries. For example, here, we also make bussiness with our neighbour countries that have Spanish as language. But Spanish is not tha mundial language because the world makes more bussiness with Eua thanwith Spanish language countries. So, it is a consequence. So, not a choice at all......... What do you think?
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

there are the possibility that in some years Spanish come to be the mundial language, because the international relation that exists aong countries that use that language......It proves that the fact tha alanuage is demanded as the mundial one is a consequence from comercial interests, not a choice at all....not a metalinguistic choice.

Post by Guest »

maryemily wrote:so answer me: Why is English the universal language?????
I think you're in denial because the question is already answered. For some reason, you don't seem to accept the fact it's already answered.

Post by Guest »

maryemily wrote:
maryemily wrote:When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....
sorry, it was a stupidity. but, for example, I will try to explain what happens here in Brazil. Here, students learn English in school, must have know this language to find jobs, etc, here, there are English even in banks, shoppings, but not for tourists, for us. Students usually ask why do they have to know English, of course, teachers tend to answer that the reasons come from international bussiness. But it makes us realize that as EUA is a great economic power, the use of English as the bussiness language is a consequence from it, of course, a consequence from the great technological advance also. But, we, Brazilians are passive related to this language, a person said that language is related to identity, yeah, here Brazilians speak Portuguese with English, people name things with English words.....But, English as the mundial language is not a choice, it is a consequence from the economic development that ocurred in Eua x a low one in many other countries. For example, here, we also make bussiness with our neighbour countries that have Spanish as language. But Spanish is not tha mundial language because the world makes more bussiness with Eua thanwith Spanish language countries. So, it is a consequence. So, not a choice at all......... What do you think?
You don't have a choice anymore based on economy-wide because thing is already set. Your country is way behind in economy. That's why you've losen your choice to choose. You speak Portuguese because you were colonized by Portugal. Now your country starts to associate with English because you need that for business. How do you know people in business field who know how to speak Spanish don't speak it with Spanish people? You can't be sure about that, right?
Before that, English, French and Spanish were used widely but now more people know how to speak English so base on international wide, bigger field, things are set and you hardly choose if you're behind others. But if in a smaller field, like I said, personal things, you can choose.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

[/quote]You don't have a choice anymore based on economy-wide because thing is already set. Your country is way behind in economy. That's why you've losen your choice to choose. You speak Portuguese because you were colonized by Portugal. Now your country starts to associate with English because you need that for business. How do you know people in business field who know how to speak Spanish don't speak it with Spanish people? You can't be sure about that, right?
Before that, English, French and Spanish were used widely but now more people know how to speak English so base on international wide, bigger field, things are set and you hardly choose if you're behind others. But if in a smaller field, like I said, personal things, you can choose.[/quote]

yeah....that is right....now, I understand what you mean.... :D
mercy

Post by mercy »

I guess the best solution is to learn all the languges in the world .. it's amazing . isn't it ?
yes i like to know how diffrent countires talk and comunicate with each other
and i like too much to know more cultures .. and the language reflect the country's cultutre

what do you think?
^עידן^
birrel

Post by birrel »

There is a nice analogy with the international use of the English language. Nobody would claim that English is particularly well suited to be the world's lingua franca by virtue of its intrinsic beauty, simplicity, or utility. Yet it is certainly the language in which citizens of different countries most often converse and do business, and increasingly so. One chooses to use a lingua franca, as one chooses a currency, in the belief that it is the one others are most likely to use, and moreover one can earn more money
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

History gives the best explanation possible for EL popularity: an aggressor never feels like learning the language of a defeated country. Aggression can be financial, economic, military, cultural... Language popularity only indicates who is the aggressor. The same was with Latin, French, German, Russian and other languages. A local population, a people being under aggression, is either friend or foe: either a puppet in the hands of the aggressor or, as it is interpreted nowadays, a 'terrorist', 'separatist, 'anti-globalist' etc. Both friend and foe need the language of the aggressor for their (so different) purposes. Language popularity is practical. Are you ready to sell yourself (soul and body) and betray your own people and culture? Or are you going to use your knowledge for the benefit of your culture, your people? Its a moment of truth.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

German is not so difficult.. well maybe writing is difficult. In chinese is surely writing the hardest part but... in reality I don't know anything about Chinese.
Garine Keller

Post by Garine Keller »

I think the English is a very important linguage, but it's not there more. In the globalization world, don't have a necessary universal linguage. Always haven a many forms to comunicate.
It's important that any people good learn first your linguage for after learn others linguages. That it's the point.