International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, TalkingPoint

mona
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:09 pm
Location: kuwait

why English is international language?

Post by mona » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:50 pm

[b]Am an Arabic ..and studdied English but i guess that there are so many reasons to justufy why english is the chosen language to be spread over the world and as the international language ..its so roouted case..we cant limit it within lines ..its due to Early occupation and demonation by the British Impire ..which imposed the English language over all occupied countries ..Simply coz its the language of power now ..and where as power then there is aids for this power ..now its language ..but its a good language any way and easy to be studdied ..i like it my self ..[/b]
Mona

Mandy2
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Post by Mandy2 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:13 pm

Linguistic researchers are claiming more frequently nowadays that the Anglo-American dominance is coming to an end, in terms of global languages. David Graddol, a British linguistic researcher had recently an article about the topic in the professional magazine 'Science'.

Well, it's natural to have changes in the worldwide system of languages. English, once safely atop the league table in terms of the number of native speakers, has now been relegated to the second spot behind Chinese. Considering that there are more than 1.1 billion people who grow up with the Chinese language in all its variations as their mother tongue, three times more than the number of English native speakers, it is hardly surprising that Chinese 'might' become the dominant spoken language in these terms or at least will stay one of the dominant ones.

However, English will still have its place. While researchers see the future as being multi-lingual, English will continue to be one of those languages that most people will learn and can use when in a foreign land of which the native tongue is not known.

gulf girl
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:16 pm

Post by gulf girl » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:04 pm

Ammmm
This Question is not objective. Because each will say that his/her language should be the #1 internationally !!
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:41 pm

serviceboy wrote:I do hate English,for it does not strictly change its form as French does.
I always misspell some words.French, in my opition is the best language in the world. Why so many people nowadys have to learn English? NOt for England is rich,but for America is rich.
Before most lands in the world were British, French, Spanish, or Portuguese colonies. Thus, people from all over the world were speaking either English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. But, after WWII, most countries were dead from that war and I mean "economics" were dead. Only America could survive. With that advantage, American business grew strong and stronger. To be doing business with America, most countries needed to speak English. Britain already had that benefit since they spoke English and they had a lot of lands. Say, if you need something from someone, you have to be able to tell that person what you need; that's the reason why English were spread all over the world. By the way, British currency is still the highest on the market. Nowadays, you can choose not to speak English. It's your choice, but it doesn't hurt you if you know another language. The more languages you know, the better it is for yourself.

Guest

Re: English as a second language

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:00 pm

pirate wrote: So do you remember the countries that had to fight for their independence including the freedom to speak our own language? Let's take an example with my country Vietnam. Depending on our well-known history with many struggles against big evaders, we have some generations with fluency in Chinese and French.
The Vietnam war was basically a civil war--the North and the South were fighting each other, if you didn't know. Why do you think that many Southern Vietnamese left Vietnam and some of them got rapped by the Thailand pirates or couldn't make it at all to the new lands?

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon May 17, 2004 11:54 pm

I don't think you could see my private message that I've sent you long time ago for some reason that we all know why....here it is again....

"The Vietnam War was a second phase of fighting in Vietnam. In 1946 Vietnam was part of the colony of French Indochina and the Vietnamese fought for their independence. The United States provided military equipment, but the French were defeated in 1954. Vietnam was then divided into North and South Vietnam.
Communists saw the Vietnam War as an extension of their struggle with France, as another attempt by a foreign power to rule Vietnam, and as a war of national liberation. China and the Soviet Union supported the Vietnamese Communists with war materials but not troops.
The Vietnam War can be separated into different periods based upon the United States involvement. From 1957 to 1965, the war was mainly a struggle between the South Vietnamese army and Communist-trained South Vietnamese rebels known as the Viet Cong. The U.S. provided military advisors. The first U.S. troops entered Vietnam in March 1965. Until 1969, North Vietnam and the United States did most of the fighting. By 1969, the Vietnam War seemed endless, and the United States slowly began to withdraw troops. In January 1973, a cease-fire was arranged. The last U.S. ground troops left Vietnam two months later. Despite the treaty fighting between North and South Vietnam resumed soon afterward, but U.S. troops did not return. The war finally ended on April 30, 1975 when South Vietnam surrendered to North Vietnam. "

"The Vietnam War was the longest war in which the United States took part. The war began in 1957 and ended in 1975. At that time, Vietnam was separated into Communist-ruled North Vietnam and noncommunist South Vietnam. North Vietnam wanted to end U.S. support of South Vietnam and to unite the north and south into a single nation. The United States and the South Vietnamese army tried to stop them."

"1.8 million Vietnamese arrived safely and found resettlements, and about 80,000 to 200,000 perished at sea during their attempts. The Vietnamese asylum seekers flow continued to increase significantly in refugee centres in Hong Kong and Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia. The overwhelming arrivals of the Vietnamese were not only unwelcome but also refused asylum and forced back to sea. Back out at sea, they drifted on their crowded, fragile, and unequipped fishing boats and about 77% encountered Thailand pirate attacks on average of 3.2 times per boat in the 1980s. A few lucky ones who escaped the pirate murders, abductions and rapes were then either rescued by international rescue boats or landed into Indonesia or even deserted island, while other were repatriated back to Vietnam.

Many Southerner soldiers died during their "re-education" because of harsh conditions. If the North wanted to joined the nation back, then why did those soldiers have to be forced in jails, which are in jungle. Re-educate for what IF there were really fighing with the North over the Americans? Don't you see this is not making any sense? They were forced to be "re-educated" only because THEY WERE FIGHTING OVER THE NORTH.

Waqar Javed
Silver Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:37 am
Location: Pakistan

Post by Waqar Javed » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:44 pm

I think English is the best choice for an International language
because so many people around the world are using English as a tool of communication and there is no another language which meets with the international standard. It is easy to learn because there are so many facilities available now a days for improving.

waqarjaved@msn.com
I can't change the direction of the wind but I can adjust my sails to my destinations.

Judy2004
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Post by Judy2004 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:04 pm

I think English is the best choice of international communication.
Nowdays,if you cannot understand English, you will lose all the opportunities associatied with English. It is undoubted that English is the essential capability for people all over the world.
English is easy and straight-forward,just like the way of the English people thinking,which also aids in English becoming the common tool of international communication.
However,it is also important to develop our native languages. Everyone regards his/her native language as the best language and can use it freely,furthermore,our native languages reflect the culture of the nation. We should respect each language and try to save it from dying out.
I think English just acts as the media when we say English is the best choice of international communication.
[/b]

User avatar
strange
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:29 am
Location: outspace
Contact:

Post by strange » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:07 am

hi all
i thinhk this subjest was too old. Why i must study english meantimwe my friend play a game. there is only reason: english is international language. why? forget it!! why don't we talk about something such as: what level you got or, why my neighbouring always smile when i see her.....so on.

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Post by Arale » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:04 pm

I like English and England so I think English is the best choice .It is a global language . I hope I could come England where I could speak English with native ones .

_Arale_

birrel
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Post by birrel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:44 pm

I hate the English. They are posh

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Post by Arale » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:34 am

Arale wrote:Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_
Yup, not all of them. You can't base your opinions on one or two persons you've met, birrel. That's stereotype. By the way, I like English too. At least I don't have to remember the sex genders for things like inanimate objects. That's nonsense to me, no offense.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:40 pm

but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?

Guest

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:25 pm

maryemily wrote:but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?
Long before American economy got strong English was already used in some part of the world due to English colonization. Nowaday English is used more than other languages (well, second most language is used after Chinese) for international communication because British had and maybe still has many colonies that speak English, American has a strong economy that most of people want to do businesses with. Therefore, people speak English to be able to do business with them. If you have noticed, Spanish, French, and Chinese are used widely also. It's not just English.
Business is a hard-core competitive field, you have to do anything to satisfy your clients. If they want something in their language, you have to translate your products, ideas, memos, etc to their language. You can't just use English and tell them if they don't understand you, it's their problem. If you do that, you'll lose a business. My boyfriend works for a translation company. They try to translate everything in business to certain language that their clients demand. Thus, although America has a strong business, we still need people from other countries to do business with us and we have to do our best to satisfy them. We have people who can speak several languages or tools that the clients can understand the products in their own language. It makes them feel more comfortable.
For personal used, for an example, I speak Vietnamese, you speak your language, we both don't understand each other but if we learn a certain language in common, why don't we use that to communicate? It can be anything, don't have to be particularly English. If I knew French and so did you, we both could speak French to each other instead of English, right?
Overall, the choice is yours.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:14 pm

but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Guest

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:29 am

maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....
Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.

moonie
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:56 am

acceptance

Post by moonie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:04 am

usuing english as their international language is not choosen by force,,but only has been usuing because for their practical need of use for convenient communication.or for their efficiency of competiveness,,,by preoccupied culture...which is aleady splead global-wide. thereby...in our generation has no choice to choose their international language... on top of that..actually apperantly it is impossible to choose it individually cause..language is not only for comunication but also for sharing and acquanting in it's own culture.. eventhough we wanna get language as a new one which seems to be fair but it shouldn't be happened or reversed by one night.

User avatar
Maeve
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Shanghai,China
Contact:

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by Maeve » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:15 am

[quote="TP"]
I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:

Guest

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:14 am

Maeve wrote:
TP wrote: I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:
:roll: it's already number one most speaking language based on their population. There's a stereotype that for every four people in a group, there will be one Chinese person.

User avatar
ndt7981
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:32 am
Location: Vietnam

Post by ndt7981 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:34 am

Maeve, I think that Chinese might be more popular in future. But in my opinion, English is much more easier to learn than Chinese.

armmy
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:28 am
Location: china

Post by armmy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:49 am

language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.
the new day is coming when the sun is up!

User avatar
Maeve
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Shanghai,China
Contact:

Post by Maeve » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:11 am

armmy wrote:language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.
Language is often used in communicate in the world. If we talk about something, we must speak the same language, right? So, I think we must have the same language whether you have any purpose to learn English or Chinese or other language. :)

mehrin
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Re: English is one of the Choices.

Post by mehrin » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:02 pm

kathy wrote:I think English is widely spoken nowadays that's for sure but it doesn't have to be the only tool for people to communicate. If you have a penpal from another country which might inspire you to talk to your friend in his or her language. That is more funny.
I'm a native Chinese and Chinese is the language becoming more and more important. Chinese has the largest spokers in fact!
If you like I can help you with that!
A sincere person,
Kathy
I think english is a only tool for people to communication. I think english is a international language, and english is your passport, you can see the modren technology the internet, they have english access, and thats why we are here for learning english.
I am from Pakistan in my country in every scools they laern our native language but english too. And english is one of the our compulsary subject. In my opinion if you dont know english in this computarised world that means you are nothing.When i cant speak or understand english i feel shy.
But remember dont forget your native language its you ID.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:52 pm

so answer me: Why is English the universal language?????

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:54 pm

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:
maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....
Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.

so answer me: Why is English the universal language???? demanded even to pass in school year in countries like Brazil?

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:34 pm

maryemily wrote:When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....
sorry, it was a stupidity. but, for example, I will try to explain what happens here in Brazil. Here, students learn English in school, must have know this language to find jobs, etc, here, there are English even in banks, shoppings, but not for tourists, for us. Students usually ask why do they have to know English, of course, teachers tend to answer that the reasons come from international bussiness. But it makes us realize that as EUA is a great economic power, the use of English as the bussiness language is a consequence from it, of course, a consequence from the great technological advance also. But, we, Brazilians are passive related to this language, a person said that language is related to identity, yeah, here Brazilians speak Portuguese with English, people name things with English words.....But, English as the mundial language is not a choice, it is a consequence from the economic development that ocurred in Eua x a low one in many other countries. For example, here, we also make bussiness with our neighbour countries that have Spanish as language. But Spanish is not tha mundial language because the world makes more bussiness with Eua thanwith Spanish language countries. So, it is a consequence. So, not a choice at all......... What do you think?

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm

there are the possibility that in some years Spanish come to be the mundial language, because the international relation that exists aong countries that use that language......It proves that the fact tha alanuage is demanded as the mundial one is a consequence from comercial interests, not a choice at all....not a metalinguistic choice.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:35 pm

maryemily wrote:so answer me: Why is English the universal language?????
I think you're in denial because the question is already answered. For some reason, you don't seem to accept the fact it's already answered.

Guest

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:45 pm

maryemily wrote:
maryemily wrote:When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....
sorry, it was a stupidity. but, for example, I will try to explain what happens here in Brazil. Here, students learn English in school, must have know this language to find jobs, etc, here, there are English even in banks, shoppings, but not for tourists, for us. Students usually ask why do they have to know English, of course, teachers tend to answer that the reasons come from international bussiness. But it makes us realize that as EUA is a great economic power, the use of English as the bussiness language is a consequence from it, of course, a consequence from the great technological advance also. But, we, Brazilians are passive related to this language, a person said that language is related to identity, yeah, here Brazilians speak Portuguese with English, people name things with English words.....But, English as the mundial language is not a choice, it is a consequence from the economic development that ocurred in Eua x a low one in many other countries. For example, here, we also make bussiness with our neighbour countries that have Spanish as language. But Spanish is not tha mundial language because the world makes more bussiness with Eua thanwith Spanish language countries. So, it is a consequence. So, not a choice at all......... What do you think?
You don't have a choice anymore based on economy-wide because thing is already set. Your country is way behind in economy. That's why you've losen your choice to choose. You speak Portuguese because you were colonized by Portugal. Now your country starts to associate with English because you need that for business. How do you know people in business field who know how to speak Spanish don't speak it with Spanish people? You can't be sure about that, right?
Before that, English, French and Spanish were used widely but now more people know how to speak English so base on international wide, bigger field, things are set and you hardly choose if you're behind others. But if in a smaller field, like I said, personal things, you can choose.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:34 am

[/quote]You don't have a choice anymore based on economy-wide because thing is already set. Your country is way behind in economy. That's why you've losen your choice to choose. You speak Portuguese because you were colonized by Portugal. Now your country starts to associate with English because you need that for business. How do you know people in business field who know how to speak Spanish don't speak it with Spanish people? You can't be sure about that, right?
Before that, English, French and Spanish were used widely but now more people know how to speak English so base on international wide, bigger field, things are set and you hardly choose if you're behind others. But if in a smaller field, like I said, personal things, you can choose.[/quote]


yeah....that is right....now, I understand what you mean.... :D

User avatar
mercy
Silver Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:35 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Post by mercy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:13 pm

I guess the best solution is to learn all the languges in the world .. it's amazing . isn't it ?
yes i like to know how diffrent countires talk and comunicate with each other
and i like too much to know more cultures .. and the language reflect the country's cultutre


what do you think?
^עידן^

birrel
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Post by birrel » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:40 pm

There is a nice analogy with the international use of the English language. Nobody would claim that English is particularly well suited to be the world's lingua franca by virtue of its intrinsic beauty, simplicity, or utility. Yet it is certainly the language in which citizens of different countries most often converse and do business, and increasingly so. One chooses to use a lingua franca, as one chooses a currency, in the belief that it is the one others are most likely to use, and moreover one can earn more money

User avatar
GiddyGad
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Russia

Post by GiddyGad » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:32 pm

History gives the best explanation possible for EL popularity: an aggressor never feels like learning the language of a defeated country. Aggression can be financial, economic, military, cultural... Language popularity only indicates who is the aggressor. The same was with Latin, French, German, Russian and other languages. A local population, a people being under aggression, is either friend or foe: either a puppet in the hands of the aggressor or, as it is interpreted nowadays, a 'terrorist', 'separatist, 'anti-globalist' etc. Both friend and foe need the language of the aggressor for their (so different) purposes. Language popularity is practical. Are you ready to sell yourself (soul and body) and betray your own people and culture? Or are you going to use your knowledge for the benefit of your culture, your people? Its a moment of truth.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Post by Hardi » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:24 am

German is not so difficult.. well maybe writing is difficult. In chinese is surely writing the hardest part but... in reality I don't know anything about Chinese.

Garine Keller
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Brasil
Contact:

Post by Garine Keller » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:32 am

I think the English is a very important linguage, but it's not there more. In the globalization world, don't have a necessary universal linguage. Always haven a many forms to comunicate.
It's important that any people good learn first your linguage for after learn others linguages. That it's the point.

Andrefm
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:01 am

Post by Andrefm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:33 am

:) I like English as an international language, i'm used to see movies and listening to songs in English. I like to discover what they're saying (I get angry if can't but that's ok ). Learning English's important to me cause I use it in my job and I want to travel abroad someday. The most important is being proud of your native language, because it means your identity.
hi. i' Andre. I'm from Brazil. I like music...

gislaine
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:47 pm
Location: brazil

Post by gislaine » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:34 am

I think that english is the best language to learn on a international level because is a easy one to learn,lets face it it is everywhere. For example:the USA has spread its culture around the world with music,movies and of course with politics.Its no surprise that youth today is breading the american way of life.
Bye,gi
i would like to correspond with people of all parts of the world

Rodrigo Klassen
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:35 am

i think it depends on the situation. an example: for business english is already the international language used around the world. and it works out very well.
Although, we have to consider that english is the language spoken in the most rich countries in the world and this is a great reason to have it as an international language.
But economic changes can happen, maybe in the future it'll be necessary to learn languages sponken at asia or south america.
so, in my opinion, actually english is the easier way to comunicate with all the world but i'm sure it can changes across the times.
Last edited by Rodrigo Klassen on Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
there's no space here to write everything i wanted

User avatar
Guilherme
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:43 pm
Location: Brazil

Why English?

Post by Guilherme » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:39 am

Because English is the language of the "powerful's world" then all want to absorb your culture, and the language is the first step. Also the USA is a "power technological" being necessary to know English for used.


:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

wilfford
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:48 pm

Post by wilfford » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:59 am

hi people,
i'm marcio ,from brazil, and in first place i really enjoy the english language.if portuguese was the language most spoken in the world,i'd think that it would be the best language to the world,if i would be a chinese citizen, i could think that the chinese language is the best language and so :evil:
there must be a standart of language,and if english is most spoken, why not be the standart language?
i´m from brasil and i'm really excited to know anybody.

thinhare
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:01 pm

Post by thinhare » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:18 pm

Hey, people,

It's not something about "the best". It's just about "the defacto".

Anin
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:02 pm
Location: Slovakia

English

Post by Anin » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Hi everybody :) ,
Have ypu heard that in the USA they were choosing between English and German to became their official language?
Finally, English had won and I think it was the best result. My mum is a teacher of German, and when I saw the German Grammar and heard the hard pronunciacion I totally gave up the idea of learning German.
I love English :!: I have been learning that beautiful language more than 13 years (since 5) and I have never regretted the choice of it.
And, what about Spanish? It is supposed to have more learners than English by the year 2010. Do you think Spanish could threaten the leadership of English among the world languages?
Last I want to add is that English surely become the world´s number one because of its flexibility. There are millions of ways to express everything you want. Moreover it uses shortened forms which are much easier for remembering. This is the disadvantage of German, that the vocabular contains lots of words that are extremely long.
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.

User avatar
Honey
Silver Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Colombia
Contact:

Post by Honey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:22 pm

English is one of the easiest languages (for not saying it's the easiest... yes, believe it: the easiest!) language to learn. Its system is easy to elarn, and one of the only difficulties would be its pronunciation. Nonetheless, one aspect that makes it a bad thing - although it's not in English itself - is the fact that a culture is being transmitted with it, as well. So we must be very careful for that.

What if Chinese were the chosen language? (and it's not so far from today, as I can see :lol:)

authorityquery
Silver Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by authorityquery » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:03 pm

I think english has been used like an international language for along time . And it's Ok I like it very much even my conditions 's poor. But noproblem, importance you want to study English.
English 's stiill accepted in the world and maybe in the future, who knows, international languages next 50 years.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

sky888walker
Silver Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:02 am

I dont think we have any other choice... Simple answer

Post by sky888walker » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:35 am

Guys, i dont think we have any other choice. If i had any chance to choose any language to be an international language, i would choose my own language.

Whether you like it or not, no matter how good your reasons are, you have to live with it. English (bless all english speaking people) has been luckily chosen as one of international languages.

Simple answers, simple words, from a simple man.. lol

User avatar
GiddyGad
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Russia

Post by GiddyGad » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 pm

authorityquery wrote:I think english has been used like an international language for along time . And it's Ok I like it very much even my conditions 's poor. But noproblem, importance you want to study English.
English 's stiill accepted in the world and maybe in the future, who knows, international languages next 50 years.
Thanks.
English became international only after 1945, after the WW2, when American soldiers appeared in Europe and Far East. There's no wonder: it's simpler to teach a foreign language to local folk than to soldiers.

The popularity of the English language will fade away like any other international language of the Past: Greek, Latin, Arab, French, Spanish, German, Russian... The list is endless. To cut it short, it's catching but it'll pass.

So far it is popular and more advantageous for non-native speakers than for native speakers: it gives non-natives an opportunity to see the world with the eyes of another culture; and it deprives natives of the necessity to understand other cultures....

keling
Silver Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:10 pm
Location: china

international communication

Post by keling » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:13 pm

language is a tool of communication

the more the population , the more popular is their language

english is an ancient language in the world for the long history

of the country .furthermore , the britian has colonized many

countries in middle 19century it's language is inevitable

transport to those countries which been colonized by it

sunnyni
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:47 am

Post by sunnyni » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:27 am

There are too many reasons forEnglish to be a global language.

From the history, UK is the first colonial contry , they brought English into others countries around it during the aggression. It was a chance for English to spead abroad.
From the technology, so many high techinal issues ,reports are written in english. If we want to study it , we must master English. For UK and USA are two leader in the scienece and tchnology. And i wondered why they are the leader in the science and tchnology , i believed hisorical aggression is the vital factor.
From the economy, UK and USA accelerate the economy went up. Now the UK and USA will increase their points for the economy increase. So they started to invest in other countries,where they can find more low-cost laboure and material. This is the second chance to spread English , lead english to be a global language. why UK and USA can accelerate the economy development, I believe it is hisorical aggression is vital factor too.

So , in one word , It is historical reason made English into common use.

Pixie
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by Pixie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:37 pm

English ain't that 'easy' although people keep saying that, they're wrong. When I first started off with learning english, i told myself " damn, t'is rather easy ". When you got basics, it becomes more complicated, because english vocabulary is imo endless.

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Post by Rui » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:59 pm

i agree with all the things that have been said until now, but please don't change the internacional language now, i'm making a big effort to handle with english 8)

User avatar
GiddyGad
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Russia

Post by GiddyGad » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:09 pm

hehehe,

Don't worry :lol:

Noone's gonna displace English being international, as long as it is INTERNATIONAL English. International English is quite different from any national English. That's why oftentimes native speakers are of no help here.

Smiles,
GiddyHad

trinity19
Silver Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Barcelona

Post by trinity19 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:26 pm

i think the "choice" of the international language in every moment of history depends on the economical power of that moment, not on which one is the easiest one so, as history changes, the international languahe will change.and i hope i don't have to live it cuz i'm not capable of learning another language! lol

netyugi
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:53 am
Location: CHINA

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by netyugi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:45 am

Maeve wrote:
TP wrote: I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:
I agree with you!

User avatar
jackiee
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:12 pm
Location: Tainan,Taiwan

Post by jackiee » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:35 pm

hi,everyone,
I think that English is the best choice for an international
language, because there are many nations use it,so it is a very
convenient tool. we have to accept it.however you like it or not,but we have to realize . basically ,it is only an international
communication tool. :lol: :lol: :lol:

willzheng
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:51 am
Location: China

Re: We want French

Post by willzheng » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:38 am

French Guy wrote::( , I would prefer that the french language became the most popular language around the world, because I'm a french guy and it's easier for me to speak french.
But I understand that english speaking is today the most wide-spread for several reasons.
During the last four centuries the UK was the first colonial country, therefore the english language is now known by practically all the big nations. It's why it's a wise solution to approve the english language as the most popular.

(his teacher says)
However it should be remembered that at the time that the british empire was expanding so too was the french. It was perhaps only by the luck of history(France not wanting to push for colonies in india, france pulling out of america, they made perhaps not the best choice by concentrating on Africa, and of course Napoleon losing at Waterloo) that we go to McDanalds and order a Big Mac. It could so nearly have been La Grande Mac.
Donc Voila Quoi
yes,that is Right.it is a fact that most people when they go out to other countries they speak English,and they don't know your native laguage,so ohters want to talk with them,so they speak English.
And we can't choose,so we have to lear english inorde to talke with others

User avatar
CityYoung
Gold Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: UnderTheTree

Post by CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:39 pm

I think english is the best beacuse most of the country teach english or use english 8)

User avatar
DocAndy
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Austria / Vienna

Re: We want French

Post by DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:11 am

Of course.
Every person would prefer his own language.
My prefer is German. :roll:

But it isn't. So I have to learn english.
My problem is to talk in English with people. Because I live in Austria and talk all day long German.
However!
:shock:
We can communicate and the best way now is English.

cheers
Doc

French Guy wrote::( , I would prefer that the french language became the most popular language around the world, because I'm a french guy and it's easier for me to speak french.
But I understand that english speaking is today the most wide-spread for several reasons.
During the last four centuries the UK was the first colonial country, therefore the english language is now known by practically all the big nations. It's why it's a wise solution to approve the english language as the most popular.

(his teacher says)
However it should be remembered that at the time that the british empire was expanding so too was the french. It was perhaps only by the luck of history(France not wanting to push for colonies in india, france pulling out of america, they made perhaps not the best choice by concentrating on Africa, and of course Napoleon losing at Waterloo) that we go to McDanalds and order a Big Mac. It could so nearly have been La Grande Mac.
Donc Voila Quoi

User avatar
harvester
Gold Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by harvester » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:14 pm

TP wrote:Do you think that English is the best choice for an international language? Why? Why not?
I am not sure, but nowadays in many countries children start learning English early, when they go to school and then they finish their training later on. For example in my country (Vietnam), English is one of the main subject at school; however, some school have French beside English.
I think English is very common and very useful. If you think about it, there are so many words,for example to do with computer, particular the people working in big companies, they have to travel a lot and do business with other contries..., E can help you to communicate together easily. Eglish is the most widely used around the world. It has been used in all the fields of public activily. If you master it, you can go to any continent in the world, I think, I mean it easier to understand the other countries.
We are the world,

Freyda
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:33 am

Hi!!

Post by Freyda » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:35 am

Hey..guys...

Well... here i think that English be as International Language because of it is used widely and most people able to communicate and read using English. Thus, that's maybe the one of the reasons why it happen.

But, other language also got power right? It just the matter that seems everyone agree with the English use.

To me, English also is easier to learn than the other language such as Spanish and Frances.

User avatar
Cucumber
Silver Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:14 pm
Location: Grantham, Lincolnshere, UK

Post by Cucumber » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:14 pm

The simplest language in the world is russian! I know this because I I'd learnt it when I was only 1,5. Now I'm not so yong but other languages is so difficult to me!

kathymimi
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 am
Location: China

Post by kathymimi » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:32 am

maybe English is not the best choice for international communication, but it does happen.
English is using worldwide now because it is the language of business and, there are so many English clubs or forums like this that help the spread of the language.

if there are more and more people around the world use another language, such as Chinese, French, Germany or, some else, in their daily lives, that will take place of English.

whether using English when communicating with others is not the point, the custom of using it is.

User avatar
Laxuan
Silver Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Trang Bom , Dong Nai

Post by Laxuan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:42 am

Nowadays people using english as a native language is still increasing but quite slowly to compare with some other language such as chinese, japanese, french. so in the future, I think english wont be the most popular language

chenggiant
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:02 am
Location: singapore

Post by chenggiant » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:07 am

This is what i want to know. Now, i have got the answer from the disscussion.

kalery
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:46 am
Location: China

Post by kalery » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 am

My native language is Chinese.But I have to learn English in order to find a good job and communication with foreigners .Lots of companies require the graduates pass a English Exam named CET when he graduate from university.If you master this language and can speak it fluent,you can have more opportunities.So in my Country,many parents send their children to have a English Class when they are only 3-year-old even more younger....

ailamvn
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 5:39 am

Post by ailamvn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 am

i think the choice of being an international language depends on the power of the country who owns it. Let's imagine that i have my own language which is very hard to speak and understand both in the way to use and communicate, but i have a great power that made my language become yours, and how's on? you do surely have to learn and use it although you find it not easy at all. Thus ditto the English language! it is chosen to be our language 'coz it is powerful and got familiar to all for a very long time in the past that you will find it outstrategous and ridiculous when using something else as the common bridge to everyone...
By the way, English is really great to speak!
Last edited by ailamvn on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuongviet
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:49 pm
Location: vietnam

English why

Post by cuongviet » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:56 pm

English should become the international communication languages. because the following reasons:
+ many powerful countries, which have great effects on the world's economy, are using english as their mother languague such as America, canada, british...So, people who can speak english is an great advantage.
+ English comprises of about 60% of impormation on the internet.( I am not sure about the percentage)
+ Human must choose a common language to be a intenational one. It makes our lives easier. people from diffrent countries speak the same language. We don't need to study many languages. We can save our time for other activities. :wink: :mrgreen:

klistenes
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Turkey

Post by klistenes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:31 pm

In my opinion ,instead of discussing whether english language is best or not , we should focus on the people's personalities , as we r people , whatever languages which we speak , if we have not honesty , the languages is not important

sak
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:25 pm
Location: vietnam

Post by sak » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:09 am

klistenes wrote:In my opinion ,instead of discussing whether english language is best or not , we should focus on the people's personalities , as we r people , whatever languages which we speak , if we have not honesty , the languages is not important
I agree, there s no need to discuss whether english is the best or not.we use it but we can talk in other languages too. the comon language is only a shorter and easier way to communicate.I myself like to study many languages not only to communicate but to enjoy and study the variety of others.English is one of them

greencat
Silver Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:20 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by greencat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:04 pm

I like to learn a lot of foreige languages, too. ^^
But, in my opinion, english is still the best choice for an international language. Why?
Firstly, it has been very popular, as others have said above.
Secondly, I suppose that English is a simple one to learn, in comparison with other language. It doesn't mean learning english is easy, but at least it is more easy than the others. (maybe this reason is a little objective)

In fact, it was not until I learned chinese did I realize english is the best language, and how I love it.

Lac
Silver Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:07 am
Contact:

English is the best choice ?

Post by Lac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:35 am

I dont think English is the best choice for international communications. So is any language in the world. It's no matter to this common language with better pronunciation or vocabulary than other one. The matter is how you find it convenient for a real commnunication. We dont forget that commnunication is only the part of a culture. And the mastering of this part does not mean you have a thorough knowledge of the culture, not to mention the communication itself has lots of different categories.
I dont think English would dominate overwhelmingly over other languages owing to its very almost worldwide commoness. Its universal role would change some day before another language (Chinese, French, Spanish ,who know ?) rising.
However,it would take a long time to see that change.
Nowadays we come across something like Singlish in Singarpore, and probaly in future there would be "Philish", "Chinish", ettc....
If so, English itself would be far more abundant than ever as in comparison to its now vocabulary of more than 1 million words.
To my humble thought, English is not quite easy compared with some of other languages. If Italy and Spains are relatively simple to learn, why one dont use them as the main international communication ?
It's evidenly that the commoness of the language is totally dependent upon reasons, even the shaping history of the language as well as other objective grouds.
The topic of English language is an immense one not limited within few pages. If we call Enlgish as the best commnunication, we equally recognize what lies behind the communication. All the roads must lead to Rome. Ok. Yet the most least tough road is almost always better than other ? The most important thing is what we obtain after finishing the "way of communication".

keeper
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:37 am
Location: china

Post by keeper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:51 am

English as the official language in international business because of some special reasons,about 300 years ago,Britain occupied many nations and constructed settlements around the world,and now,you may find out the Indian also speak English,and it's similarly in many other countries,English is the most widely used language in the world.But now,many foreigners come to china for studying Chinese,why?
because China is more and more important in international business and English is not "the only one"as it used to be,in Britain,person with ability of Chinese is in shortage(you may read some newspapers).
what meet the development of the world is needed.

Lac
Silver Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:07 am
Contact:

English or Chinese ?

Post by Lac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Right! Keeper
Chinese is a large country with a crowded population. And I always think it's unecessary for Chinese to learn another language. I am greatly admire Chinese who have much contributions to the human history in terms of philosophy, ancient cultures, art, religion and much more.
English, as we've just discussed, simply plays a communicative role throughout the globe, namely English itself impossibly being a highly wonderful construction. I dare not advance my subjective thoughts about the uniqueness of each worldwide language whose shaping process has been expanding in different ways.
Pictographic languages such as China, Japan, Korea, Cambodia..play their distinct roles in human history, and definitely unlikely compared with other onomatopoeia languages which equally have special characteristics.
In general, a powerful country regarding national defence, economy,population, good welfare may consider language as a bridge for associations and cooperations among countries. Perhaps it is the way to acquire the most common language for bridging distances among the nations.

User avatar
crystalfrogw
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Tianjin,China

Post by crystalfrogw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 am

of course not.

most of english learners study english just because english is a global language nowadays.you can communicate with people of different countries in english and you can make more money if you can speak english at least english makes your life easier sometimes.

Once one day when english speaking countries don't have overwhelming economical power, english will not so popular anymore....

After all, it is only small portion of english learners who are really interested in the cultures of english speaking countries.

I believe all people hope their native languages are the international ones..............

mostwanted
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:08 pm
Location: italy

Post by mostwanted » Thu May 03, 2007 2:51 pm

hi guys,
i'm an italian student...i'm doing a thesis about this situation:english as a global language.i'm doing a questionnary on line to analise this problem.
could you answer to it?this is the link:
http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/v ... hp?t=44600
thank you very much.
bye bye

User avatar
InLove
Gold Member
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: VietNam

Post by InLove » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:03 am

Maybe both English and Chinese.

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

English is not the best

Post by Bambang » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:28 am

In my opinion, English is not the best language in this world. To me, a language is good if it has some criteria:

First, it is not hard to learn.
Based on my experiences as an English teacher, most of my students say that English is not easy. They say it is because English has too much complicated grammar such as tenses, irregular verbs, uncountable nouns, articles, prepositions, and much more. Non-native English speakers must memorize them hard to get familiar with the rules.

Second, it uses polite expressions.
Sorry my English speaking friends, to me, English is not a polite language. For instance, in some countries, it's not polite to call someone older with "you". We'll call his title, like "Can uncle help Bambang please?" instead of saying "Can you help me please?".

In addition to that, in some countries, people usually call their names when they are talking to the older one. We do it in our country. Look at this expression!
"Uncle, Bambang wants to visit uncle's house tomorrow". The speaker, Bambang, uses “Bambang” instead of “I”.

Another one is, we never call someone older with his name without calling his title first. Here is the example: " Will aunt Mary bring it to Bambang?". We don’t say “Can you bring it to me?". It sound impolite to us.

Another one that's very important to us is we never call our parents with their names. I have watched some English movies. In the movies, some children call their parents with their names like "Jack , I am very busy now". It's very impolite for us to call our father with his name. It is even considered rebellious!!!


Next, I would like to give comment on Emdb's post. He said :
emdb wrote:I am a native English speaker from the U.S. I'm glad it's my mother tounge because I realize that it would be a very difficult language to learn as a second language.

You are right my friend. It's not easy to learn your language. You are lucky that you were born as a native English speaker so that you don't have to study hard to catch this language. However, on the other side, you might forget something. Guess what!
Since English is an international language, lots of English speakers do not learn other languages. There is a great number of them who only speak one language. Compared with us, the majority of us can speak at least two languages namely our local languages and our national language, and of course, plus English. Some can speak four local languages and four foreign languages. So I think, in one side you are happy, but in your subconscious side you might be unhappy.
Correct me if I am wrong my friend !

emdb wrote: I'm curious to know which other languages would be as useful in bussiness as English.

My friend, it depends.
If you are dealing with a Chinese man in business, of course you need Chinese skills. Nowadays, many people all over the world are learning Chinese because they are doing business with some Chinese people. As you know my friend, Chinese products are penetrating a lot of markets all over the world by offering low priced-products. So my friend, in this case you need to learn Chinese as a business language.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4136
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:51 pm

:D :arrow: I like the English language very much. It was so designed for others to learn and understand. I'm not good in this though but I've noticed it's more simple compared to other language. Because of its wide selection of words one can express himself in many different ways. :wink:

nightwish
Silver Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 am
Location: Venus

Post by nightwish » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Do you think that English is the best choice for an international language? Why? Why not?
For nowdays yes. because English is an international language, it's spoken everywhere.
and I think it's not that difficult or hard to learn.
for example: Arabic language is more complex and difficult more than English language or any other language.

Faby
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by Faby » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:45 am

I think English is calles "international language" because like this french teacher wote: "...it was a luck of history..."... and this countries (UK and USA) began to expand their limits in all the senses. Then they arrived to our people by industry, products and some words (if you pay atention you could see that many of our words thathave been used from many time ago) are in english and we were born and learning it!!! this is all, luck or conspiration since tahe beginning of the history we need to be able to accept this and to remember that we never stayed in any specific country we always have stayed in the "world", it is not waiting for us!!!

baobao
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: taiwan

Post by baobao » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm

Yup...i think because of english now is widely become a language that nowadays people using for business,and others..so,it become so popular that push everypeople to learn english in purpose to compete in their society..
Moreover,i think the country who dominate the economy...it'll make people tend to learning their language...For instance, recently China with the most fast economy growth rate,indirectly force every country to learning their language to compete and build relation between the countries...

maksoora
Silver Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Dubai
Contact:

Post by maksoora » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Do you think that English is the best choice for an international language? Why? Why not?
In my point of view I guess yes , globalization need one language to make commutation between over world people. So the English is best choice coz of British Empire spared all over country. In very earlier time they could communicate people from different language. In my point of view it will be satisfies to chose eng for communicate
Thank u

Faby
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by Faby » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:53 pm

baobao wrote:Yup...i think because of english now is widely become a language that nowadays people using for business,and others..so,it become so popular that push everypeople to learn english in purpose to compete in their society..
Moreover,i think the country who dominate the economy...it'll make people tend to learning their language...For instance, recently China with the most fast economy growth rate,indirectly force every country to learning their language to compete and build relation between the countries...
Hi!!!! I agree with you when you said that China become to be one of the most powerful country ( just industry). Came on, I want to see What do you think? Wich are the careers of future for people who are recently starting a university studies?... I mean, you Know, when one country like China became to growth we need to growth too!!!! what we can do? :roll:

baobao
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: taiwan

hi..too

Post by baobao » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am

hi too faby..I think because China with the highest population in the world about 1 billion more so their advantage is they have the lowest labor cost but recently i heard news although their cost is so low but their service and quality of goods yet low too...I think the most basic that every country do is to provide educate..so we can supply a quality labor not just a cheap labor...correct me i'm wrong

iamvitaly
Silver Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:35 pm
Location: Kazakhstan
Contact:

Re: hi..too

Post by iamvitaly » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 pm

baobao wrote:hi too faby..I think because China with the highest population in the world about 1 billion more so their advantage is they have the lowest labor cost but recently i heard news although their cost is so low but their service and quality of goods yet low too...I think the most basic that every country do is to provide educate..so we can supply a quality labor not just a cheap labor...correct me i'm wrong
Hello! Baobao, I agree with you, but not for all. I think that quality of China's production is not low. I live in Kazakhstan and when the Sovet Union was broke after 2-3 years, percent of china's production in our market was 60-70! I remember those time. It was terrible, you can't imagine yourself a quality of production! But now situation is change. Quality have been increasing headily. Most of us wear china's clothes, work with china's computer and talk on china's mobile. It is not bad! It is cheap. I know that china's production is a very popular in Europe and another sides of the world.
What we can do? Only one, to learn Chinese as second or third language...

Faby
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by Faby » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:35 am

Hi babadoo and iamvitaly!!! I am agree with iamvitaly about her opinion of quuality of chinese products, here in Costa Rica e have a lot of options but Chinese products are really cheaper than English and un some cases this products are better than English products, I know, Chinese is most like a business language but in any case I think this is the language that will make the difference in professional's world.
And how do you feel that this language can affect in your country culture?

iamvitaly
Silver Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:35 pm
Location: Kazakhstan
Contact:

Post by iamvitaly » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Hello, Faby! Yesterday I saw our president's interview. He said one interesting think, that everyone in our repuplic have to know three languages: Kazakh (our national and native language), Russian (most popular and spoken in our republick) and English. In ourdays Kazakhstan close connection with other european countres, like Germany, Great Britain and others, therefore English connects our republick with other world and have an influence on our republick's economics. I think, that I answer your question, Faby...

Faby
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Post by Faby » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:40 am

Hi iamvitaly!!! Yes, you answered my question!!! Thanks!!!.... Could you telm me more about your country? somethings like your culture and life style!!! I never had listened obout your country and It sound very interesting!!!!

hanami
Silver Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:02 am
Location: viet nam

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by hanami » Fri May 02, 2008 4:28 am

Hi RitaandCarrie

I do think so too but there is one thing I disagree with you on. Chinese may be more complicated and difficult to use for many speakers of some languages but not for the Vietnamese, Koreans, Malaixians, Singaporians. These countries either have a long period of the past spoke the language as frequently as their mother tongue or have many citizens who speak chinese as their first language. As I know in my country, learning chinese is quite easy compared to english or other languages. I think the power of economics and politics is the most important.
happiness is something you can't foretell

lliekamia
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 am
Status: English Teacher

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by lliekamia » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 am

Hello everyone,
I do believe that English language became an International
language because most of the people know this language,
I know most of us had/have a television,this is a good example why. Did you
notice that most of the channel got English language speakers?
for it is easily understood by people, And television helps the
people understand the language more often also radios.
that's why i would say English language
is right to be our International language,
we are more competitive if we know this language.

agree?

liekamia

cooriema
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:53 am
Status: Other
Location: Denmark

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by cooriema » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:43 am

lliekamia wrote:Hello everyone,
I do believe that English language became an International
language because most of the people know this language,
I know most of us had/have a television,this is a good example why. Did you
notice that most of the channel got English language speakers?
for it is easily understood by people, And television helps the
people understand the language more often also radios.
that's why i would say English language
is right to be our International language,
we are more competitive if we know this language.

agree?

liekamia
Worldwide English is known as the language of business or the language of money. Once you can speak English you have an edge when it comes to dealing or interacting to different nationalities. Also if you started young it will be very easy studying English as your second language. For me English must be considered as the primary second language, its just like English is the neutral language everyone can understand. But there are some who considers English not as their second language, it can be Italian or mandarin but in all it can be very beneficial once you learn to be bilingual.

keenlearner
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:56 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by keenlearner » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:27 am

Hello everybody,

I agree that English language is the best choice to be the international communication. That is coz of several reasons but the most obvious on eis that, it is the language of the elit people in Britian and it was used as pristigous language. then, it is using in everywhere...thus it is the right means...


Have Fun! {-:

uzma
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:43 am
Status: English Learner

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by uzma » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 am

I think that English is the best choice for an international language................

ukkel
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:57 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by ukkel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi guys,
I think you have to start with something.
So, why not English
What I think is that English is not hard to study
Ýou woudn't want to study hard, like Arabics or my language Dutch, would you?
In my opinion English is a good choice

Ukkel

User avatar
nessma
Silver Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: the holy land

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Post by nessma » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 pm

hiiiii all
i think we can't say best or not , cause we need to learn more languages &
it is one of them

Post Reply