International Communication. Why English?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
strange
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:29 am
Location: outspace
Contact:

Postby strange » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:07 am

hi all
i thinhk this subjest was too old. Why i must study english meantimwe my friend play a game. there is only reason: english is international language. why? forget it!! why don't we talk about something such as: what level you got or, why my neighbouring always smile when i see her.....so on.

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Postby Arale » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:04 pm

I like English and England so I think English is the best choice .It is a global language . I hope I could come England where I could speak English with native ones .

_Arale_

birrel
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:52 pm

Postby birrel » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:44 pm

I hate the English. They are posh

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Postby Arale » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_

Guest

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:34 am

Arale wrote:Not all of them !However, the English Royal family has so many scandals.I like Dianna princess.

_Arale_

Yup, not all of them. You can't base your opinions on one or two persons you've met, birrel. That's stereotype. By the way, I like English too. At least I don't have to remember the sex genders for things like inanimate objects. That's nonsense to me, no offense.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:40 pm

but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?

Guest

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:25 pm

maryemily wrote:but, is this a choice? or is this related to the American Imperialism.......financial an technological superiority....?


Long before American economy got strong English was already used in some part of the world due to English colonization. Nowaday English is used more than other languages (well, second most language is used after Chinese) for international communication because British had and maybe still has many colonies that speak English, American has a strong economy that most of people want to do businesses with. Therefore, people speak English to be able to do business with them. If you have noticed, Spanish, French, and Chinese are used widely also. It's not just English.
Business is a hard-core competitive field, you have to do anything to satisfy your clients. If they want something in their language, you have to translate your products, ideas, memos, etc to their language. You can't just use English and tell them if they don't understand you, it's their problem. If you do that, you'll lose a business. My boyfriend works for a translation company. They try to translate everything in business to certain language that their clients demand. Thus, although America has a strong business, we still need people from other countries to do business with us and we have to do our best to satisfy them. We have people who can speak several languages or tools that the clients can understand the products in their own language. It makes them feel more comfortable.
For personal used, for an example, I speak Vietnamese, you speak your language, we both don't understand each other but if we learn a certain language in common, why don't we use that to communicate? It can be anything, don't have to be particularly English. If I knew French and so did you, we both could speak French to each other instead of English, right?
Overall, the choice is yours.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:14 pm

but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Guest

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:29 am

maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.

moonie
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:56 am

acceptance

Postby moonie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:04 am

usuing english as their international language is not choosen by force,,but only has been usuing because for their practical need of use for convenient communication.or for their efficiency of competiveness,,,by preoccupied culture...which is aleady splead global-wide. thereby...in our generation has no choice to choose their international language... on top of that..actually apperantly it is impossible to choose it individually cause..language is not only for comunication but also for sharing and acquanting in it's own culture.. eventhough we wanna get language as a new one which seems to be fair but it shouldn't be happened or reversed by one night.

User avatar
Maeve
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Shanghai,China
Contact:

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Postby Maeve » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:15 am

[quote="TP"]
I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:

Guest

Re: International Communication. Why English?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:14 am

Maeve wrote:
TP wrote:I think English is important to everyone, but Chinese is important equally. In the future, Chinese will be instead of English as the best International Communication. It will be better and better that our economic index and business are developed. It will be exceed the west countries. So more and more people will learn Chinese and come to China to do business. :wink:

:roll: it's already number one most speaking language based on their population. There's a stereotype that for every four people in a group, there will be one Chinese person.

User avatar
ndt7981
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:32 am
Location: Vietnam

Postby ndt7981 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:34 am

Maeve, I think that Chinese might be more popular in future. But in my opinion, English is much more easier to learn than Chinese.

armmy
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:28 am
Location: china
Contact:

Postby armmy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:49 am

language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.
the new day is coming when the sun is up!

User avatar
Maeve
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Shanghai,China
Contact:

Postby Maeve » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:11 am

armmy wrote:language is only a tool enven if it is so important for us. it is govern by the nature not the force.i suggest all of us donot mind which language is be used in the internation. it is most important that we can communicate each other.

Language is often used in communicate in the world. If we talk about something, we must speak the same language, right? So, I think we must have the same language whether you have any purpose to learn English or Chinese or other language. :)

mehrin
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Re: English is one of the Choices.

Postby mehrin » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:02 pm

kathy wrote:I think English is widely spoken nowadays that's for sure but it doesn't have to be the only tool for people to communicate. If you have a penpal from another country which might inspire you to talk to your friend in his or her language. That is more funny.
I'm a native Chinese and Chinese is the language becoming more and more important. Chinese has the largest spokers in fact!
If you like I can help you with that!
A sincere person,
Kathy
I think english is a only tool for people to communication. I think english is a international language, and english is your passport, you can see the modren technology the internet, they have english access, and thats why we are here for learning english.
I am from Pakistan in my country in every scools they laern our native language but english too. And english is one of the our compulsary subject. In my opinion if you dont know english in this computarised world that means you are nothing.When i cant speak or understand english i feel shy.
But remember dont forget your native language its you ID.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:52 pm

so answer me: Why is English the universal language?????

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:54 pm

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:
maryemily wrote:but in fact, English is considered the mundial language. It is demanded, of coursefor bussiness reasons, but It has its historical appearence. people did not choose English as the most demanded language for financial relations because people thought it was beautiful or easy or something else. It had a stronger reason.......When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....now it is English..... It has its origin in the way EUA command the world between lines.....

Not totally true. If you compare it to French then English doesn't sound as nice as French. Why would the French choose to something less nice over something is nice? In fact, most French people don't like to speak English based on a tight relationship that they have with England in history. They speak English just for business and other international relations. If a country has people speak French, they would speak French instead of English to those people. My cousins who speak French and English speak English to us since they don't know Vietnamese and we don't know French. English is the only language that we have in common. They speak French to grownups who can speak French in my family. And they also change back to French if they know the person they're speaking with can speak French.
By the way, when was France the most powerful country? They've lost every single damn war. When were they powerful? Show me the timeline when they were because I can't find it in the history timeline.



so answer me: Why is English the universal language???? demanded even to pass in school year in countries like Brazil?

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:34 pm

maryemily wrote:When France was the most powerful country, people needed to speak French more than any other language....


sorry, it was a stupidity. but, for example, I will try to explain what happens here in Brazil. Here, students learn English in school, must have know this language to find jobs, etc, here, there are English even in banks, shoppings, but not for tourists, for us. Students usually ask why do they have to know English, of course, teachers tend to answer that the reasons come from international bussiness. But it makes us realize that as EUA is a great economic power, the use of English as the bussiness language is a consequence from it, of course, a consequence from the great technological advance also. But, we, Brazilians are passive related to this language, a person said that language is related to identity, yeah, here Brazilians speak Portuguese with English, people name things with English words.....But, English as the mundial language is not a choice, it is a consequence from the economic development that ocurred in Eua x a low one in many other countries. For example, here, we also make bussiness with our neighbour countries that have Spanish as language. But Spanish is not tha mundial language because the world makes more bussiness with Eua thanwith Spanish language countries. So, it is a consequence. So, not a choice at all......... What do you think?

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm

there are the possibility that in some years Spanish come to be the mundial language, because the international relation that exists aong countries that use that language......It proves that the fact tha alanuage is demanded as the mundial one is a consequence from comercial interests, not a choice at all....not a metalinguistic choice.


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests