Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
birrel

Post by birrel »

Hi all,

I wonder which pronunciation we have to study. There are too many forms of pronunciation - Australian, American, the RP pronunciation, etc.. -and I don't know what to choose. So I think that some times to stusy pronunciation is a waste of time.

Cheers

Post by member »

I am agree. I am working with english speakers and is very dificult to get what people are saying.
Mariam Nakhla

Pronunciation waste time.

Post by Mariam Nakhla »

Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:
rjcglass

pronunciation

Post by rjcglass »

Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.

Re: pronunciation

Post by member »

rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.
Are you confusing intonation with pronunciation? The music is probably more important than the lyrics so let´s get some good harmony first and then fit in the words. Sts. need to learn the patterns through hand clapping and feet stamping, knuckle banging etc. :lol:
birrell

Post by birrell »

rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.
Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
inna

i think it is

Post by inna »

i think studyng the correct pronunciation of any lanaguage is badly needed specially the english language.
i am teaching english in thailand for more that 2 yrs now and i realize how important correct grammar and pronunciation is.... so in short it is not a waste of time.. ITS WORTH DOING GUYS.. so come on join me learn correct pronunciation with fun
what it not worth studying is tha accent ex. american.. british aussie.. as long as we understand each other..

cheers..
vivina

Post by vivina »

birrell wrote:
Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
I'm agree with you i keep working in my pronuciation....
vivina

Re: i think it is

Post by vivina »

inna wrote:

i think studyng the correct pronunciation of any lanaguage is badly needed specially the english language.
i am teaching english in thailand for more that 2 yrs now and i realize how important correct grammar and pronunciation is.... so in short it is not a waste of time.. ITS WORTH DOING GUYS.. so come on join me learn correct pronunciation with fun
what it not worth studying is tha accent ex. american.. british aussie.. as long as we understand each other..

cheers..
I got your message i m interesting to improve my english
aghast

Re: Pronunciation waste time.

Post by aghast »

Mariam Nakhla wrote:Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:
Maybe you should also take a few more lessons in English grammar too?

Post by Guest »

pronunciation is very important . if you don't pronunce the word correctly be sure the receiver will missunderstand you .I am talking about the RP pronunciation. the british one. I would be greatful if I find an other teacher to discuss this topic this is my email ( *******.co.uk ) :?:
Mr.x

Post by Mr.x »

birrell wrote:
:D
Lynne

Pronunciation

Post by Lynne »

I cannot believe that some people think pronunciation is not important, of course if you just spend your life on the message boards....

Face to face in the real world however, it isn't just what you say, but how you say it. People won't want to talk to you if they can't understand you, it's just too tiring. This doesn't mean that we all have to talk like the Queen of England though, as long as people can understand you that's fine. :wink:

And if you don't believe me listen to that famous 'Pronunciation poem', then you will realise just how important it is.

Pronunciation Please
costadina

pronounciation

Post by costadina »

[iIs pronounciaton important? I'll say! Has anyone ever tried to listen to someone mispronounce words. I have students whose pronounciation is so bad even if I have the text in front of me I can't understand what they are saying. If supposedly we learn a language in order to communicate in it, what good does it do to not be able to speak clearly. It doesn't matter what accent you have as long as you speak clearly, otherwise noone will understand you. :!: ][/i]
xingjing

Re: Pronunciation waste time?i do not think so.

Post by xingjing »

Mariam Nakhla wrote:Pronunciation is not waste of time. I am substitute teacher, I have accent so I have problem with kids. Sometime they do not understand me and I feel bad. I took a course about Odium and pronunciation but it take time to see how you progress. : :roll:

i am a chinese and i like your opinions.are you an american?
xingjing

Re: Pronunciation

Post by xingjing »

[quote="Lynne"]I cannot believe that some people think pronunciation is not important, of course if you just spend your life on the message boards....

Face to face in the real world however, it isn't just what you say, but how you say it. People won't want to talk to you if they can't understand you, it's just too tiring. This doesn't mean that we all have to talk like the Queen of England though, as long as people can understand you that's fine. :wink:

And if you don't believe me listen to that famous 'Pronunciation poem', then you will realise just how important it is.

can i make a friend with you ?

Post by Guest »

Studying pronunciation is a waste of time :evil: :P :arrow:
sothy

Post by sothy »

birrell wrote:
:
James Zh

Post by James Zh »

Pronunciation is really important. We use words to communicate in real life. Bad pronunciation will cause mass misunderstanding. If people can't understand what you say, they will have no interest to talk to you.
sanhong3

Post by sanhong3 »

I strongly object to it.I believe that the pronunciation is fundmental.of course it's very important.it can help us a lot with our listening skills.if we can't master the pronunciation well,we'll find many obstacles when listening.also it can enhance our confidence in english learning.the key to success lies in practice.practice,practice,practice the pronunciation.believe me,it will benefit u a lot.
sunflower

Post by sunflower »

:D
Well , I can affirm that pronunciation is very important for all of us . You can't imagine how would you study English without pronunciation ? You can still speak English but nobody can understand what you are saying . Only by learning pronunciation , you can master English . Now I'm the first year student . Previously , when I learned at my high school, my form teacher didn't pay attention to pronunciation. But when I go to the university , everything changed. At first I found that pronunciation is very difficult . But gradually I find that I can speak English well if I don't learn pronuncitation . So I can say that pronunciation is very important for all of us .
sunflower
gulf girl

Re: Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

Post by gulf girl »

Talking Point wrote:Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

What do you think?
I'm not agree with you brother. I feel it is so important to learn the pronunciation rules for thetarget language to be effective in it. I like this cours so much when I have been studied it.
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.
Judy2004

Pronunciation is very important.

Post by Judy2004 »

It is undoubted that pronunciation is very important for every language.If you can't pronounce correctly or properly,how can you understand others and how can you make yourself understoood?

Sometimes,we have such experience:we only hear the voice of a stranger who is out of sight.If he or she can pronounce clearly and correctly,have a very good intonation,it is like the music to our ear and we are pleased to enjoy listening,simultaneously, we may automatically form a mental picture about the stranger that he or she must have good personalities and great charm and have a pleasant appearance,which may promote us to come close to him or her and make friends with him or her.From this point of view,pronunciation is one part of first impression and also our name card,so we should try our best to make our name card as beautiful and graceful as possible.

Some of us maybe come across such situation where we are requested to repeat what we have just said more than one time due to our incorrect pronunciation.As we repeat the sentence slowly,we may feel a little embarrassed and lose some confidence in ourselves,sometimes even forget what we will speak.

Certainly,it is not necessary for us to speak as well as a local,however,we are supposed to improve pronunciation to smooth our communication.
Fenerbahçeli

Post by Fenerbahçeli »

how can I memorize them? it is difficult to learn them. I think my grammer is well but vocabulary and pronounce aren't well. what can I do to develop them?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

It depends. But I never think it wastes time to learn it, even for non-professional learners.

_Arale_
D

Post by D »

The entire debate is preposterous — of course pronunciation and enunciation matter! After all, who can be bothered talking to someone whose oral deliveries sound like home-invented grunting language? 'So wot if thoyve bin learnin inglish f'yeez if u caan undastan' a bloin word thayr soyin?'

I contribute regularly to another messageboard for English learners, and I find it amazing how sooner or later there is always a less advanced learner who dare suggest that 'grammar is useless' and 'pronunciation doesn't matter'.

Ironically enough, it's usually also the same people whose English orthography leaves a tad, or many tads, to be desired. How easy it is to discard what one doesn't understand!

D
paradise

Post by paradise »

I think that study pronounciation is good however of its difficulty . but learning prononciation is more benifit from experience .
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
jone54

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood

Post by jone54 »

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood and it and help you to improve your listening . it's obvious that when you are reading english, you can hear yourself . and if your pronunciation is not good enough, you will not understand others' right accent. it will make a vicious circle.
because of English's extensive use by people all over the world ,so there are many different accents. but it is a language like any other else, it's made up of pronunciation , intonation , grammer and so on , you can't cut down any one of them.
anilakyol

Post by anilakyol »

I do not agree.Because as it has already been stated correct pronunciation is the key to be understood well.As being a Turk I have a problemn with pronouncing 'th' and 'w'.For example when i want to say three i pronounce it as tree.Ok this may not cause a big problem but there are many words which create big problems.
Rodrigo Klassen

Post by Rodrigo Klassen »

it really isn't a wast of time. we me must learn pronunce to avoid causing terribles misunderstoods..
there's no space here to write everything i wanted
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

I don't think pronunciation 's waste of time.
If you don't practise it how can you speak some homonyms, or... Many things you have to learn about pronunciation, and It' really big problem for whom learn English.
I have to practise reading everyday to improve myself.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
someone_cute

Post by someone_cute »

I hated sentence that says ( .... is a waste of time ) ..
Because there is nothing related to studying called a waste of time ..
I thing we have to know how 2 pronounce the words because some words when we change its pronounciation we chang the all meaning ,, so that the people can't understand us ..
and if it doesn't benefit us it will not harm us as they always say ..
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

And of course you have to talk !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
someone_cute

Post by someone_cute »

shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

Shokin
Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

someone_cute wrote:
shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

Shokin
Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:
Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin
someone_cute

Post by someone_cute »

shokin wrote:
Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin
hahaha
No , just thinking about it :)
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Ah ! a lapsus linguae :mrgreen:

Shokin
someone_cute

Post by someone_cute »

shokin wrote:a lapsus linguae :mrgreen:
Can I know what is the meaning of it if u don't mind ??
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Normally a lapsus linguae is something you say when you want to say anything else.

"I met my sex." when you mean "I met my ex."

The two words are not always paronym...

"I told lies... heu... I told what I had to say." :?

Once at a biology course, during a presentation, a girl had to explain the phenomen of the excretion. At the end she said : "Now you know the phenomen of the erection." :lol: :lol: :lol: we were all laughing, even the teacher :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shokin
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

shokin wrote: "I met my sex." when you mean "I met my ex."
Nice example :lol:
joedev1

You haven't convinced me!

Post by joedev1 »

Hello Everybody,

I have read three pages of posts and see that some good points have been brought up. However, most of you have missed the main point. The question is NOT "Is pronunciation a waste of time?". The question is "Is the STUDY of pronunciation waste of time?". Until you can provide some SPECIFIC evidence that studying pronunciation brings real results, you will not have succeeded in presenting a winning argument. Do you know of a specific student or class, using a specific method of studying pronunciation, who overcame a real problem with pronunciation?

Consider this argument: "Studying pronunciation is a waste of time because students fail to make real progress, regardless of the method used. Students may say a word, phrase or sentence clearly in class, but when they must speak outside of class, they revert to using unclear pronuncation. The time spent on pronunciation would be much more effectively used on learning vocabulary and grammar."

As an English teacher and learner of French, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese, I believe pronunciation CAN be learned. The question for all of you said pronuciation is important: HOW?

I'm looking forward to reading your replies!

Teacher Joe
hello

Post by hello »

Since you are discussing the pronouciation difficulty, I want someone to help me in solving my problem with pronounciation ... Or recommend some methods to improve my pronounciation of the words...

Although, I am very good in writing , I face many difficulties with the pronounciation...

Sometimes I cannot pronounce the word correctly which makes others doubt in the strength of my English language...

Po0o0o0o0or ME..... :cry:
Dreams
joedev1

Is it possible?

Post by joedev1 »

hello wrote:Although, I am very good in writing , I face many difficulties with the pronounciation...

Sometimes I cannot pronounce the word correctly which makes others doubt in the strength of my English language...

Po0o0o0o0or ME..... :cry:
Hello Mr. Hello! This is precisely what we should be discussing. Is it even possible to improve pronunciation by studying? If so, how? Or, on the other hand, do we have to accept the results we get "naturally"? As I said before, my teaching, as well as my experience learning French, Japanese, and Chinese, tells me it IS possible. Since this is a discussion board for students, I hope members will give their ideas on how to STUDY pronunciation. I'm sure they have some great success stories that will help you. After they have communicated their ideas, I will add my thoughts, if necessary.

Teacher Joe
hello

Post by hello »

Hello Mr
" Teacher Joe"

First of all, I am a Miss not Mr, it is just a nickname however I'd prefer all of you to call me Dreams ...

Second, I really want to thank you for you concern. Hopefully, coming up with some tips to help all of us who suffer from this problem...

Do you think Using Electronic Dictionaries( which pronounces the wards) would be the best solution...?

IF there are other tips please tell me...

Thanks againTeacher Joe ...

Dreams
Dreams
joedev1

My ideas for learning pronunciation

Post by joedev1 »

Hello Miss Hello,

I'm surprised nobody else has offered any tips yet. So many people have written that pronunciation is important, but they seem to have no idea how to actually improve it.

From your posts it is obvious you know a lot of English. At this point in your study, you not only have the problem of learning English pronunciation, you also have the problem of breaking bad habits formed after mispronouncing English for such a long time. It will not be as easy for you now as it would have been when you first started learning English. Here are some things I can suggest:

1) Listen to all kinds of English very CAREFULLY. Today's dictionaries with voice recordings are not too bad, but single words won't help you very much. You have to listen to a variety of voices and a variety of word combinations, as well as sentences and paragraphs.

2) Repeat what you listen to over and over again. Try to imitate native English pronunciation as closely as possible. Native English speaking TV and radio announcers do this, so don't think it's too basic for your English level. In my classes, I have students pretend that they are on the radio, saying sentences just like the professionals. It's not only effective, it's also quite fun!

3) Try recording your voice while reading whole paragraphs, then compare with the native English speakers on CD or tape. Be sure to do this once today so that you can see your progress over time.

4) Try to identify your weak points - which vowels and consonants are hardest for you to pronounce? Put extra emphasis on those sounds. You may also have trouble with groups of consonants or vowel combinations. English rhythm is sometimes a problem for students, so pay attention the this, too, as you listen.

5) Since you're trying to break old habits, you are going to have to FOCUS. Practice several times a day every single day for as long as you need. I think you can see some improvement in a few weeks, though it will probably take longer to reach the level you really want.

Good luck and don't stop trying!

Teacher Joe
hello

Post by hello »

Thanks Teacher Joe ...

I really appreciate your concern and your tips...I'll consider them...

I'll try my best to follow your tips. You know what ? there is another problem I face other than pronounciation and especially at the university...

I hasitate a lot before speaking in English.. I feel very shy and very low self esteem ... I feel that I might make mistakes whenever I speak in English .... When I speak, I speak very quickly and finish my sentence ... So, I don't take my time in speaking or explaining my point of view...

Many times happen that I know the words and I have enough vocabulary to parcticipate during the class, but I see my mouth locked and cannot say any word...

So, I dont to feel confident over my self while talking in English..

I need your help again..

Dreams
Dreams