Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

sothy

Re: pronunciation

Postby sothy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:17 am

birrell wrote:
rjcglass wrote:Sorry guys, but pronunciation is super important. I have had so many students who know grammer well, have a good vocabulary, but have horrible pronunciation, so what good is knowing English if you cant pronounce it? English pronunciation is very difficult, but very necessary if you are trying to make someone understand you.

Which pronunciation? The American pronunciation or the Estuary English pronunciation?
:

James Zh

Postby James Zh » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:54 pm

Pronunciation is really important. We use words to communicate in real life. Bad pronunciation will cause mass misunderstanding. If people can't understand what you say, they will have no interest to talk to you.

sanhong3

Postby sanhong3 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:08 pm

I strongly object to it.I believe that the pronunciation is fundmental.of course it's very important.it can help us a lot with our listening skills.if we can't master the pronunciation well,we'll find many obstacles when listening.also it can enhance our confidence in english learning.the key to success lies in practice.practice,practice,practice the pronunciation.believe me,it will benefit u a lot.

sunflower

Postby sunflower » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:03 am

:D
Well , I can affirm that pronunciation is very important for all of us . You can't imagine how would you study English without pronunciation ? You can still speak English but nobody can understand what you are saying . Only by learning pronunciation , you can master English . Now I'm the first year student . Previously , when I learned at my high school, my form teacher didn't pay attention to pronunciation. But when I go to the university , everything changed. At first I found that pronunciation is very difficult . But gradually I find that I can speak English well if I don't learn pronuncitation . So I can say that pronunciation is very important for all of us .
sunflower

gulf girl

Re: Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

Postby gulf girl » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:47 am

Talking Point wrote:Studying Pronunciation is a Waste of Time!

What do you think?

I'm not agree with you brother. I feel it is so important to learn the pronunciation rules for thetarget language to be effective in it. I like this cours so much when I have been studied it.
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.

Judy2004

Pronunciation is very important.

Postby Judy2004 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:20 am

It is undoubted that pronunciation is very important for every language.If you can't pronounce correctly or properly,how can you understand others and how can you make yourself understoood?

Sometimes,we have such experience:we only hear the voice of a stranger who is out of sight.If he or she can pronounce clearly and correctly,have a very good intonation,it is like the music to our ear and we are pleased to enjoy listening,simultaneously, we may automatically form a mental picture about the stranger that he or she must have good personalities and great charm and have a pleasant appearance,which may promote us to come close to him or her and make friends with him or her.From this point of view,pronunciation is one part of first impression and also our name card,so we should try our best to make our name card as beautiful and graceful as possible.

Some of us maybe come across such situation where we are requested to repeat what we have just said more than one time due to our incorrect pronunciation.As we repeat the sentence slowly,we may feel a little embarrassed and lose some confidence in ourselves,sometimes even forget what we will speak.

Certainly,it is not necessary for us to speak as well as a local,however,we are supposed to improve pronunciation to smooth our communication.

Fenerbahçeli

Postby Fenerbahçeli » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:47 pm

how can I memorize them? it is difficult to learn them. I think my grammer is well but vocabulary and pronounce aren't well. what can I do to develop them?

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:58 am

It depends. But I never think it wastes time to learn it, even for non-professional learners.

_Arale_

D

Postby D » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 am

The entire debate is preposterous — of course pronunciation and enunciation matter! After all, who can be bothered talking to someone whose oral deliveries sound like home-invented grunting language? 'So wot if thoyve bin learnin inglish f'yeez if u caan undastan' a bloin word thayr soyin?'

I contribute regularly to another messageboard for English learners, and I find it amazing how sooner or later there is always a less advanced learner who dare suggest that 'grammar is useless' and 'pronunciation doesn't matter'.

Ironically enough, it's usually also the same people whose English orthography leaves a tad, or many tads, to be desired. How easy it is to discard what one doesn't understand!

D

paradise
Silver Member

Postby paradise » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:48 pm

I think that study pronounciation is good however of its difficulty . but learning prononciation is more benifit from experience .
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer

jone54

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood

Postby jone54 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:01 am

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood and it and help you to improve your listening . it's obvious that when you are reading english, you can hear yourself . and if your pronunciation is not good enough, you will not understand others' right accent. it will make a vicious circle.
because of English's extensive use by people all over the world ,so there are many different accents. but it is a language like any other else, it's made up of pronunciation , intonation , grammer and so on , you can't cut down any one of them.

anilakyol

Postby anilakyol » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:35 pm

I do not agree.Because as it has already been stated correct pronunciation is the key to be understood well.As being a Turk I have a problemn with pronouncing 'th' and 'w'.For example when i want to say three i pronounce it as tree.Ok this may not cause a big problem but there are many words which create big problems.

Rodrigo Klassen

Postby Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:22 am

it really isn't a wast of time. we me must learn pronunce to avoid causing terribles misunderstoods..
there's no space here to write everything i wanted

authorityquery
Silver Member

Postby authorityquery » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:51 pm

I don't think pronunciation 's waste of time.
If you don't practise it how can you speak some homonyms, or... Many things you have to learn about pronunciation, and It' really big problem for whom learn English.
I have to practise reading everyday to improve myself.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

someone_cute
Silver Member

Postby someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I hated sentence that says ( .... is a waste of time ) ..
Because there is nothing related to studying called a waste of time ..
I thing we have to know how 2 pronounce the words because some words when we change its pronounciation we chang the all meaning ,, so that the people can't understand us ..
and if it doesn't benefit us it will not harm us as they always say ..
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:27 am

If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

And of course you have to talk !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

someone_cute
Silver Member

Postby someone_cute » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 am

shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

Shokin

Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:04 pm

someone_cute wrote:
shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

Shokin

Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:

Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin

someone_cute
Silver Member

Postby someone_cute » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 am

shokin wrote:
Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin

hahaha
No , just thinking about it :)

shokin
Rough Diamond Member

Postby shokin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:21 pm

Ah ! a lapsus linguae :mrgreen:

Shokin

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”