Studying pronunciation is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
paradise
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:00 am
Location: EGYPT
Contact:

Postby paradise » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:48 pm

I think that study pronounciation is good however of its difficulty . but learning prononciation is more benifit from experience .
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer

jone54
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:37 am
Location: China
Contact:

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood

Postby jone54 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:01 am

pronunciation is very important to make yourself understood and it and help you to improve your listening . it's obvious that when you are reading english, you can hear yourself . and if your pronunciation is not good enough, you will not understand others' right accent. it will make a vicious circle.
because of English's extensive use by people all over the world ,so there are many different accents. but it is a language like any other else, it's made up of pronunciation , intonation , grammer and so on , you can't cut down any one of them.

anilakyol
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:19 pm
Contact:

Postby anilakyol » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:35 pm

I do not agree.Because as it has already been stated correct pronunciation is the key to be understood well.As being a Turk I have a problemn with pronouncing 'th' and 'w'.For example when i want to say three i pronounce it as tree.Ok this may not cause a big problem but there are many words which create big problems.

Rodrigo Klassen
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Postby Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:22 am

it really isn't a wast of time. we me must learn pronunce to avoid causing terribles misunderstoods..
there's no space here to write everything i wanted

authorityquery
Silver Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Postby authorityquery » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:51 pm

I don't think pronunciation 's waste of time.
If you don't practise it how can you speak some homonyms, or... Many things you have to learn about pronunciation, and It' really big problem for whom learn English.
I have to practise reading everyday to improve myself.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

User avatar
someone_cute
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Arabian Gulf !!

Postby someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I hated sentence that says ( .... is a waste of time ) ..
Because there is nothing related to studying called a waste of time ..
I thing we have to know how 2 pronounce the words because some words when we change its pronounciation we chang the all meaning ,, so that the people can't understand us ..
and if it doesn't benefit us it will not harm us as they always say ..
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:27 am

If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

And of course you have to talk !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

User avatar
someone_cute
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Arabian Gulf !!

Postby someone_cute » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 am

shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

And of course you have to talk !

Shokin


Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:04 pm

someone_cute wrote:
shokin wrote:If you want to train your pronunciation, the ideal is to go to an english-speaking town !

And of course you have to talk !

Shokin


Yeah , it's tried by some people whose I know , and it was very usefull and they r good at English now :roll:


Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

User avatar
someone_cute
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Arabian Gulf !!

Postby someone_cute » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 am

shokin wrote:
Why the " :roll: " ?

Shokin


hahaha
No , just thinking about it :)
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Postby shokin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:21 pm

Ah ! a lapsus linguae :mrgreen:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

User avatar
someone_cute
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Arabian Gulf !!

Postby someone_cute » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:30 pm

shokin wrote:a lapsus linguae :mrgreen:


Can I know what is the meaning of it if u don't mind ??
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

shokin
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Switzerland

Postby shokin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:52 pm

Normally a lapsus linguae is something you say when you want to say anything else.

"I met my sex." when you mean "I met my ex."

The two words are not always paronym...

"I told lies... heu... I told what I had to say." :?

Once at a biology course, during a presentation, a girl had to explain the phenomen of the excretion. At the end she said : "Now you know the phenomen of the erection." :lol: :lol: :lol: we were all laughing, even the teacher :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.

User avatar
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Posts: 6337
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:08 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Catalunya
Contact:

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:40 am

shokin wrote:"I met my sex." when you mean "I met my ex."


Nice example :lol:

joedev1
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: New York, Beijing, Osaka, Honolulu, Paris

You haven't convinced me!

Postby joedev1 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:26 am


Hello Everybody,

I have read three pages of posts and see that some good points have been brought up. However, most of you have missed the main point. The question is NOT "Is pronunciation a waste of time?". The question is "Is the STUDY of pronunciation waste of time?". Until you can provide some SPECIFIC evidence that studying pronunciation brings real results, you will not have succeeded in presenting a winning argument. Do you know of a specific student or class, using a specific method of studying pronunciation, who overcame a real problem with pronunciation?

Consider this argument: "Studying pronunciation is a waste of time because students fail to make real progress, regardless of the method used. Students may say a word, phrase or sentence clearly in class, but when they must speak outside of class, they revert to using unclear pronuncation. The time spent on pronunciation would be much more effectively used on learning vocabulary and grammar."

As an English teacher and learner of French, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese, I believe pronunciation CAN be learned. The question for all of you said pronuciation is important: HOW?

I'm looking forward to reading your replies!

Teacher Joe

User avatar
hello
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: Dubai

Postby hello » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 pm

Since you are discussing the pronouciation difficulty, I want someone to help me in solving my problem with pronounciation ... Or recommend some methods to improve my pronounciation of the words...

Although, I am very good in writing , I face many difficulties with the pronounciation...

Sometimes I cannot pronounce the word correctly which makes others doubt in the strength of my English language...

Po0o0o0o0or ME..... :cry:
Dreams

joedev1
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: New York, Beijing, Osaka, Honolulu, Paris

Is it possible?

Postby joedev1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:27 am

hello wrote:Although, I am very good in writing , I face many difficulties with the pronounciation...

Sometimes I cannot pronounce the word correctly which makes others doubt in the strength of my English language...

Po0o0o0o0or ME..... :cry:


Hello Mr. Hello! This is precisely what we should be discussing. Is it even possible to improve pronunciation by studying? If so, how? Or, on the other hand, do we have to accept the results we get "naturally"? As I said before, my teaching, as well as my experience learning French, Japanese, and Chinese, tells me it IS possible. Since this is a discussion board for students, I hope members will give their ideas on how to STUDY pronunciation. I'm sure they have some great success stories that will help you. After they have communicated their ideas, I will add my thoughts, if necessary.

Teacher Joe

User avatar
hello
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: Dubai

Postby hello » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Hello Mr
" Teacher Joe"

First of all, I am a Miss not Mr, it is just a nickname however I'd prefer all of you to call me Dreams ...

Second, I really want to thank you for you concern. Hopefully, coming up with some tips to help all of us who suffer from this problem...

Do you think Using Electronic Dictionaries( which pronounces the wards) would be the best solution...?

IF there are other tips please tell me...

Thanks againTeacher Joe ...

Dreams
Dreams

joedev1
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: New York, Beijing, Osaka, Honolulu, Paris

My ideas for learning pronunciation

Postby joedev1 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:25 am

Hello Miss Hello,

I'm surprised nobody else has offered any tips yet. So many people have written that pronunciation is important, but they seem to have no idea how to actually improve it.

From your posts it is obvious you know a lot of English. At this point in your study, you not only have the problem of learning English pronunciation, you also have the problem of breaking bad habits formed after mispronouncing English for such a long time. It will not be as easy for you now as it would have been when you first started learning English. Here are some things I can suggest:

1) Listen to all kinds of English very CAREFULLY. Today's dictionaries with voice recordings are not too bad, but single words won't help you very much. You have to listen to a variety of voices and a variety of word combinations, as well as sentences and paragraphs.

2) Repeat what you listen to over and over again. Try to imitate native English pronunciation as closely as possible. Native English speaking TV and radio announcers do this, so don't think it's too basic for your English level. In my classes, I have students pretend that they are on the radio, saying sentences just like the professionals. It's not only effective, it's also quite fun!

3) Try recording your voice while reading whole paragraphs, then compare with the native English speakers on CD or tape. Be sure to do this once today so that you can see your progress over time.

4) Try to identify your weak points - which vowels and consonants are hardest for you to pronounce? Put extra emphasis on those sounds. You may also have trouble with groups of consonants or vowel combinations. English rhythm is sometimes a problem for students, so pay attention the this, too, as you listen.

5) Since you're trying to break old habits, you are going to have to FOCUS. Practice several times a day every single day for as long as you need. I think you can see some improvement in a few weeks, though it will probably take longer to reach the level you really want.

Good luck and don't stop trying!

Teacher Joe

User avatar
hello
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: Dubai

Postby hello » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks Teacher Joe ...

I really appreciate your concern and your tips...I'll consider them...

I'll try my best to follow your tips. You know what ? there is another problem I face other than pronounciation and especially at the university...

I hasitate a lot before speaking in English.. I feel very shy and very low self esteem ... I feel that I might make mistakes whenever I speak in English .... When I speak, I speak very quickly and finish my sentence ... So, I don't take my time in speaking or explaining my point of view...


Many times happen that I know the words and I have enough vocabulary to parcticipate during the class, but I see my mouth locked and cannot say any word...

So, I dont to feel confident over my self while talking in English..

I need your help again..

Dreams
Dreams

joedev1
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:19 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: New York, Beijing, Osaka, Honolulu, Paris

Pronunciation and Speaking

Postby joedev1 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Dreams,

hello wrote: there is another problem I face other than pronounciation and especially at the university...

I hasitate a lot before speaking in English.. I feel very shy and very low self esteem ... I feel that I might make mistakes whenever I speak in English .... When I speak, I speak very quickly and finish my sentence ... So, I don't take my time in speaking or explaining my point of view...


It seems you have two different problems, but in fact, they may be the same. The reason you hesitate may be because you know your pronunciation is not as good as your grammar, vocabulary or writing. Please follow the suggestions I made in my previous post and see if you don't speak more smoothly in the future. As you speak more smoothly with fewer problems, you will gain confidence little by little.

Of course, along the way, you will have to make some mistakes. Mistakes are not really a problem IF you learn from them. As Thomas Watson, the founder of IBM, said: "The key to success is to double your failure rate". Each time you make a mistake in speaking is an opportunity for you to improve. Good luck!

Teacher Joe


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests