No Sex Please, we're British!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, TalkingPoint

Post Reply
User avatar
Ika
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:07 pm
Location: Latvia

Post by Ika » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:08 pm

I don't think all the pople in all the world are the same, it is unbelievable, i really believe that there is a difference between for example people from Northern countries and from the South. The temperament is different, after all. And stereotypes, whether we like them or not, are created for some reason, don't you think? another thing is how much we believe them, and how open is our mind to accept the fact, that all the people are unique, whatever the stereotype they are attached to. Besides, if you have to meet somebody from another culture, knowing some stereotypes can help you to make friends, it can save you some shock, if the behaviour is very different from yours :wink: later you will find out yourself, how much do the strerotypes work. Just don't be biased, and all will be ok.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."

User avatar
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 751
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 7:05 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam

Post by Arale » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing lasts forever...

Judy2004
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:42 pm

Up-to-date generalizations are very useful.

Post by Judy2004 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:07 am

I think most of generalizations about countries and national characteristics except for cliches or stereotypes help international relations.

We may all admit the fact that people who come from different countries think and behavior in a different way. So before we get to know foreigners, the only way we can obtain an idea about them is from generalizations.Obviously, during the communication with foreigners,if you are equipped with the up-to-date generalizations,you can understand your parter more and feel more comfortable,at the same time, make your parter feel at home.In addition, more information from the generalizations can avoid the misunderstanding ,sometimes even culture conflict to the greatest extent.

There is a big difference between the east asian countries and the west countries.It is well known that Chinese are hospitable,if you go to visit a chinese friend,he or she may be busy in and out and prepare a number of best food for you, while having the meal,the owner will put the best dishes in front of you as if he will show impolite if he does not do it. The west, however,are totally different,which I have got from the generalizations. Therefore,one time when I had the chance to have dinner with an English friend,I was familiar with the way that she respected my choice and didn't place any dish specially near to me.If I don't know about the difference,maybe something will occur to my mind that English people aren't polite enough to foreigners.

Of course,we live in the world,where change is constant.Like all the other things,generaliaztions should be up-to-date,otherwise they will be reduced to cliches or stereotypes which become the hindrance of international communication.Furthermore,with the development of science,all the world will become one earth village,all the countries interact more.So it can be predicted that something special in one country will assimilated by other countries and many things will tend to be identical,thus some generalizations about it should be amended to reflect such changes.

User avatar
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:58 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by Pirate » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:01 pm

But some stereotypes are true! For example English people are supposed to be polite or Italian people are supposed to be romantic. I think it's good for international relation if we know some really special things about people from other countries.

User avatar
maryemily
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:16 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by maryemily » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:41 am

great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time, I have already heard that in some countries, people think we don't have houses, buildings, or go to school, or can even have culture. That is due to the fact (in part) that our midia exports that image....only Carnaval, and beaches....Here, we think British are cold and are always on time.....and French don't have showers.....of course, generalizations contain faults. Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!

User avatar
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:58 am
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by Pirate » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:03 am

maryemily wrote:great topic!!!!!! yeah, people tend to make stereotypes, for example, about Brazilian girls....people say we make sex all the time,
Aw, I know South American girls are quite hot, but not that stuff! I always see them in stadium watching football excitingly.
It's somehow like the cliche' "all who speak Spanish can dance since s/he can walk!" :wink:
maryemily wrote: Once, a teacher of mine said that, when living in Spain, tried to date a boy, and his mother didn't like her because for her, Brazilian women are all whores!!!!!!!!
Forget it, she might be too old to know what is true ... he he

Andrefm
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:01 am

Post by Andrefm » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:48 am

:? I agree, because the same happens here in Brazil, people think we just have carnaval and our country is amazonas forest.
I think nobody should include a whole coutry that has many diferent people in only one image. It can't express the truth.
hi. i' Andre. I'm from Brazil. I like music...

xiaomanman

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by xiaomanman » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:48 pm

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.
generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by Shazzam » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:17 am

xiaomanman wrote:
TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.
generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.
Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by MissLT » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:02 pm

Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.
Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.

lillychen
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:58 am
Location: CHINA

hi

Post by lillychen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:41 am

Sex, I think every adult like it if he or she have a good health. It is important just like eating and sleeping for a human being.why not a British man?

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by Shazzam » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote: Exactly!

The reason it is looked upon that the British don't like sex is because they don't like to talk about sex. It is a taboo. From what I have heard from some people that I know that are British it is seen as being in very bad taste.
Hmmmm... I believe the stereotype of the Americans don't like sex more than the Brits don't like sex :lol: . Americans are afraid to show X-rated scenes on television, but they somehow have teenagers drop out of high school because partly they're pregnant :roll: . Brits's televison, on the other hand, shows a lot of nudity. Nothing of that censor board over the nudity parts (I hate it when they're doing the stupid censor thing; it ruins my moods. :lol: ) on their shows like American's.
I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by MissLT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:08 am

Shazzam wrote:
I was referring to general conversation not media. I know that most british people don't like discussing sex. They might watch it but they don't like talking about it. :wink:
Neither do most people in the world. People around the world have jokes about sex, but we don't talk about it as a daily conversation. It even goes far worst in some countries; it's like it's a taboo (you've already said it :wink: ). And teaching kids about sex is still something that not everyone agrees on. In America, the school has to have the permission from the parents to teach those kids about safe sex and stuff. I think it's idiotic not to teach kids about safe sex; however, I personally find those who talk about it as like their everyday conversation are having mental disorder. I don't like people who kiss and tell. What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by Rui » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:50 pm

LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by MissLT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)
Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?

User avatar
mr_Love
Platinum Member
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:43 am

Post by mr_Love » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:14 am

:!:

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by Rui » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:23 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Rui wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:What happening in the bed should remain in the bed.
in bed or somewhere else, because doing it always in bed it's kind boring :lol:, and besides… I guess it’s not a secret to anyone what is supposed to do 8)
Uh huh! Intimacy should be respected. We have jokes about sex genders, but not sex in general. Well, we only do that with family or close friends, you agree with me? Not in a crowded place, open public, to strangers, etc. right?
well, i agree with your opinion... however it's difficult sometimes to understand why people are so shy talking about it, as i said... i do the things that everybody does... and i respect if someone has a different opinion, i don't know but i look to sex like any other thing we do in live, if it gives you pleasure you should do it as much as you can but with careful, i guess we need to have this kind of behave with all matters, isn't it?

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:54 am

As an Amercian, am I a cowboy? No, I cannot ride a horse. Am I culturally ignorate and insensitive? No - as I have lived overseas for some time and speak 3 languages. But, I do share some traits of stereotype cowboys, that is independence a willingness to venture into the unknow. But other cultures share those same traits also.


I am sort of new so I hope I am doing this right...with the quote from above...
I agree with you we might have some qualities of the stereotypes from our countries of origin,but there is so much more to find out about people, I only wish that the mis-understandings that sometimes come up were easy to solve, between cultures. I was once married to someone from another culture (South pacific islander-Tonga) and we tried to get past all the different ways of thinking and doing things but in the end it was too difficult & too many dissagreements...we had to move on, to be able to be the people we really were.
I believe stereotyping exists (mostly) only when one does not care enough to look deeper...still we are (sometimes deeply)affected by our culture.
I was raised by people considered "hippys", in the so called "counterculture" a whole different take (or story) on culture.

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:26 am

Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:56 am

tikay wrote:
Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 pm

[
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:[/quote]



In psycology there is something called the madonna/whore complex...I was merely saying I dont agree with the type of man who wants a girl to be a virgin but he would never conside it for himself...like he should experiment with different partners but these women he beds are not worth marrying...that he saves for a special girl who would never do that, what he has been doing...the double standard. is thatokay to you? and what of those girls who he had sex with were they not worthy of a marriage proposal...even though they may have hung round in the relationship with a guy...in case he was an open minded sort who would one day propose to (silly me)
sexual experimantation on the part of all sexes should be either a right for all or not good for anyone... or how about switching things around TO: NOW you guys stay virgins and we will play around and treat you like rubbish if you do it before marriage.
see what I am sayin?
equality baby!

discoverer
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:41 pm
Location: france

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by discoverer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:00 pm

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?
Yeah i agree with you... i'm french and often we can see in the american movies(for example) old french persons wearing berets, with their breads .. lol .. but its rather funny to see this. :lol:
But now the new generations are more "open" and it's ok.

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Shazzam wrote:
tikay wrote:
Arale wrote:Now most young people have sexual relation before their marriage. And it seems man just want a virgin girl. It is really not fair. Do you think it is an important criterion to find your future spouse?

_Arale_
You are right! this is so ridiculous, as something of a feminist I have to say how wrong of anyone to expect so much of a girl...or a guy for that matter, and the stereotype is that the woman is purer if she has avoided her sexuality before ...but having been married now she becomes what? a vixen overnight? Then (is she impure the minute she has sex) the things we want from our potential partner in life should be things we will do ourself...just my opinion.
I don't think it has anything to do with purity. My thoughts are that is more about ego and control. Men don't like to be compared, if a woman has had more than one partner they feel insecure. The control part stems from the fact that most women have a very special place for their first sexual partner. You can draw you on conclusions on that one. :idea:

I dont particularly like being compared to old lovers either...and it is really rude to do that to a partner...aloud, anyway... and comparisons should even be kept to a minimum in the mind of someone who is willing to move forward , as a form of self-disipline and self control... what is the reason to keep the past lover in mind constantly in the new relationship?
I believe that a person needs to be basically free from past relations/relationships... before joining another person in a new union, unless it is just a one night stand where this doctrine or idea would not really matter,
Still if the former mate, has been rejected, or has rejected you, and that realtionship is truly over...what is the reason to compare the next person to them?
I have had lots of relationships, and I am happy to say that each person had something that drew me in and each relationship could rest on its own attributes and its own life and nuances...there is no need to live in the past.
If a man is really so different than woman...where this is concerned that will have to be proven to me.
A lover is not meant to be compared, but to be loved....for themselves. If someone is comparing them to the last love, that is merely a relationship problem, something to work through together.

I think that men are subliminally programmed and need to shed the programming, that women who sleep around, ( experiment sexually) are not worthy, because of stigma in the past...all men need to do is learn to step into the shoes (ouch) of woman to try to better understand her.
They have imaginations...they can see how wrong it may be, this double-standard. Again I stress: What if the roles were reversed? How would they feel?

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

my PersonaL add:

Post by tikay » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:41 pm

here is my idea of a fair personal add:

Older woman seeks virginal male...must be sexually inexperienced so that I may train, to my particular liking, and that I will not be at risk for even one sexual malady or disease.
must be willing to do whatever I ask even when you find it repulsive,as that obedience, on your part, is part of the ultimate pleasure for me. If you have had any form of sexual experience, I WILL CONSIDER YOU TAINTED, thus, in this instance please do not waste my time, I need a virgin, so do not bother to reply. I will consider your sexual wishes, once our relations are established, but I may not be expected to perform them, if I find them unappealing to my tastes. Still you will be expected to applaud my every desire.
If you meet my requirements then e-mail me at the address below to set up a meeting as soon as humanly possible:
Iamactuallyaguy@kissmail.com (not a real address!)

Ludacris? YES!
would you ever see this honesty in real life ? NO!
would a woman suggest this ? Very doubtful...(no)
do men act this way? (some men) ABSOLUTELY!
Is that insane? YES!
can you change if you are like this? Questionable without therapy. :lol:
Last edited by tikay on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Boris
Silver Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: Moscow

Post by Boris » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:00 pm

I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Oh they merely had your country mixed up with my ex-boyfriend...he drank much Vodka each day with enthusiam! :lol:

User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Post by illusion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:51 am

Boris wrote:I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.
don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:38 pm

illusion wrote:
Boris wrote:I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.
don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....
nonsense! poles are cute... and open-hearted, surely... i didn't have much communication but it was enough for me to realise it!

and about russians... i don't know, bears are rare... :lol: but about vodka and drinking on the whole... i may say it's comparatively true, to my diappontment...

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:23 pm

HMMMM!
No one has anything to say about my feminist remarks...interesting! :lol:
I was at the beach with a group of women once...telling jokes...when one of them told a very offensive joke about a Polish woman on her wedding day...it was awful and made me squirm so i spoke up with my joke...I said "that is terrible... I am a Pole". Everyone got really quiet for awhile :oops: and I felt better watching her squirm. :roll: :lol: I think she apologised and I just accepted it :lol: ...that's one point for the bad tikay! I cant stand racism!!! It is ignorance personified, pure and simple.
If you are racist you should not only keep it quiet but work to change your attitudes about people. (I may even have some Pole....werent they very near the Lap people. Those are supposed to be a part of my heritage...as well as six or seven other races/clan/tribes of PEOPLE.

I welcome answers to the feminist add i made y'all!
And to this one too :) :? Where are my supporters! :cry:

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm

tikay wrote:HMMMM!
No one has anything to say about my feminist remarks...interesting! :lol:
I was at the beach with a group of women once...telling jokes...when one of them told a very offensive joke about a Polish woman on her wedding day...it was awful and made me squirm so i spoke up with my joke...I said "that is terrible... I am a Pole". Everyone got really quiet for awhile :oops: and I felt better watching her squirm. :roll: :lol: I think she apologised and I just accepted it :lol: ...that's one point for the bad tikay! I cant stand racism!!! It is ignorance personified, pure and simple.
If you are racist you should not only keep it quiet but work to change your attitudes about people. (I may even have some Pole....werent they very near the Lap people. Those are supposed to be a part of my heritage...as well as six or seven other races/clan/tribes of PEOPLE.

I welcome answers to the feminist add i made y'all!
And to this one too :) :? Where are my supporters! :cry:
Actually i haven't noticed it before... :oops: :roll:
now i have read! you make me laughing so many times!
I agree nothing of this kind from a lady... but who knows i'm sure there are ladies that do not need to post such inviting messages, they practise it just for fun... :lol: :lol:
and what do you suggest to change if we are like this? i can't understand :(
and going back... men think of it as they may find it sexual atractive, but making such a proposal... that's weird! ladies have common sense not to do it! :lol:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:07 pm

Common sense...exactly...so do men have none? :lol:
So yes I am saying you should change...as soon as possible please! :lol:




maybe I lost my true calling as a dominatrix!


I meant to say that one should try to change these evil double-standards...because they do get women killed every single day...you know it happens all the time...it is evil.
Men are not on a higher rung than women but they pretend it then insist on their importance and demand us to adhere to their lies.

we are the superior, of these two choices if anyone is, but we let you play your games, because you will go mad if this game is interrupted! :lol:

thanks for answering me!
madame X
now~ get down on your knees!

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:22 pm

Better still... MAKE ME LUNCH! :lol:

User avatar
illusion
Platinum Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Poland

Post by illusion » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:12 pm

Tora wrote:
illusion wrote:
Boris wrote:I’m from Russia.
I heard terrible amount of stereotype about my country. Every day we drink vodka. Everyone cam meet a bear at the street in Moscow and many many other funny things.
don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....
nonsense! poles are cute... and open-hearted, surely... i didn't have much communication but it was enough for me to realise it!

and about russians... i don't know, bears are rare... :lol: but about vodka and drinking on the whole... i may say it's comparatively true, to my diappontment...

really? I didn't know we were that cute :P

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Post by Tora » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:25 pm

illusion wrote:
Tora wrote:
illusion wrote: don't worry, that's what I hear about my my nation too. The Poles are either dunkards or thieves....
nonsense! poles are cute... and open-hearted, surely... i didn't have much communication but it was enough for me to realise it!

and about russians... i don't know, bears are rare... :lol: but about vodka and drinking on the whole... i may say it's comparatively true, to my diappontment...

really? I didn't know we were that cute :P
it's a long story, i was driving (not me but the coach) and visiting places in your country and i almost fall in love with our pole driver, cute really!.. oooh... :oops: :lol:

awalee
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Post by awalee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:57 pm

I do not think that truth . your fingers are not same. :roll:

User avatar
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 12886
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:56 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: Japan

Post by Alan » Wed May 10, 2006 1:19 am

I'd like to put paid once and for all to this ridiculous notion that we British are polite and boring and only ever discuss the weather...ermm, if you wouldn't mind terribly, that is...I mean, if it wouldn't cause offence for me to do so, umm...well, what with all this rain we've been having...
:-)

jeffcox
Gold Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Post by jeffcox » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:40 pm

I'm British, I love sex, and I'd rather do it than talk about it!
No sex please, we're British
This is about conservatism and etiquette more than about the sex itself. The British still have an acute sense of decorum in public situations, a stereotype that is true. But stereotyping is generalization, which means there are always exceptions. Therefore, they don't accurately describe a nation and even less accurately describe a single person from that country.

I live in Brazil where things are somewhat more relaxed and I have no problems adjusting to it. Most of the time, I do things here as I would do them in England and it doesn't cause a problem except when I have to spend 2 hours in the doctor's or dentist's surgery because I arrived on time!

shadds
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: India

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by shadds » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:20 pm

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?
i think just by using such cliches.. one tries to find some mystique attached to certain community.. i know that i like the way english live.. after all we in india owe a lot to british (Brits brought first spec of technology to our countryland, brit books are liked in india,naturally so..).. The course of mechanical engineering if learned from a German engineer's perpective, it makes one apprciate the Germans..the moment one realises that these are false it simply takes the sheen out of it. This is what we call culture.. and it gotta be distinct..

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Post by Hardi » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:45 pm

British tourists travel to estonia only because of sex. They don't care about culture. Tourism offices in britannia shell estonia as a country where can have good sex and cheap alcohol.. The place where to go for stag-night... It's so abusive. There was interview once in tv. with some of those tourist. Those idiots told they do good because they bring money to poor easteuropean Estonia.. Stinky fat british.. I hope they all get HIV here.

jeffcox
Gold Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Post by jeffcox » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:12 pm

I'm British and HIGHLY OFFENDED by your words.
I've never been to Estonia and I've never been involved in sex tourism.

I'm probably right in saying that the British are not the only ones involved in the toursim there; there will be other nationalities too.

I'm sure that many Estonians are involved in this disgusting activity, too. Does that make you a stinky fat Estonian?

Please direct your anger to 'those British who do this activity' and not to 'British'.

When you say 'British' you refer to all Britons, include me and you are therefore insulting me.

If you say 'those British who do this' then you are talking about those few Britons who participate in that awful activity - and that excludes me; and you're absolutely right, I totally agree.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Post by Hardi » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:34 pm

Good.

Though, I'm only heard that british tourism offices shell estonia this way. Yes there is seen many tourists from other countries some time, who drunk bottom of table because they find vodka so cheap here, that they find it's crime not to drink. Actually I don't know any of these bordello where they located and I don't get how and why they know...

jeffcox
Gold Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am
Location: England - Brazil

Post by jeffcox » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:56 am

Then, I think you should do some research before you insult a whole nation based only on what you've heard!

England has some very strict laws on sex tourism, some of the most rigid in the world. And don't forget about the marketing expression 'supply and demand'... no supply, no demand; no demand, no supply...

So if all British are dirty fat pigs because they go to Estonia for sex... then all Estonians are prostitutes because they offer sex. So, are you a prostitute? Is your sister a prostitute? Is your mother a prostitute?

Can you see how such generalisations are offensive?

User avatar
MooNboy
Gold Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 am
Location: He's Nomad...

Post by MooNboy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:19 pm

If we think that way, we must say that Chinese love sex,having and taking care of babies :D :D

pansera
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Post by pansera » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:19 am

In my opinion these clichés just make some kind of conflicts between countries.
Most of these clichés are just another country, however some can be real, for example when some Brazilian people refers to an argentine as a "dirty” person. We say that because when come to our beaches most of them do not care about cleanliness.

pansera
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Post by pansera » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:23 am

I am Brazilian also, and I agree with you.
I think the people should see the clichés as a good critic ,that is, if such clichés do not sounds good for the country, the person should try to change it to be able to make their country better.

User avatar
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:44 pm
Status: English Teacher
Contact:

Post by Oriani » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:26 pm

Agree :P

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:25 am

The stereotypes I know of Brazil are women have big hips and long, dark hair. Brazilians like to dance, and they all know how to dance Lambada. :P :lol:

ASG
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: K.S.A

Post by ASG » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:38 am

I don't think so, in my personal opinion I respect the nation of British. Don't worry about what they said, British still British.

my intersts to this country is my attempts of learning british accent. :lol:

nice to participating with you in this topic.

waleed
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:52 am
Location: sudan
Contact:

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by waleed » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:12 am

TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
the question is how we can measure sex ? by kilo or cm no one can detect ur biritsh love sex or even by having babies may be the britsh r still concervative a bout the sex but even not talking about not meaning that you do not have it , so enjoy your self

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?

sharklish
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: China

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by sharklish » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:30 pm

xiaomanman wrote:
TP wrote:No Sex Please, we're British!
For example, many people think that the British don't like sex.
generalization is inaccurate sometimes. If British people don't like sex, why would so many British babies come to the world everyday? Where are these new babies from?

Of course, they are from sex.
I burst out when i saw your answer ,it is very funy but get the point .

User avatar
tammyhowells
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by tammyhowells » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm

i think generelalisation gives an idea of how people from other country are but its not always right. people are different according to way they were brought up, the education they had etc... im a brazilian married to a british, didnt know much about english culture before going there, the only thing i could remember of is that they were very punctual and drink tea with milk. ok, they r not that punctual but they love their tea!!!! but still think its good to give u an idea about the main characteristic of the other culture.

User avatar
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 am
Status: Other
Contact:

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by sweethuman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 am

Actually it is good to be aware of different cultures and we should always try to implement the similiar points among each other.

Annaslm
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:20 pm
Status: English Learner

CULTURAL GENERALIZATION HELP PEOPLE TO INTERGRATE

Post by Annaslm » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:08 pm

Judy2004 wrote: We may all admit the fact that people who come from different countries think and behavior in a different way. So before we get to know foreigners, the only way we can obtain an idea about them is from generalizations.Obviously, during the communication with foreigners,if you are equipped with the up-to-date generalizations,you can understand your parter more and feel more comfortable,at the same time, make your parter feel at home.In addition, more information from the generalizations can avoid the misunderstanding ,sometimes even culture conflict to the greatest extent.

In my opinion, cultural generalizations can people help to intergrate in a foreign country. I totally agree with Judy2004, the only way to obtain an idea about the country is from the generalizations. But there's a difference between helpful cultural generalizations and cliches or stereotypes. I think, stereotypes are sometimes funny to hear. (When I hear the american thoughts of my country, Austria, and the lack of similarities between the film "The sound of music" and the real austria) Stereotypes can even humiliate someone, so I think we should take care while talking about prejudices.

Annaslm
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:20 pm
Status: English Learner

CULTURAL GENERALIZATION DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERYONE IS LIKE THAT

Post by Annaslm » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:18 pm

PolishLady wrote:Stereotypes are as old as people I think. "The problem" lies in different culture and mentality. I'm partly writing my MA thesis on this topic and I find it very interesting. Why? Because I'm a Pole and I dislike general opinions about my nation, especially given by the Americans as far as I know :( But isn't it a stereotype either?? I'm not going to tell you I don't like the Americans, contrary, I would like to meet some of them :) And the British? Personally, I think they are very original and interesting. And what about us, Polish girls? We are just different, and so are the girls from Germany, Britain, Russia, Slovakia.... With Polish greetings - Polish Lady (not Makbeth :lol: )
I strongly agree with PolsihLady, it's a fact that cultural generalizations are helpful, but you shoud pay attention when talking about a foreign country. "cultural generalization" doesn't mean that EVERYONE in this country is like that or does it. e.g: I would say that british people drink a lot of tea, it's a cultural generalization and I think it's true and it's helpful to know when I go to Britain. But I keep in mind, that not everyone in Britain drinks a lot of tea. We are all different, you can't make a generalization about ALL people.

User avatar
ritzkevin
Silver Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:39 am
Status: English Teacher
Location: Philippines

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by ritzkevin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:30 pm

There are some people who make generalizations about my country and my people. I think they have to see or experience it themselves if it is true or not.
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso

itschocolate
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 pm
Status: English Learner

Stereotypes - as long as they are positive

Post by itschocolate » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:26 pm

sweethuman wrote:Actually it is good to be aware of different cultures and we should always try to implement the similiar points among each other.
I also think that it's helpful to know about different cultures. But I have to strongly disagree with you, sweethuman, because I can only be content with stereotypes and prejudices if they don't effect that people think negatively of different cultures. For example I, as an Austrian, have no problem with foreign people thinking that Austrians wear "Dirndl" and leather trousers all day and everywhere. Because that is nothing that makes the Austrians seem mean or even hazardous. But if I think of the prejudice that the Polish are known for stealing (which isn't true, I know :) ), then I have to say that stereotypes are childish and old-fashioned.

(No offence! :-) )
itschocolate

User avatar
klarazeba
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:37 pm
Status: English Learner

Re:

Post by klarazeba » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Here in Austria it's not much different. One week ago in my school, a british women introduced herself and the topic of the lesson was STEREOTYPES. She asked us to speak about some British stereotypes (like all the British love drinking tea) and in return she told us some Austrian. I couldn't believe it but some people really think that we are drinking bear all the time, eating Schnitzel, singing or "jodeling" in the mountains and wearing our traditional "Dirndl" or "Lederhose". In my opinion everybody is unique and it's not possible to summarise the population of one coutry and generalize it.

User avatar
Studentlike
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:46 pm
Status: Other

Re: No Sex Please, we're British!

Post by Studentlike » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Of course there are a few stereotypes in each country and I think the older generation has made them to show that everyone is different and have other stereotypes. I think this is what makes the whole country so special and unique.

Post Reply