Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, TalkingPoint

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:48 am

paradise wrote:hi all
i think that exams it is a waste of time because it is as a revision for what u study and at the final exam u will find ur self just only refresh ur mind .
It doesn't make sense.

Waqar
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:13 am
Location: Pakistan
Contact:

Post by Waqar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:33 am

To me

Exams are like GIRL FRIENDS,
1. Too many questions.
2. Difficult to understand.
3. More explanation is needed.
4. Result is always failed.


So it is waste of time for me.
_____________________________________________________

visit me at http://www.meetwaqar.tk
drop me a line at waqarjaved@msn.com

Guest

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:40 am

Waqar wrote:To me

Exams are like GIRL FRIENDS,
1. Too many questions.
2. Difficult to understand.
3. More explanation is needed.
4. Result is always failed.


So it is waste of time for me.
_____________________________________________________

visit me at http://www.meetwaqar.tk
drop me a line at waqarjaved@msn.com
:lol: that's funny!

User avatar
Peterson
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:14 am
Contact:

Post by Peterson » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:13 am

If there is no exam, how could we know who have learned better than others? Tests are not so scientific to the reflections on the reaults of study, but what other ways can we find to substitue for it?

User avatar
Peterson
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: exams

Post by Peterson » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:25 am

costadina wrote:iI believe that whether exams are a waste of time of not depends on how you use them. If you use them to measure a students ability and to find their weak spots in order to help them improve, then they are useful. If you use them as the only way of measuring their competency, then I don't think they are the best way to measure competency. Most students preform badly in exams due to stress. :( ][/i]
Exams is one of the ways to test a learner. We must integrate a student's test result with his/her other performance. It's better to put about 70% in the test and 30% in other performances, say, for English as a Second Languge, the learners have to use English to communicate with their partners besides their paper test.

shami
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:46 am

Post by shami » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:58 pm

Hi guys.. :D

well from my own point of view.. i think that exam is just a waste ..indeed ..

ok

exam determins whether or not iam learning ..But it really cause fear to me :cry:

i hate taking exam :(

so as Waqar said it is waste of time

armmy
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:28 am
Location: china

Post by armmy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:45 am

i like exam though the process is very difficult.

by this way i can train myself and live better than before!
the new day is coming when the sun is up!

biebiebiesnoopy
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 am
Location: hong kong

Post by biebiebiesnoopy » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:03 am

well, i don't think exam is a waste of time.
for me, exam is a good method to let me know if i really understand the topic. you know, during lessons, we are used to listening to teachers' lectures and very often, we don't know if we understand the topic. exams can help us to know if we really understand the topic because there is no teacher sitting besides us during the exam and no one will guide us in answering the question. so, if we understand the topic, we will be able to answer all the questions and get a good grade, and vice versa.

iris198783
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:16 am

Post by iris198783 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:25 pm

Although most of us hate exam,i don't think it is a waste of time.On the contrary,if there is no more exam to test how much we have learnt so far,it will be a waste of time. It is because most of us have laziness, if there is no exam,will we have the self-motivation to study? I doubt. I think exam is just like an engine,one which pushes us to study hard and leading us to the bright future. Therefore, i can say with certainty that exam is needed, it is not a waste of time.

wonki
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:35 am

exams

Post by wonki » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:47 am

:shock:

Hey i have been shocked,,,,,,
how can exams be a waste of time!!
The exams show how well you study for a particular period of time. There could be plenty of ways that can prove your level.
But, i do not think there is none as good as exams.

The homework or assignment cannot be the way of criticizing students' level because other people outside of school can help students secretly.

But how about the exams? everyone is doing exams on the same day, same time. Most of all, students have to study for the exams, unless they want to fail.

thank you for reading~~!

Dale
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:24 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Contact:

Post by Dale » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:43 pm

exam is a waste of time in Hong Kong
orianted educational system is the cause of such problem
students have their nose in the book and they have no idea on the things around them. Their own job is to memorize all the things and write that things in the exam paper
It's meaningless!
they don't know how useful of the knowledge and how can they use it in their daily life.
Would you mind to talk with a student?

User avatar
Honey
Silver Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Colombia
Contact:

Post by Honey » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 am

Hi!

:lol: Exams, exams, exams... They're useful to measure, in certain extent, your competence in any area. Depending on how they're designed, they can let you test your ability or, on the contrary, make you go nuts. :P

That's why I agree with you, Dale: the educational system of our countries could change radically our concept about exams, studies and homework.

It also depends on how you take it: as a challenge, or a trouble. There are different aspects that change our mind about exams :D , including the teacher, the subject, the topic and the number of questions (which usually is large)! :evil:


Another interesting question would be
Are exams a friendly actiity to waste time? :roll:

I'm sure the answers would be partial, as well.
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

cassie
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:49 am
Location: Canada

what you make of it

Post by cassie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:56 am

Exams, as any part of studying whether it be another language or another topic, are an essential part of finding out how much you really know and have learned from the course. If you don't like them, it may be because you haven't made the most of your opportunity to learn that subject. What's the point of trying to learn something if you aren't going to do a check once in a while to see if you really understand what you've been trying to learn?

Would you bake a cake and then not bother to find out if you made a cake that tastes delicious by never eating it? :?:
Merry meet,
Merry part,
Merry meet again!

konomi&peter
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:20 pm

We agree with your opinions!!

Post by konomi&peter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:33 pm

:D Hi Deanna
We found you!!!! :lol:

We think the exam is a small matter in our whole life :!:
Sometiomes we need to take exams, so we have to check our ability oursleves. :twisted:

We think University enterance exam is a waste of time because we only have to memorise a lot of things that don't need in our future. After exam, we forgot everything. :lol:

We have to find another methods to enter University, especially in Asia countries. We think the important thing is what we want to study in University. :P

cassie
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:49 am
Location: Canada

Re: We agree with your opinions!!

Post by cassie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:38 pm

konomi&peter wrote:
We think University enterance exam is a waste of time because we only have to memorise a lot of things that don't need in our future. After exam, we forgot everything. :lol:

We have to find another methods to enter University, especially in Asia countries. We think the important thing is what we want to study in University. :P

I agree with you there. Taking a test to get into university doesn't make sense. If you are only memorising information that is otherwise unnecessary, why are you taking the test? A better way, I think, is to look at all of your grades when you are in high school. When you are already in university, though, I think exams for each class are very useful. :twisted:
Merry meet,
Merry part,
Merry meet again!

SeungAsami
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: what you make of it

Post by SeungAsami » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:39 pm

cassie wrote:Exams, as any part of studying whether it be another language or another topic, are an essential part of finding out how much you really know and have learned from the course. If you don't like them, it may be because you haven't made the most of your opportunity to learn that subject. What's the point of trying to learn something if you aren't going to do a check once in a while to see if you really understand what you've been trying to learn?

Would you bake a cake and then not bother to find out if you made a cake that tastes delicious by never eating it? :?:
We agree with you because taking exams are necessary to know how much we really know and have learned from our classes.
However,exams make us very nervous and stressful.Sometimes,we have to do many things all day and stay up all night....
Some of students care about exams too much!!
For example in Korea when students fail the exam for entering University, sometimes they suicide. It's so terrible!!
Exams are important but we think the progress is the most important thing.Teachers should not care only about exams.

SeungAsami
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: We agree with your opinions!!

Post by SeungAsami » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:47 pm

konomi&peter wrote::D Hi Deanna
We found you!!!! :lol:

We think the exam is a small matter in our whole life :!:
Sometiomes we need to take exams, so we have to check our ability oursleves. :twisted:

We think University enterance exam is a waste of time because we only have to memorise a lot of things that don't need in our future. After exam, we forgot everything. :lol:

We have to find another methods to enter University, especially in Asia countries. We think the important thing is what we want to study in University. :P

I agree that most students forget evrything after taking exams!!
It's true.We study hard just for exams.
After that,it's easy to forget because we concentrate to mark good scores.

konomi&peter
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Re: Exams are Important & Necessary

Post by konomi&peter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:57 pm

rocely wrote::D Hi, everyone!
I think exams are important to know your level :!:
You know, all of the students hate exams,
but if there were not exams, how can we measure our ablities :?:
Yes, I know test time is hard to stand because we are sometime nervous and have to saturate new information.

There is an easy way to take exams :!:
If you prepare a little part everyday, you can be ready for your final test :!: :!: :!:

You're right!!!!
If We study constantly, we can take gooood! score what we want, but the problem is that we don't like study everyday :twisted:

Rodrigo Klassen
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:34 am

in my opinion, it's not exactly a wast of time. but many times it's not fair with the students. it's necessary to create new ways to know how much the student have learned where the teacher participate more of the learning process having a better knowledge about the student level.
there's no space here to write everything i wanted

Yan999
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 7:57 am

Post by Yan999 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 am

whats an exam? its different in different condition. i would like to specify what i think from my experience.
when i was in the university, its really a burden for me to take an exam, there are too many exams and it means too much for a student, especially seems some exams made no sense for someone, but we have to join it and get a high score, in this case, i think its kind of waisting time. but for other case, exam will help us to know more knowledge, such as some majority cause, its important, exam helped one to review what s/he studied and what s/he gained from it.
when i am in work like now, exams is not really the same meaning as the exam we took before, we always learned a lot from book and experienced it in our work, so its some kind of exams already and its more practical... we can gain more money from it, its more interresting and have more fun.
as what i said, i think its wonderful studying in work and serving for work. its a great exam not wasting time in the society-more risky, more fun.

Nabulsi
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 5:05 pm
Location: Kano,Nigeria.

EXAMS CAN BE A WASTE OF TIME!

Post by Nabulsi » Thu May 12, 2005 6:16 pm

People often say that testing people by way of examination is not the best way to access the candidate's capability.The best candidate is often not the most intelligent candidate.
But what is the next best alternative? In the absence of any, we have to resort to conducting exams.
Aliyu Nabulsi.

leen@rasel
Silver Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Post by leen@rasel » Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 am

dear friend i partialy disagree with you because if there were no exams we could't be able to see how much good we are in a certain subject , therefore , how much effort do we need to improve our selves, yet sometimes they are waste of time if some teachers but not all of them are fair in their correcting :cry:

authorityquery
Silver Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by authorityquery » Mon May 16, 2005 4:32 pm

I don't agree with you totally. Because if you don't have any exam, how you can check knowledge and you don't have anything to base on to estimate personal abilities??
And for student , exam's coming means it'll encourage students study hard to get a good mark, so that's a good chance for everybody have to review everything they learn, human instinct 's lazy.
However, in the other hands, government should reduce some exams are uneccessary, and don't make students become stress by pressure.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

User avatar
Etore
Silver Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:06 pm
Location: Brazil

Post by Etore » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.
Etore

User avatar
GiddyGad
Gold Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Russia

Post by GiddyGad » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Etore wrote:Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.
Are you talking about tests, control, or exams.
Tests are inevitable - one needs a stimulus to move on.
Control can be indirect and, actually, a good teacher controls students indirectly so they didn't even suspect they are being controlled.
Exams are for those who decides whether you are appropriate or not - it's the easiest way to wash brains and in this way exams are harmful. Taking into account that they don't prove anything. If a student wants to further his education , say, in America (s)he will have not only to get a TOEFL or Cambridge certificate, (s)he'll have to show an appropriate language command no exams but an interview can show.
Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:26 am

GiddyGad wrote: Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad
No way! Without examinations people go to classes just for getting new information, which they will probably forget it the next day or soon. However, if there are examinations, people have to review their lectures over and over and try to understand them real well, so they will ace their tests. Although tests do show who is better than whom, but this is life-- each individual has his or her own ability to ace the tests. Only idiots or 99% of the case of people who don't review or study for their lectures will get F's.
And what's up with equal possibilities? Are we supposed to?

reddylee
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:06 am

I don't agree with that.

Post by reddylee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 am

I don't agree with that.

bolina1984
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:05 am
Contact:

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Post by bolina1984 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 am

TP wrote:Are Exams a Waste of Time?
Sometimes.
The only function of exams is to check how well you learned. But you cannot put the theory into practices by taking exams. That's a waste of time.
Aother point is that exams spur you to pay more attention to your studies. To some extent, that's a good thing.
Always remember the saying that "every coin has two sides".
I am No.1

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:50 am

For some students exams work like goal setting. They need to have the exams to establish that the work they are doing is on target; or requires more attention.

There are definate benefits from exams for students and teachers. It gives teachers the opportunity to see where students may need more assistance etc....

User avatar
someone_cute
Silver Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:54 am
Location: Arabian Gulf !!

Post by someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:33 pm

As they have said ...
Exams are very important for us to show our abilities to understand the lessons and to know the clever students from the lazies and give them their marks with out cheating from teachers .. it happened by the way by some teachers ( giving students marks or steal marks from them ) although if the student doesn't deserve that ..
but sometimes I think exams are wasting for time specially when they depend on memorizing .. and we should only have monthly exams at least which means there is no mid term exams or final ..
Teachers also have 2 be merciful because we are suffering from the stress at school :cry:
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 am

Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.

User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Post by Shazzam » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.
:?

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Post by MissLT » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:32 pm

shazzam1452 wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.
:?
It means they don't know all the materials if they don't study. Just because they think examinations are not necessary, it does not mean they'll know everything and they'll ace the tests. I believe a person only thinks exams are not necessary to be taken when s/he could proudly say that s/he has aced every single test that is given out. At that point, exams are truly not needed for them. Otherwise, exams are a good way to review your materials that you've learned. Right?

DacHuy
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:57 am

Post by DacHuy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:42 pm

Examinations are important for me. They help me practice some skill, such as preparing, Writing, reporting, so that.
But they make me sotired and waste much time.

User avatar
CityYoung
Gold Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: UnderTheTree

Post by CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:14 pm

No exams are very important ,beacuse we check our levels and skills to know if we improve or not .

User avatar
DocAndy
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 am
Location: Austria / Vienna

Post by DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 pm

I hate exams!
An exam says nothing what you really can. Thats my oppinion.

In Austria we have notes from 1(best) - 5(worst). My last test was a 4. :evil:

You can make the same test 2 times (with different examples). You will get probably different notes.

trinity19
Silver Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Barcelona

Post by trinity19 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:38 pm

i can only say one thing: i learn much more preparing courseworks and reading books than studing for exams. i'm not saying we shouldn't do any exams because there are some things that teachers must be sure we've learnt and the best way of doing it is testing us without the possibility of having copied or anything, but exams shouldn't be the most important thing. sometimes the whole course is tested with an only exam, in my opinion this is very unfair.

SleepyTear
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:51 am
Location: China

Post by SleepyTear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:26 am

In China
What is most important to a student?
:arrow: EXAMS :arrow: MARKS :arrow: MONEY
Though you do perfectly in your homework or other fields,it is the performance of exams that determines whether you're intelligent or not :?: :idea: Silly... And maybe, in some sense, it determines your future status in society :idea: I find this detestful...as you know the Education System of China,which I think produces Learned Idiots :evil:

Personally, I consider that exams are a waste of talents :idea:

pruthvy
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:58 am
Location: india

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by pruthvy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:56 pm

TP wrote:Are exams a waste of time?
i dont think so.exam prooves ones caliber

KcMurray
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Post by KcMurray » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:07 pm

well...exams are definitely not a waste of time becoz the result tells us how much effort we hav put in for the year.....and its important for students to realise that whether they hav paid attentions in class or just wondered around for the whole year...

User avatar
mirage
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:46 pm

Post by mirage » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I am new in this website, hello everybody :)

I will be an english techer next year, I am a universitiy student in one of the countries.

I don t think exams are waste of time.you are tested whether you are good at the subject or not by means of exams.
If teachers aware you are not good at,they teach the subject again in different ways by applying different methods :!:

In addition,if there is no obligation in this teaching environment,anybody won t have a willing to study.

so I advise you to study a lot to be an apprecient person in society :wink:

fahrenheit
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: lithuania

Post by fahrenheit » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm

In my opinion exem isn't devil of darkness. If you are bright-thinking, smart, resposable - you will pass your exem even more it would be peasure for doing it. Personaly i have many gaps in my learning, but i try to fill it with well quality knowlegde...

kathymimi
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 am
Location: China

Post by kathymimi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:26 am

exams are not waste of time to some point. at least you can really keep something in your mind if you want to pass the exams, or you may never spend your time in trying remember what you have learned in classes.

User avatar
Laxuan
Silver Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Trang Bom , Dong Nai

Post by Laxuan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:20 am

I think exam is very neccessary
without them you wont know which level you're at and which skills you are bad at, it also help other people to assess you when you apply for jobs.
In the other hand, some people try to use nasty equipment to help them to get good marks in an examination so it isn't really fair for the rest of student.Furthermore, some examiner who recieved money or any other things of the candidate will ignore what they will be doing during the exam.
so an exam always has pros and cons

samanehkarga
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:57 am

Post by samanehkarga » Sat May 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I think if students are not frightened of the exams it can be a good way to know them-selves much better but if they are stressful because of having an exam it won't be sth useful because they study just to pass the exam not to learn what they study so it depends on the situation to decide if the exams are waist of the time or not

sharklish
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: China

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Post by sharklish » Tue May 09, 2006 2:25 pm

hugoromo wrote:Well, as an educator I say no, perhaps students see this in a different spectrum.

In my teaching performance I´ve tried to show my students ,in practice , that exams can be fun.
All of these thru at a small pace, giving them the tools to put their own ideas in practice.

I challenge them into new situations, for example the world, techonology and personal topics.
One of the things that they are very clear by know is that one thing is to speak a second language and another it is to sound intelligent in a second one, in this case English.

I do believe, that exams are part of the overall performance that we persue, and as an instructor, I have the interesting and no less challenging responsibility to show them that exams are in a way one of the tools that I have to measure their own ideas.

PD: Our higher mark in Chile is a 7.0. Anyone who has been taught by me has this mark at the beginning of a test. Thru the process of correction some mistakes appear and at the end you keep the highest mark or not.
But the most important thing for my students is to express their ideas in a clear and simple way.


i agree with you .
HugoR
Chile

hanamichi
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Post by hanamichi » Tue May 16, 2006 2:45 pm

I think exams are good for us.They test our knowledge.However, in my country, there are too many tests and exams in a year and it makes me tired. I think we only need two tests and one exam for each subject in a term.

engineer
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Post by engineer » Sun May 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi,

exams are very important to start new step (stage), :wink:

thanks

User avatar
samento
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:02 am
Location: Thailand

Post by samento » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:03 am

Waste of time! No no, I don't think so.
You spend not more than 1-2 hours to take an exam.
So It's don't waste your time.
And if you argue that you must spend more time to prepare yourself before an exam, I would say that you spend times for yourself, not for an exam.
In addition, if you don't have to take an exam, I believe that no body will prepare yourself.

User avatar
fortminor
Gold Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 pm
Location: Iran
Contact:

Post by fortminor » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:33 pm

They are not wast of time, but all of them are so boring . i am always the first one who finishes ! lol... :lol:
consequently, everybody thinks i had studied so hard that i answered questions easily!they dont know i become bored when exam! :roll:

tikay
Gold Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Location: Lancaster, CA. U.S.

Post by tikay » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:59 am

I just finished school with a large percentage of people who wouldn't even bother to show up to class half the time. they all relied upon the notes of other students and the pre test notes by coming on the right day to class. i dont know how they are going o do in life but I think it is easy to study enough to let some info sink in to your head, then one must rest well and eat well before tests. But then i never had a hard time in school. So who am i to give advise, it is a really hard time for some people. SO they should give tips...how they get by might be more helpful to people. :oops:
well I try to help.

echip
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:46 am

Post by echip » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Students have to study too much nowadays and many exams make them worried! Some of them hate exams (like me), others don't! But, if all exams are waste of time, we won't know what to do after studying! That's the problem!
Ah, i'm terribly sorry if I make all of you annoyed 'coz there are some mistakes in your replies (in grammar or vocabulary), hope you can fix them!
Thanks!

star*dust
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: Jordan
Contact:

Post by star*dust » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:30 pm

i agree with Arale in that exams are good tools to measure where ur in the subject that ur studying..its also a good way of forcing students to review wat they studied and thus make it stick in their minds...at least at school!!
on the other hand, wen u leave school and enter the new life of universities, u start to wonder about the usefulness of exams and if there were a better way of grading the students....u c, students now r old enough to know wat they should study and wat may benefit them in life...so should we really force student to study because of an exam??? besides, exams are highly subjective in that its the teacher who chooses the questions and so something maybe important to him but the student really thinks its not which creates a problem. moreover, some of the students are really brilliant in a subject but they cant handle exam stress well.....does that mean that he is not a good student? and y should students be graded basing on the exams they take at the end of the year rather than their participation or understanding throughout the whole course?//

Thoughts
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm
Location: Iraq

Post by Thoughts » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Of course, no.Exames can be defined as an instrument of evaluation student's level.They are so important for students in all different stages of studying.The teacher can motivate his (her)students by (daily, weekly,monthly)exame, to improve them & get good marks.Sometimes, daily preparation for any matrial may not be taken in student's care ,hence, exames will play good role to achive one of two aims.The student will do his best effort either to consider the exam a chance to get what he has lost so far, or only to pass the exam itself.Consequently, exames give us a useful benefit.Another importance of exames is obtaining right estimation of student's level.Obviously, students can be classified into different groups according to their scientific positions(their comperehension capacity,their ability to understand...etc..)Finally, achieving motivation & estimation of students will lead to the essentiaal benefit of exames,it is the reinforcing of learning process.

shadds
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: India

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by shadds » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:05 pm

TP wrote:Are exams a waste of time?
NO not at all. Exams are equally important as learning. whatever people learn cannot be evaluated if there are no exams.

dovilorous
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by dovilorous » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:26 pm

hi, im a new member here. I had come across this forum page and i thought it was quite interesting.
well, i am from SG where the education system, i would say, is quite demanding. we have busy schedules, but however i must note that other countries may have an even more hectic education schedule. in Singapore, from secondary education onwards, it is extremely independent. Should a student fail to take his/her studies into his/her hands, it would result in bad results during exams. this would result in them hating exams, for these results would have to be shown to their parents. yes, such a scenario is common everywhere. this would be the main problem psychologically. so the saying goes, "once bitten twice shy". everything has its good and bad points to it. but, even if students fail, soem may realise their mistake and pick themselves up from then on and excell in their studies. those who give up on themselves would then have great problems during their academic years ahead. in general, i must say that exams are useful, to gage each student's level of performance and whether they need help in certain areas of their academic studies.

User avatar
crystalfrogw
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Tianjin,China

exam is absolutely not a waste of time!

Post by crystalfrogw » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Exam is a good method to test whether you have grasped the knowledge you have studied and will tell you on which direction you should pay more attention to.
Two resons may contribute to the condition-some of the students think exams terrible or boring.
1. a certain individual test itself is not good but not all exams are bad. for example some exams focus so much on theories or the knowlege which you need to recite instead of testing whether a students can use it into practice.
2. Indeed we must admit some students are afraid of exams because they don't make every effort to grasp what they should know. Learning is always not an easy thing to most of us(not include IQ>120, lol).so during the procedure of studying we may feel boring or exausted. At last in order to find an excause for themselves, they accuse of exams.

:P

jrkp
Gold Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Venezuela

Are they?

Post by jrkp » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:12 pm

In my opinion, the problem with exams is that they are very subjective. When the teacher is checking it, he/she doesn`t consider your feeling or your health at the moment you took it. It is very difficult to take an exam when you have problems at home or you are sick. Have you ever taken an exam having a running nose or a headache, for example? or when a relative is ill?. I know that If you are facing that kind of situations, you can talk to the teacher and explain it to him/her, but some of them simply don´t care and force you to take it, even though you are not in your prime.

Also, the marks you can get depend on the point of view of the teacher, because sometimes you have to answer what he/she WANTS and not what you have learnt. To make my point clear, I have known cases where you learnt a different way to resolve a problem (a mathematic problem, to be specific)and, despite you have the same result of the teacher, he/she put that answer wrong, only because you don´t use the method he/she has taught you. Besides, Sometimes, teachers are not bias when they are checking the exams. You can find this situations when they are a student´s friend or, in some way, they are related. Do you think a teacher will put a bad mark to his/her own son? or what about his/her niece or godchildren? Or his neighbor?

On the other hand, exams are the only test method I know where teachers have completely control over the students. If teachers give them assignments (homeworks or papers, for example), the odds they will cheat are very high, considering that students have a lot of tools to do that nowadays. (internet for example.

To answer the question, Exams are not a waste of time if teachers apply them fairly.....

krishan
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:12 am
Location: faridabad

Exams not waste of time

Post by krishan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:38 am

I Do't think that the exams are waste of time. We read hole the year. Our parents does not know that how we have Read. Exams shows the students capability of remember. At the end of exams we get result,it shows that our remember power. Exams are the way to proof a student how is he enteligent.[/code][/list]

Kathfap
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Kathfsap say,

Post by Kathfap » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:25 am

I think that the evaluation of some courses is not good :!: In the classroom there are students with more capacity than others. The evaluation is the same for both. I accept that there are students don’t study, but too there are students who are difficult learning. However, I agree that exams are very important for evaluate yours strengths and weaknesses. It is a great help for teachers because identify mistakes and possible solutions. :idea:

User avatar
Bambang
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:26 am
Location: Jakarta Indonesia

Re: Are they?

Post by Bambang » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:24 pm

jrkp wrote: ...To answer the question, Exams are not a waste of time if teachers apply them fairly.....
This time I agree with you my friend. And as an addition, if there is something wrong about the implementation of the exams, then don't blame the exams themselves. In fact, the system or the way of the exams conducted should be improved to get a better one.

nightwish
Silver Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:00 am
Location: Venus

Post by nightwish » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:27 am

Are exams a waste of time?


No, I don't think that exams are waste of time,
In contrast, it's so beneficial. Reading and studying the material that we had learnt make us memorize and understand the material very well.

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Post by Krisi » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:32 am

Definitely not!
Exams are for teachers, students and the parents of course.
An exam is one way of testing students' achievements.
Exams are for the students to assess themselves if they have done well or not.
An exam is a teachers' tool to know the level, and performance of each student. Also for the teachers to know if their (teachers') approach is effective to each of the student.
An exam is a device to inculcate to the students' mind what they have learned.
Exams are used for the parents to know if their children are attending their classes or not. And also an alarm for the parents if their children are learning or not.
I am focusing in schools only, how much more in other fields.
Exams are beneficial to all. How could it be a waste of time?

skorpion
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by skorpion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Are exams a waste of time?

What do YOU think?
I think that really depends on the way exams are made. I believe that the traditional way of evaluating students is counter-productive.

I remember seing a documentary where this school evaluates students just with the purpose of knowing in what areas they are improving and what areas they need help. Once this is done, they make 'em work in teams to help each other, thus helping the teachers with their teaching.

The good thing is that the evaluation is not recorded. The student does not have to worry about any qualifications nor any possibility or having to go over the same school year next year.

So to summarize, well... yeah, I think they're a waste of time. At least in their approach.

User avatar
Alfabeto
Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:58 am
Location: Spain

Post by Alfabeto » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:13 pm

In my view, exams are not a waste of time. I'm a teacher, and unless I had really small classes (like five or six students at a time) I would have no way to judge their progress if we didn't do exams. Exams can be written to be as objective as humanly possible, you just need to know what your goal is.

Anuska
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:11 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Anuska » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:43 am

Yes they are q waste of time, because you are not going to work in all tjis subjects, I think that you just have to coose three subjects but do not do the exams, because when you are going to work you wont need to do exams
:mrgreen:

User avatar
Annaa
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Annaa » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 am

Uhuahuahuehuahuhuhuhuuuahue in my country to take a grade are to ways one is with exams, other is the teacher ask you live in presence of all other students.Exams are a bad way cuz all my class`s friends steal in exams.But when teacher`s ask us in presence of all students u can`t steal from books or notebooks,u can speak only that that u know.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..

User avatar
AzizA
Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by AzizA » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 pm

TalkingPoint wrote:Are exams a waste of time?

Are exams a waste of time?
Sometimes Ifeel so,simply because we rely on learning by heart in most of times!!
2 years later, I'll became a teacher of English;I'll get quite joy whenever I'll use my English^^

User avatar
Koala
Silver Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:13 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Koala » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:17 am

I don't think so. An exam help us check how much we've learned, how much knowledge we've got and how much we haven't. In other hand, if hadn't exams, would we spend time to review our lessons? especially lessons in subjects we don't like. In fact, all subjects are useful this way or that way but we only focus on what we like.

User avatar
denvinbo
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1841
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:46 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Vietnam
Contact:

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by denvinbo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 am

Koala wrote:I don't think so. An exam help us check how much we've learned, how much knowledge we've got and how much we haven't. In other hand, if hadn't exams, would we spend time to review our lessons? especially lessons in subjects we don't like. In fact, all subjects are useful this way or that way but we only focus on what we like.
It's my opinion, too.....And 1 advice, you can focus on your favorite, but never forget the other subjects, you have to average them.... :-)

User avatar
Krisi
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board
Posts: 4133
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:48 am
Status: English Learner

Re:

Post by Krisi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:08 am

Krisi wrote:Definitely not!
Exams are for teachers, students and the parents of course.
An exam is one way of testing students' achievements.
Exams are for the students to assess themselves if they have done well or not.
An exam is a teachers' tool to know the level, and performance of each student. Also for the teachers to know if their (teachers') approach is effective to each of the student.
An exam is a device to inculcate to the students' mind what they have learned.
Exams are used for the parents to know if their children are attending their classes or not. And also an alarm for the parents if their children are learning or not.
I am focusing in schools only, how much more in other fields.
Exams are beneficial to all. How could it be a waste of time?
It is not a waste of time.

User avatar
abnamso
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:58 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by abnamso » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:00 pm

ell, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.

subbrine
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:42 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by subbrine » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't think I should reply this at my exam week (is that even a term in english?)

alrabiay
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 pm
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by alrabiay » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:45 am

I think the problem is not with exams. In fact, the problem is with the professors or teachers who prepare the exams. There are some of those professors or teachers who make difficult questions that do not reflect what he or she presented in class. Some of those instructors, their main objective from an exam is to challenge students and prove that he is a good or smart one in preparing exam questions. The main objective of exams should be to motivate students to read and should be according to the effort that the instructor put in teaching and explaining. However, what I have seen during my study at the university is that good instructors give reasonable questions when testing their students and those who are not good try their best to prepare hard questions.

User avatar
fleance
Silver Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 am
Status: English Learner
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by fleance » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:10 am

Exams are definitely not a waste of time. It is test whether you understand well all the lessons what your professor taught.

User avatar
lesmedia
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by lesmedia » Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 pm

A massive number of exams in a short period of time doesn't allow the student to study any particular subject appropriately or in enough depth. I think continuous assessment is better than having final exams.

User avatar
Bloodred
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:01 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Moscow, Russia
Contact:

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Bloodred » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:38 am

Hi everyone!

I think exams of all kinds are rather useful than a waste of time.
First of all, it's a good way of controlling academic progress of the students, what they achieved, what they can and what they cannot. Anyway, in this respect it makes much more sense when an exam is not just a bunch of tests, but something like a project which does not only represents a student's knowledge, but also his individual attitude. (But standard exams are fine as well if correctly applied :) ).

Besides, exams help teachers and professors recognize weaknesses of their courses and hence improve them.

Finally, exams keep students motivated, because the most of people, especially young ones, prefer doing nothing when having no obligations xD

User avatar
nishida
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by nishida » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:31 am

In my opinion, I disagree that taking exams is a waste of time because taking exams helps us understand more about a specific subject and also make us realize wich part of the study we have to pay more attention.

User avatar
nishida
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by nishida » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 am

I cannot agree with that, because exams is needed to evaluate one's skill or ability.

User avatar
Sposing
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:35 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: 3669 White Lane Macon, GA 31206

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Sposing » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:45 pm

You can't call it a waste of time since it is way for you to finish your study. You can say it a waste of time if you didn't finish your degree.

User avatar
XUZIHAO
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:15 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Jintan,Changzhou,Jiang Su Province,China

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by XUZIHAO » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

I think exams are good for us.In China,exams are really common.It is useful to check the results of students.

User avatar
XUZIHAO
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:15 pm
Status: English Learner
Location: Jintan,Changzhou,Jiang Su Province,China

Re:

Post by XUZIHAO » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Guest wrote::( Are exams the only way to check our skills or motive for study?Can educators invent a better method to achieve that?
I am afraid that it may be the only way to check our skills...... ;-)

Blooms
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am
Status: Other

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Post by Blooms » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:26 am

Some test scores, for example - the TOEIC, are recognised by companies, agencies and universities across the globe - so can be really valuable. You can do exam preperation courses to improve your english and exam skills at the same time {-:

Code: Select all

http://www.bloomsbury-international.com/en/

Post Reply