Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Yan999

Postby Yan999 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 am

whats an exam? its different in different condition. i would like to specify what i think from my experience.
when i was in the university, its really a burden for me to take an exam, there are too many exams and it means too much for a student, especially seems some exams made no sense for someone, but we have to join it and get a high score, in this case, i think its kind of waisting time. but for other case, exam will help us to know more knowledge, such as some majority cause, its important, exam helped one to review what s/he studied and what s/he gained from it.
when i am in work like now, exams is not really the same meaning as the exam we took before, we always learned a lot from book and experienced it in our work, so its some kind of exams already and its more practical... we can gain more money from it, its more interresting and have more fun.
as what i said, i think its wonderful studying in work and serving for work. its a great exam not wasting time in the society-more risky, more fun.

Nabulsi

EXAMS CAN BE A WASTE OF TIME!

Postby Nabulsi » Thu May 12, 2005 6:16 pm

People often say that testing people by way of examination is not the best way to access the candidate's capability.The best candidate is often not the most intelligent candidate.
But what is the next best alternative? In the absence of any, we have to resort to conducting exams.
Aliyu Nabulsi.

leen@rasel
Silver Member

Postby leen@rasel » Mon May 16, 2005 7:20 am

dear friend i partialy disagree with you because if there were no exams we could't be able to see how much good we are in a certain subject , therefore , how much effort do we need to improve our selves, yet sometimes they are waste of time if some teachers but not all of them are fair in their correcting :cry:

authorityquery
Silver Member

Postby authorityquery » Mon May 16, 2005 4:32 pm

I don't agree with you totally. Because if you don't have any exam, how you can check knowledge and you don't have anything to base on to estimate personal abilities??
And for student , exam's coming means it'll encourage students study hard to get a good mark, so that's a good chance for everybody have to review everything they learn, human instinct 's lazy.
However, in the other hands, government should reduce some exams are uneccessary, and don't make students become stress by pressure.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

Etore
Silver Member

Postby Etore » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.
Etore

GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby GiddyGad » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:50 pm

Etore wrote:Exams are very important to check the level of the students and provide information to teachers if their method is accurated.

Are you talking about tests, control, or exams.
Tests are inevitable - one needs a stimulus to move on.
Control can be indirect and, actually, a good teacher controls students indirectly so they didn't even suspect they are being controlled.
Exams are for those who decides whether you are appropriate or not - it's the easiest way to wash brains and in this way exams are harmful. Taking into account that they don't prove anything. If a student wants to further his education , say, in America (s)he will have not only to get a TOEFL or Cambridge certificate, (s)he'll have to show an appropriate language command no exams but an interview can show.
Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:26 am

GiddyGad wrote: Exams only show who will feed on who, who is better and who is worse - it's a system of segregation imposed by societies of "equal possibilities". We are different and you can't equalize what is different by nature.

Exams are EVIL.

Smiles,
GiddyGad

No way! Without examinations people go to classes just for getting new information, which they will probably forget it the next day or soon. However, if there are examinations, people have to review their lectures over and over and try to understand them real well, so they will ace their tests. Although tests do show who is better than whom, but this is life-- each individual has his or her own ability to ace the tests. Only idiots or 99% of the case of people who don't review or study for their lectures will get F's.
And what's up with equal possibilities? Are we supposed to?

reddylee

I don't agree with that.

Postby reddylee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:10 am

I don't agree with that.

bolina1984

Re: Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Postby bolina1984 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:32 am

TP wrote:Are Exams a Waste of Time?

Sometimes.
The only function of exams is to check how well you learned. But you cannot put the theory into practices by taking exams. That's a waste of time.
Aother point is that exams spur you to pay more attention to your studies. To some extent, that's a good thing.
Always remember the saying that "every coin has two sides".
I am No.1

Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:50 am

For some students exams work like goal setting. They need to have the exams to establish that the work they are doing is on target; or requires more attention.

There are definate benefits from exams for students and teachers. It gives teachers the opportunity to see where students may need more assistance etc....

someone_cute
Silver Member

Postby someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:33 pm

As they have said ...
Exams are very important for us to show our abilities to understand the lessons and to know the clever students from the lazies and give them their marks with out cheating from teachers .. it happened by the way by some teachers ( giving students marks or steal marks from them ) although if the student doesn't deserve that ..
but sometimes I think exams are wasting for time specially when they depend on memorizing .. and we should only have monthly exams at least which means there is no mid term exams or final ..
Teachers also have 2 be merciful because we are suffering from the stress at school :cry:
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 am

Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.

Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 pm

LennyeTran wrote:Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.

:?

MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:32 pm

shazzam1452 wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:Well, people who think exams are not necessary are not any smarter or more stupid than people who think exams are necessary when they're given to take one.

:?

It means they don't know all the materials if they don't study. Just because they think examinations are not necessary, it does not mean they'll know everything and they'll ace the tests. I believe a person only thinks exams are not necessary to be taken when s/he could proudly say that s/he has aced every single test that is given out. At that point, exams are truly not needed for them. Otherwise, exams are a good way to review your materials that you've learned. Right?

DacHuy

Postby DacHuy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:42 pm

Examinations are important for me. They help me practice some skill, such as preparing, Writing, reporting, so that.
But they make me sotired and waste much time.

CityYoung
Gold Member

Postby CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:14 pm

No exams are very important ,beacuse we check our levels and skills to know if we improve or not .

DocAndy

Postby DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:35 pm

I hate exams!
An exam says nothing what you really can. Thats my oppinion.

In Austria we have notes from 1(best) - 5(worst). My last test was a 4. :evil:

You can make the same test 2 times (with different examples). You will get probably different notes.

trinity19
Silver Member

Postby trinity19 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:38 pm

i can only say one thing: i learn much more preparing courseworks and reading books than studing for exams. i'm not saying we shouldn't do any exams because there are some things that teachers must be sure we've learnt and the best way of doing it is testing us without the possibility of having copied or anything, but exams shouldn't be the most important thing. sometimes the whole course is tested with an only exam, in my opinion this is very unfair.

SleepyTear

Postby SleepyTear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:26 am

In China
What is most important to a student?
:arrow: EXAMS :arrow: MARKS :arrow: MONEY
Though you do perfectly in your homework or other fields,it is the performance of exams that determines whether you're intelligent or not :?: :idea: Silly... And maybe, in some sense, it determines your future status in society :idea: I find this detestful...as you know the Education System of China,which I think produces Learned Idiots :evil:

Personally, I consider that exams are a waste of talents :idea:

pruthvy

Re: Are exams a waste of time?

Postby pruthvy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:56 pm

TP wrote:Are exams a waste of time?
i dont think so.exam prooves ones caliber

KcMurray

Postby KcMurray » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:07 pm

well...exams are definitely not a waste of time becoz the result tells us how much effort we hav put in for the year.....and its important for students to realise that whether they hav paid attentions in class or just wondered around for the whole year...

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”