Who is responsible for motivating students?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

george T

motivation

Postby george T » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:27 pm

Once a teacher told me that learning English was 90% students' motivation. That's what I tell my students to keep in mind now.

phrd@camnet,com.kh

Re: Motivation to learn

Postby phrd@camnet,com.kh » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:21 am

Mobeen Shah wrote:We as teachers of English Language are receiving students who are willing to learn English. First its our responsibility to create interest of these students to enter the language learning class, and then, generate the enthusiasm in them to continue staying in it till they have achieved what they came for.

Its like acquiring something (Student) because we (teachers) are there and then the responsibility to nurture because we have the tricks of trade-the motivation. Futher, to enhance my point of view, I would still quote the example of perenting, once you have children you have the responsibility of bringing up the best of children. You show and display the way of good parents and the children follow- if they do not know the charms of being good children they will be drifted away.

So the students have already taken the decision to learn the language.we as teachers have the rest of the responsibility to hold them till they have achieved enough to stick to it.
:lol:

GiddyGad

Postby GiddyGad » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:21 am

It sure is the responsibility of a teacher to teach a student to take the responsibility for what he does to master a language. Here comes a natural question "How?"... There are ways... :roll:

Maryam

Postby Maryam » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:53 am

Both of them r responsibles.But if there is a will the student will learn even the teacher is not good.

GiddyGad

Postby GiddyGad » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm

A language can't be learnt without a teacher.
Firstly, someone should push the student ahead (and the pushing must be finely measured, which a comp being a digital, not analogous, system can't do).
Secondly, a teacher mirrors the work of a student. A good teacher knows HOW to mirror student's actions in order to show him the right way to do the right job. A student must be a very good teacher to know at least some of the subwater obstacles on that way.
Last edited by GiddyGad on Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maryam

Postby Maryam » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:16 pm

Hi

Thte teacher could be a book,film,song ,CD,English sites and adictionary.
so learning English depends on the students nowadays morthan teachers.

GiddyGad

Postby GiddyGad » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:47 pm

Fare thee well then.

mehran

Postby mehran » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:09 am

i think this is a task which is more related to the teachers.because as you know some students are obliged to go to school(by their parents or situation).
i'm a college student at TMU, tehran.l'd like to communicate with any everybody interested in english, sports, culture, politics,...

Ayda

Postby Ayda » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:38 pm

HI all,
I believe that the first step is from the student. Because if the student is interested in learning the language he/she will find other way to do it if the teacher is not a motivate one. However, I also believe that teacher has a great role to motivate their student to learn more. Because sometimes you become disappointed, but if you got a motivated teacher he/ she will encourage you and will help you go on.
Regards,
A . A

coolguy

Postby coolguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:09 pm

As a human beings, every student has the desire to learn something .However, sometimes unproper teaching methods kill this desire.Teachers are responsible for movitating students' intrests. It makes a successful teacher.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:48 am

As a teacher, he/she should motivate his/her students to study well. It doesn't have to be English. Learning is gaining one's knowledge, so it's good to learn. He/she should help the students to understand that point; however, I don't think the teachers are responsible for their students's failure if they've already tried their best to help the students. Some students are not willing to learn. It's their business to choose that way. We can't blame everything on the teachers

Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Is the teacher responsible for motivating students to study? Or is it each student's own responsibility to be interested in learning?

I think teacher should be responsible for motivating students to study.Students themselves decide their own result,however.No one could help them except themselves.Students are the center of teaching activity,in which the teacher is just a guider.In my country,there are so many students in a class so the teacher could not control all students in the class.A good teacher will help students find the best way of learning.

_Arale_

Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Pirate » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 pm

The teacher. But if the teacher doesn't care, the student suffers!

Rodrigo Klassen

Postby Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:30 am

i think it depends on the teachers and the students in different forms. teachers just can't make their classes boring, without a real meaning or intention but students must be ready to learn always...
there's no space here to write everything i wanted

GiddyGad
Gold Member

Postby GiddyGad » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:48 pm

There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?

The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:27 pm

GiddyGad wrote:There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?

It's similiar to "I paid for the course so you must let me pass." :roll:

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 pm

GiddyGad wrote: The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.

So wise and so true. 8) <---- this is for you.

authorityquery
Silver Member

Postby authorityquery » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm

I think each student should be responsible for studying, We know we learn for ourslves, so why another person have to be responsible for our study. It's a bad way.
But The teacher is the person who has to show the student how to study or research, teacher's task just makes student feel interested in the subject.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted

Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Motivating students:

Postby Shazzam » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 am

I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.

Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.

Re: Motivating students:

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:10 pm

shazzam1452 wrote:I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.

Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.

Oh not only old students. Younger students have that feeling, too. They think all they have to do is pay the course and they'll pass it. Some people still think knowledge can be bought. What a joke! :roll:

Return to “Talking Point Discussion”