Should museums & art galleries return works of art?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Should museums & art galleries return works of art?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Should museums and art galleries return works of art to their country of origin?

English Checker
museum: a building where objects of historical, cultural, scientific or artistic value are exhibited
art gallery: a room or building where works of art are displayed
work of art: a creative product such as a painting or statue
country of origin: the country where something originated, where something came from
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
gulf girl

Post by gulf girl »

Dear Talking Point
Maybe I'm too late to reply to you, but I had just rigestered yesterday !!
By the way
Your talking point seems to be very effective to talk about

Personally, I feel that these museums keep works of art in save !! But if there are any such places in the related country, they should send related works of art to them !
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.
baker

Post by baker »

It depends. If there is possibility that the art would be sold to for example private collectors, instead of being publicly displayed in museums, or that it would be completely destroyed for political or religous reasons then it shouldn't be returned. If there are no such reasons then people should be able to view their own country's art, so that they can understand their roots better and learn to respect their own culture.
coolguy

Post by coolguy »

I think it depends on the situation where the arts' original country are.If the country is in a good condition and she has the ability to perserve the arts ,the arts should be returned to his motherland.
ddai130

Post by ddai130 »

It may not be should , but why not since most of person want them to be . They had drift for a long time . Now they get tired . Time to back home where they really belong to !

Post by Guest »

People do donate their collections to museums and art galleries. Thus, if they have legal rights to own the pieces, then those don't need to be returned. If they don't, then those should be.
Woolmer

Re: Should museums & art galleries return works of art?

Post by Woolmer »

In my view, the decision should be made with the help of video footage such as slow-motion replays?
kaleem
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

if you don't own them, why do you keep them? I think it's better to just borrow them and return them back to avoid any arguments.. if it's not yours you won't win anyway.
esl member since 2007
Meticulous

Post by Meticulous »

What is the cause of that question? I think work of art must be available for all people who want see it. It is from my view. There was always some disputes between countries on the matter of ownership of art work. Result of it differs.
MajaPu

Post by MajaPu »

So, yes, I think that museums and art galleries should return works of art to the country of origin. It's a really big attraction to this country and way to encourage people to visit him.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Krisi wrote:if you don't own them, why do you keep them? I think it's better to just borrow them and return them back to avoid any arguments.. if it's not yours you won't win anyway.
if the owner countries sold it then they don't own it anymore...