The tourist industry does more harm than good.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Everything has its positive and negative sites and the tourist industry does the same .However , I mean it has more advantages than disadvatages .Tourism is one of the leading industries nowadays .And travelling seems to be the most favourable hobby now .
The tourist industry is a good way to develope more intercultural communication among many ethnics in the same country or between different countries .Intercultural communication helps all cultures in the world closer to each other .Each one could intergrate into the global culture to remain and go on .
The tourist industry also promotes other industries develope such as airline , food production ...
The most important advatage , I think , is that it is a
NON-SMOKE industry .

_Arale_

Re: The tourist industry does more harm than good.

Post by Guest »

Talking Point wrote:The tourist industry does more harm than good.
In what way though? I can only see it's more good than harmful. What's a specific area of harm are we talking here?
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Tourist industry itself has harm too . I can give you a typical example. Everyone surely still remember 11/9 event. In that two -fated -planes, terroists disguised as normal toourists to terror, it is the best way for terrorists if the tourist industry doesn't check carefully.

_Arale_
viveo

Post by viveo »

Tourist is a big industry that can provide many jobs and increase income for the country. If you are good in investment you can have big profit form tourist business. But it require many conditions such as climate, geography, infrastructure.While climate and geography depent on natural , Infrastructure relys on human being. Clearly to gain the profit you must be creative, wise, determinate and have management skill to solve the hardest thing such as polluted environment. It is very good if we do tourist and don't care about environment. Obviously if you gain this thing you must sacrifice another thing but it is worth or not depends on your brain.
What is love ?
luckygirl9

Post by luckygirl9 »

viveo wrote:Tourist is a big industry that can provide many jobs and increase income for the country. If you are good in investment you can have big profit form tourist business.
Yeah,I completely agree with this view.In addtion,I should point out that when you are investing a new sight seeing,you should first think about the environment.Don't pollute it!As some examples in our country,please don't treat it as skeletons in the cuboard,it is a fact that some of our famous have been over developed,such as to have built too many hotels near the mountains,dig artificial streams and so on.That sorts of work may destroy the ambience of the whole sight which will hardly be recovered.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Don't pollute it

Indeed. Polluted environment is really a pressing problem nowadays.Tourrism is one of main reasons that cause pollution.Each country should tightly control tourists to ensure they don't cause pollution in that country.

_Arale_
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

Arale wrote:Everything has its positive and negative sites and the tourist industry does the same .However , I mean it has more advantages than disadvatages .Tourism is one of the leading industries nowadays .And travelling seems to be the most favourable hobby now .
The tourist industry is a good way to develope more intercultural communication among many ethnics in the same country or between different countries .Intercultural communication helps all cultures in the world closer to each other .Each one could intergrate into the global culture to remain and go on .
The tourist industry also promotes other industries develope such as airline , food production ...
The most important advatage , I think , is that it is a
NON-SMOKE industry .

_Arale_

i agree, and it creates jobs....
ducdnu

Post by ducdnu »

Tourist is a big industry that have advantages and disadvantages. But in my opinion, The tourist industry does more harm than good for two reasons. First, many people in the world has smoking. They travel to another contry and they keep smoking despite it is harmful to public health. Second, nowadays, there are many serious diseases in the world. For example,AIDS, Malaria,flu pandemic h1n1... that we caught it from traveller
buituyetmai

Post by buituyetmai »

The tourism industry has advantages and disadvantages, but it does more harm than good.Firstly, the quick developing speed of this field can cause the environmental destruction. Tourists cause environmental damage through forest fires, destruction of the natural lanscape and pollution. They want to build hotels, restaurants for their business, create resorts and super markets.Therefore, the natural environment would be threaten.Secondly, too much tourism can kill the culture. Visistors are from many countries and bring their culture as film,food,fashion,… They bring the bad influence to the community which is not conformity with the local custom .These things can be worse off traditional culture . Finally, the tourism industry is an extremely profitable process in loads of countries, especially those in which the process of development continue to depend on this industry because this industry does not require a lot of literacy and also it yields maximum profits with less investment. In short, everything has two faces and the tourism industry is not except so it need make good.
darksector

Post by darksector »

The tourist industry is one of the necessary fields in our life. It has many good effects, but it also has some negative effects. Firstly, sometime it is dangerous especially when traveling by plane or train. Accident will lead to death of many people and effect to economy. Another bad effect is that it causes lots of fossil fuel while fossil fuel is less day by day. And until now we haven’t found other source energy to completely replace fossil fuel. Last but not least, the tourist industry makes environment polluted more quickly. The more people travel, the more vehicles use. This will release polluted air to the environment and cause some bad effects to the ozone layer. In short, the tourist industry is more harmful than people think.
Congluan TA03-01
loanta

Post by loanta »

Nowaday, tourism is becoming one of the most viable business markets in the world. So, the tourist industry has both negative and positive but i think it brings more advantages than disadvantages. For example, the tourist industry encompasses many different areas, so it also creates jobs in many different areas. With tourism comes hotel, restaurants, tour companies, service station, souvenier shops, sports equipment rental, and much more. All of this creates many different levels of employment for people. Futhermore, it creates employment, brings about economic growth and development and earns a significant amount of foreign dollar for the economy.
Besides, air travel, car travel, and other aspects of tourism are adding to the planet's pollution and this is becoming a impotant problem ..etc.. Sometimes foreigners act with no respects to national traditions; ex: the behavior of European women in Eastern countries, They bring the bad influence to the community which is not conformity with the local custom.
Everything always has two sides: good and bad point and tourism does the same. To my way of thinking tourism...
Vu Thi Phuong Loan TA03-01.dnu
loanta

Post by loanta »

The tourist industry plays an important role in developing each country’s economic. However, it has produced harm for our life. Firstly, our environment is being polluted. The visitors always move by means of transport, such as car, train, ship, aero plane, etc. Exhaust fumes from vehicles cause a great deal of damage to the environment. Secondly, price of many products is increased. Sometimes, the growth of the quantity of visitors makes consumerism jump. For example, the visitors spend their money for their tour. Some people think they deserve doing anything they want. They consume too many products, such as electricity, foods, drinks, etc. They waste too much energy, materials. When one of products is suddenly lacked, it is sure that the price of that product will go up. Thirdly, there are many advantages for people to do bad actions. For instance, some people have a chance to immigrate illegal due to traveling. They, even, disrupt the safety of society of the city like burglary, theft, robbery, murder. Finally, the tourist industry always has the danger potentially.
H.Lien 0301 ( tài khoản em đang bị phê duyệt, nên em phải vào bằng nick người khác)
Iloveyoubaby

Post by Iloveyoubaby »

Nowadays, international tourism is the biggest industray in the world. In my opinion, the tourist industry has both advantages and disadvantages, but it does more good than harm. Firstly, the most obvious advantages is tourism is becoming a good source of revenue to many countries. Many people travel a lot yearly, so there are many benefits they bring to the area they travel. It is a huge amounts of money which contributes to the economic growth of an area.Another advantage ís giving the citizen of the area the chance to escape a poverty and has a higher living standard. And they have a chance to exchange culture. Tourism can creates understanding between people from different culture. In conclusion, I would say that I disagree with the argument The tourist industry does more harm than good. I love travel and I think the intourist industry does good.
Phan Thị Bích Liên :oops:
Iloveyoubaby

Post by Iloveyoubaby »

Some people think the tourist industry does more than harm than good. While other don’t think so. In my opinion, tourist industry both advantages and disadvantages. Beside have many good effects, tourist also some harmful. Firstly, the effects of tourism on the environment. For example, environment can be polluted air, water, etc. tourism gives change climate. The Earth warm may be is one of main reasons that cause of tourism. Last but not least, tourism cans also effects on the economic. Shops and houses prices will increase. Prices are shooting up everywhere makes people don’t live better. In conclusion, tourism industries have both good and bad effect. So, people need method sensible overcome obstacles and difficulties. I hope that the tourism of Vietnam wills sustainable development.
Bùi Lam
imadoki

Post by imadoki »

The tourist industry has both good effect and bad effect on our life. It is hardly to say that tourist industry does more harm than good and vice verse. But in my opinion, it has more good effect than bad effect . Firstly , it brings more work for unemployed. When tourist develop, more and more travel services created such as hotel, resort, seashore, etc. People can find job in these place. In addition, many people have change to increases individual income thanks to those services. Their life will be better. Secondly, tourist industry makes more money for its nation. Developing this field increases national income, attract foreign investment and encourage domestic investment. As a result, economic will grow rapidly people will be better. Besides, tourist is also an effective method to broadcast image of its country to all over the world. It is the best way to makes people realise that how their country beautiful.
Anyway, the tourist industry does more good than harm.This is all things I thought.
nguyenngocnga

Post by nguyenngocnga »

in some ways, the tourist industry is good for the country but in some ways, it has much harm that we seldom mention.
First of all, tourism affects our environment. We need to use many kind of transpotation to move such as: airplane, bus, car, motorbike, train, ship...
These means use fuel to run and ther eliminate toxic gases which make air pollution and are not doog for our healths.
Second, tourism cause social evils. Nowadays, tourist industry more and more develop so a lot of people like traveling in everywhere.
Therefore, hotels or bars or karaokes are build to satisfy the demand. And some bad people can exploit these to do bad things such as: trading in drugs, storing prostitute, glambling...
Besides, the shops and inns which are in close proximity to one another vied with each other to attract the tourists.
So, it can not avoid controversy or conflicting or fighting.
In short, everything has good points and bad points but if we know how to do, we can evade some bad effects and tourist industry is not an excepion.

Nguyen Ngoc Nga TA 03-01
nguyenngocnga

Post by nguyenngocnga »

**** Tourism is a booming industry. With many travellers flocking to different destinations around the globe, tourism is becoming one of the most viable business markets in the world. However, air travel, car travel and other aspects of tourism are adding to the planet’s pollution crisis and this is becoming a problem. Travel operators and hospitality corporates realised that some action needed to be taken, and Eco-tourism was created as a solution to this problem.
**** That tourism is a major source of income into the countries.
It has turned many countries which were in poverty into countries that are free of poverty.
You learn about different cultures, language and currency.
It raises profile for the area.
Sustainable tourism could include reserves for forest building which would bring increased numbers of wildlife and animals to the country.
If a destination becomes a popular tourist hotspot and you live there, your price of your house will increase.
Sign: SEA H-A-I
imadoki

Post by imadoki »

In my opinion I agree about this statement “The tourist industry does more harm than good”
Firstly although the tourism industry has many advantages but it had many disadvantages. It is the cause of environmental pollution. It does not only affect air pollution, water pollution but it also damages ecological system in which plants and animals moreover, it also affect to our health. Garbages from tourist industry are cause lead to many diseases such as cancel or lung disease
Secondly tourist industry develop very fast Many hotels are built confusied lead to loose the beauty of countries.
So, I hope that in the near future, tourist industry will have solution for enviromental pollution to protect our health. This is nescessary for all of us

Nguyen Thi Huyen Trang - Ta0301
nguyenngocnga

Post by nguyenngocnga »

The tourist industry is a booming industry helping people make a lot of money.However , the tourist industry does more harm than good. First of all, the tourist business exerts its influence on environment. The environment will be polluted by refuses thrown to the ground. It is an irresponsible act which is not easy to avoid because the backpacking tour is not as the same as available comforts at home. Moreover, the tourist industry affects natural landscape. Nowadays, a fast-growing economy is a main factor for people to go on a tour.Travelling many times makes scenery deteriorate. The landscape,which loses natural beauty quickly ,is worn out.In short, the tourist industry has unintenational disadvantages. The tourist industry,which is harmful or good, belongs to people 's aware protecting the landscape.To protect public property is people 's duty ! ^^
nguyenngocnga

Post by nguyenngocnga »

luu thuy hang day nhe' co nhe' ^^
buiquanghuy

Post by buiquanghuy »

I agree to the statement above. For one thing, the cases of robbing are increasing rapidly. When the tourist seasons is at their peak, this is the best time for pickpockets to do their jobs. They take advantage of the time when people take part in leisure activities. Then they pretend to jostle for something and rob others of their possessions. For another, tourism costs people more than they might think. Each travel agent offers their own packages to certain groups of people according to their being affordable. In fact, when travelling there are a lot of things grabbing their attentions that paying out an amount of money is required. Last but not least, bad effects on environment are unavoidable. When tourists, especially disorganized ones, come to tourist sites, they tend to litter landscapes or anywhere convenient. It simply shows that they do not care about the places they have visited and sometimes, people living their do the same, too. In short, The tourist industry does more harm than good.

Bui Quang Huy
Ta 03-01
jimcody

Post by jimcody »

I totally disagree with that. In my whole experience in teaching English to tourists, they've never become a burden to me. Tourism in the country just gets more bigger and bigger and it does help the economy of the country. I am an English teacher and at the same time I travel around the world.
irenapol

Post by irenapol »

Well, we can find many arguments for and against tourism. But in my opinion, the main point is that tourists bring money to the economy of their destination country, which helps the local people to improve their standards of living. Or even to survive. In many countries, where unemployment rate is really high, tourism is the only sourse on income. Let's take Crimea, for example. I know that many people there rely on tourist season to earn enough money for the whole year to come, they put every posiible room for rent, often moving out of their house themselves. I am afraid, this year many people lost such a possibility, which made it impossible for them to earn anything. Unfortunately, Mr Putin doesn't care.
alicjapie

Post by alicjapie »

According to me, tourism brings more good than harm. Well, this is a huge gain money, promotion of the city or state and the general development of the industry. On tourism are gaining not only people, travel agencies, but also the entire economy of the state.
mcIlob

Post by mcIlob »

There are arguments for and against... But in my point of view tourism does more harm. I know that it's good way to earn some money, but sometimes we should think about environment. People don't care about place where they are and thereupon these places are more polluted. Moreover people are destroying some areas to build many hotel complexs... It caused that in touristic places in the world there are to many people, lots of noise and rubbish etc.
dariakur

Post by dariakur »

I agree with this sentence, that tourist industry cause more harm than good. People have to deforestation to built next factory or hotel. Tourist produce pullutions, and generally rubbish everywhere. No one is responsible for that, so our environment going to destroy, and nobody can stop it. In addition tourist industry is too much, and people still built new place for that without sense and it always brings a lot of noise for everyone, so it cant be relax for tourists only stressed.
lesoli

Post by lesoli »

Ithink that there are a lot of advantages and disadvantages. Thanks tourists people can earn some money and the economy is developing. Moreover country is promoted abroad. But on the other hand natural landscapes are being destroyed. Tourists are also pollutting environment.
Milllkaaaa

Post by Milllkaaaa »

,,The tourist industry does more harm than good."

it is true.
More and more people travel. It couses more and more new roads, bulidings, shops, hotels etc.
It is reason less and less forest area or free places ( without different facilities ). People move around by cars, plants, trains, which make polution. Our curiosity is very big. We want visit a lot of places for example mountais, forest and everywhere we leave rubbish. It is dangerous for environement.
jamsmith

Post by jamsmith »

As far as i Concerned It has more disadvantages, it has some advantages in terms of entertainment only. People now a days are very fond of traveling to avoid their anxiety and people are coming from outside to have a look on particular's culture and then make movies and all for the entertainment purpose.But disadvantages are rather more and having terrible impact for e.g Tourism causes environmental destruction, forest are getting fired to establish hotel and resort there for tourism purpose, natural landscape are being polluted for the sake of people's entertainment
lenagraham

Post by lenagraham »

Tourism is one of the most powerful tools we have for convincing governments to save nature. For example, if tourists did not travel to see wildlife in Botswana’s celebrated Okavango Delta - home to some of the largest remaining elephant herds – the Delta’s vast grasslands would have long ago been converted to cattle ranches. The same with Brazil’s Pantanal, the largest freshwater wetland on Earth – nearly half of it is protected today by ecotourism lodges and camps. The list goes on. Flying contributes about 4% of global carbon emissions – bad enough - compared with deforestation, which accounts for almost 20 percent of harmful C02, more than all forms of transportation combined. The issue is not to stop traveling, but how to get it right (which will also help prevent deforestation). And that is where sustainable tourism principles come in, defined by three key pillars: environmentally-friendly practices; support for the protection of cultural and natural heritage; and direct and tangible benefits to local people. The question is no longer does sustainable tourism work – hundreds of well documented case studies have revealed it does. Rather, the real question is how far can we take it to truly transform the travel and tourism industry for the better.
a freelance essay typer working on her English
hellofriend

Post by hellofriend »

Recently, there is heated discussion about wether tourist industry is harm or good. In my opinion, i think tourist industry has more benifit than disadvantages. Firstly, tourist industry coould help a city to urge their economy in a positive way, for instanc, Brizil held the world cup in 2014 and the Olympic Game is 2016, so they need to build more public transportation systems and basic facilities for tourists. And by doing this, more and more industries could effect by the highly developed transportation system. It's like a chian reaction. Secondly, tourists industry help people from other countries to know and experience the culture better. If a get a trailer of China and put it on Youtube, people may intersted in travelling to China.
brendi

Post by brendi »

I don't know if my motorbike does good for the ecology. I have been riding it for five years and I planning to sell or rent it online to somebody. I have posted a free ad via this link and I hope to be getting offers very soon. Then I'll buy myself a Tesla car and do the Earth good.
Marjorie

Post by Marjorie »

You said, you wanted to do the earth good by not riding your bike? How can you really do the earth good when it is still on the road and being ridden by others? That doesn’t make sense, isn’t it? 😀
AndreaThais

Post by AndreaThais »

I think everyone has different opinion. The tourist industry wants to move the economy, bring some special offers to the people who wants to travel every year. Its not to bad if you have money, sometimes you can get a cheap tickets. I like to do tourism with my family. Is important to have memories and also we have fun. Sometimes people needs to disconnect of work and do something different. Look your point and if you think is good, try it! The tourism industry does not to bad at all. {-:

Thais A. Santos
August 26, 2021.
HammondBears

Post by HammondBears »

I think it all depends. Some tourism, like ecotourism does a lot of good. It exposes tourists to different parts of the world, raises awareness of ecological problems, and helps underdeveloped countries. However some tourism hurts the environment and the countries where the tourism is taking place. An example is when big hotels overdevelop pristine beaches. Tourism can also bring crime.
AlexandraMalina

Post by AlexandraMalina »

The way the tourist industry is conducted generally does more harm than good to nature.
Often the tourist industry is profit oriented, thus either demolishing nature or at least not preserving it. One example for this are the ski resorts in Switzerland/Austria/Bulgaria, destroying the flora and fauna in the region to create huge ski lanes and ski lifts. After destroying the natural landscape, the region is more prone to avalanches. Additionally the natural region around the mountains is destroyed by building huge hotels and infrastructure.
LearningToLearn

Post by LearningToLearn »

Sometimes tourist industry does harm while sometimes it does good. The impact depends on both - the mentality of the tourists and the economy of the country offering tourism. Sometimes, tourism is the sole means of bread and butter for the country’s economy and a dip in the tourism affects it badly. A recent example can be how Covid-19 pandemic affected tourism dependent countries like Maldives. On the other hand, sometimes tourism can cause harm too. An example of this can be when the tourists vandalize the visiting country and do not respect its culture.
Personally, I believe that as long as tourists are respectful to their hosts, they have a lot to learn - be it new culture, traditions, way of living or maybe even way of cooking food. There is always a lot to learn from each other!
Mingzuo

Post by Mingzuo »

It is not always true. To know whether tourism is beneficial or not, we should evaluate the relative size of its social benefits and costs, which varies from case to case. Tourism can be a gift to people living in remote and impoverished areas. A notable case is China's Yellow Mountain, where residents at the mountain foot lived subsistence farming lives before developers arrived. However, with the development of tourism in this area, residents can earn tens of times more income than before by hosting tourists. However, tourism can also be a burden to a region. For example, when the property rights are not clear, tourism resources can be over-exploited, causing irreversible impacts on the ecology.
Jaekyoung

Post by Jaekyoung »

I don’t think so. I think the tourist industry has lots of good things.
Firstly, through development, people can easily go anywhere. And people who live in different countries can get a chance of experiencing other cultures. Understanding each culture is very important theses days.
Secondly, tourist industry contributes to local society benefits and convenience. For example, there are famous sunrise spot in my city. Through development, more and more people can visit.
AlexandraMalina

Post by AlexandraMalina »

loanta wrote: Sun May 29, 2011 3:24 am Nowaday, tourism is becoming one of the most viable business markets in the world. So, the tourist industry has both negative and positive but i think it brings more advantages than disadvantages. For example, the tourist industry encompasses many different areas, so it also creates jobs in many different areas. With tourism comes hotel, restaurants, tour companies, service station, souvenier shops, sports equipment rental, and much more. All of this creates many different levels of employment for people. Futhermore, it creates employment, brings about economic growth and development and earns a significant amount of foreign dollar for the economy.
Vu Thi Phuong Loan TA03-01.dnu
I disagree with you regarding your economic growth. These arguments were brought up in some smaller countries like Bulgaria. However, instead of a overall growth there were just a hand few people profiting from developing tourism and smaller enterprise owner failed after a few years. These had different reasons for example less experience than bigger company owners or smaller profit margins because of smaller size. Additionally other industries were abandonment resulting in a almost 100% percent need of imports, thus higher overall prizes and a worse economic situation than before.
LearningToLearn

Post by LearningToLearn »

AlexandraMalina wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:36 pm The way the tourist industry is conducted generally does more harm than good to nature.
Often the tourist industry is profit oriented, thus either demolishing nature or at least not preserving it. One example for this are the ski resorts in Switzerland/Austria/Bulgaria, destroying the flora and fauna in the region to create huge ski lanes and ski lifts. After destroying the natural landscape, the region is more prone to avalanches. Additionally the natural region around the mountains is destroyed by building huge hotels and infrastructure.
That is a good point. However, usually countries have strict environment laws to make sure such destruction does not occur. I'm wondering if the tourism industry in the countries you mentioned somehow circumvented such laws?
DaviBrons

Post by DaviBrons »

A very controversial statement. From an ecological point of view - tourism (and even eco-tourism) can cause damage to the environment with the risk of erosion, pollution, loss of natural habitat for animals and forest fires. Even if the majority of tourists behave responsibly, a certain number of them will behave in the opposite way.
But on the social side, everything is different. There are many cities in the world that live solely on tourism. Yes, dirty beaches, garbage in forests and reservoirs are really bad, but with the right approach, this can be dealt with. But in tourist cities, with the disappearance of tourists (due to Covid 19, we can observe such a picture), many people found themselves in a very difficult situation. Many businesses and establishments were forced to close. People were losing everything they had earned over the years. And this is not to mention the enormous losses suffered by travel companies and airlines.
So whether we like it or not, without tourism, many countries (especially coastal areas) simply cannot survive.
Sujata

Post by Sujata »

Informative Thread! Thanks for sharing it!
Murazik
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Murazik »

Travelling is useful for general outlook, but I also do not deny that transport and a huge number of people harm the nature. but everything has its pros and cons and it should be understood.
As far as I was concerned Can't wait to see whatever movie they're filming in London right now.