Tsunami and tourism

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Tsunami and tourism

Post by TalkingPoint »

Should tourists be going ahead with their holidays now in the countries which are still suffering the effects of the recent tsunami?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

No. The whole world is chipping in their hearts and souls and money to help those poor victims. Tourists can take vacation any time or another time, but for this time of the year, they should be more considerated and warm-hearted.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Certainly not. Tourists are too scared to go on their holiday. Otherwise, the weather is still unstable so who knows what happens next? The air in the places suffered from tsunamis are polluted because of deaths too. It is surely not good for health.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
olgacanlas

It's up to you...

Post by olgacanlas »

Many of the families in the devastated areas rely on tourism to feed their livelihoods. Places like the Maldives only have tourism to rely on.

I was in phuket when the tsunami occured. I am fortunate to be alive and to be able to tell you that the local Thai people are hospitable, resilient and strong, even in the midst of this disaster. They know that they must pick up whatever pieces they have left and carry on.[/b]
shezgillani

tourists should visit the tsunami affected areas

Post by shezgillani »

In my opinion tourists should definitely visit tsunami affected areas. For how long are we going to prevent the victims from facing a normal life? They donot need our sympathy but empathy. They want to see their lives same as it was before the disaster. The continuation of tourists activities will not only help the people boost their economic growth but will also enable them to realize that life is still going the same way and they have to keep moving with it. They have to pass the stages of grieving as soon as possible and have to work for their rehabilitation with new hopes.
shez:)
viveo

Post by viveo »

absolutely not, if you are tourists, will you go there?
What is love ?
storm_silent

Post by storm_silent »

i think many are scared to go there and spend holidays ,, where the weather is still not confirmed to be stable ,,,

but i think they sould go there and try to have a normal life and give people there thier life back ,,,

[font=verdana]
Privilege of life is being who you are !!!
[/font]
Honey

Post by Honey »

Hi! :wink:

In fact, tourism has not been affected at all after the Tsumani: people think it's still time to help in the recovery of these places. I was amazed when, watching the news, I could see how tourists hepled in the construction of hew buildings, as well as temporal schools, etc.

However, it's not the same as before. Rather than a touristic trip, they do it to help people. It will take at least some months or even a couple of years to find these places as a touristic zone. :)
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Post by Guest »

Honey wrote:It will take at least some months or even a couple of years to find these places as a touristic zone. :)
It's one dangerous thing though. We always say, "don't mess with nature." After the Tsunami, the place is back to its wild, natural, beautiful scene than it was before the Tsunami. We, humans, had done an awful job to change a wild amazing sight to a touristic zone. That's the reason why I think Mother Nature's taken back whatever is her. We should leave the sight like that and try to think of another way to get benefits out of it.
Honey

Post by Honey »

I agree... these places should be considered as natural zones, no touristic areas modified drastically by men. Nevertheless, I guess they won't change their mind and leave behind one of their main ways to earn money. :?

I also agree in the fact that it continues being a hazardous area to live. They could design new possibilities to avoid future problems - as possible. :?:

Interesting consideration! :wink:
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Post by Guest »

Thank you :wink: Anyway, I think there are many ways to get benefits out of the place without disturbing or changing the whole sight. They just have to be more creative and careful what they might mess with nature.
Nadia

Post by Nadia »

:( I'm the country where was attacted by Tsunamis,Thailand.I'd like to invite you to travel here.Everything is o.k and beautiful like the same now.We are trying to stand agin.Local people are waiting to welcome you with our hospitality and friendship.
By the way, Tsunamis is an unexpected event and no one wanted to see it happend again. So you should back to Tsunamis effected countries for support people and it's the way to encourage them to stand with their own feet again.
Thanks
see you :)
Akire_san

Post by Akire_san »

I think people should help them by giving money but they also have to go there. Those people live of the turism and if people stop going over there many people will be without any job. I think that although is an horrible situation the one they are living we have to help them to return to their normal live and it includes people going on vacations over there!!!
When live gives u limons......make limonade :)
lupe

Re: Tsunami and tourism

Post by lupe »

TP wrote:Should tourists be going ahead with their holidays now in the countries which are still suffering the effects of the recent tsunami?
I think by the moment isn`t convenient because those countries aren`t allowed for receive tourist. First have to offer security on diferents services like health. transportation recreations places and goverment.
Aida Lorena

Post by Aida Lorena »

well I think that holidays can be celebrated at any time of the year, so if people want to, they can (nobody would say them not to), but, in the other hand how would you feel about some people having fun, when other is trying to live an other day? to survive? I mean is that fair? It's too easy to turn off the tv to have no knowledge of what is happening around the world, but that's just a simple or an easy way to be a careless and a blind person, because no matter what you do...the damage is already done.

So, why are you doing? There's time for everything and everybody, so the question is what time is now?

thanks 4 reading
aida
Aida Lorena

Post by Aida Lorena »

well I think that holidays can be celebrated at any time of the year, so if people want to, they can (nobody would say them not to), but, in the other hand how would you feel about some people having fun, when other is trying to live an other day? to survive? I mean is that fair? It's too easy to turn off the tv to have no knowledge of what is happening around the world, but that's just a simple or an easy way to be a careless and a blind person, because no matter what you do...the damage is already done.So, why are you doing? There's time for everything and everybody, so the question is what time is now?
thanks 4 reading
aida
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

This is definately a hard question! :?: The economy of these areas are so driven by the tourist dollar that it makes sense that they will urge people to return. Most people want to help; so they will continue to visit. The problem at the moment is the environment that they are going into. There are still earthquakes happening there; and countries are battling to keep up with cleaning up programs (one after another). Then you add the tourist situation into the mix and the obvious lack of infrastructure to cope with additional short-term populas.

I must admit I wouldn't consider going there for a holiday with my family at the moment (not to say i wouldn't down the track). I'm sure other people will though. I would say that most Goverments have taken into consideration that the general opinion will be to stay away; and will make welfare arrangements for those most affected. (I HOPE). :!:
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

I think we should do that. Because people in tsunami country need our helps, and traveling in these countries is the best way to help them, they need money to build houses and repair everything damaged.
Who knows how to take part in International Volunteer??
What I have to do to be accepted, and who I have to contact with??
Thanks. Now I'm student in Medical University. I can teach, or take care of human healthy.
Thanks alot.
MTV i like most wanted
olgacanlas

The Second Wave

Post by olgacanlas »

Many of the tourist destinations in Thailand that were affected by the tsunami are up and running now...but there are very few tourists there to fill them up. Many resort and restaurant employees are on "long-term leave". Places like Thailand are fearing what is called the "second wave" because tourism, which used to account for 5% of their economy, is not bringing in very much revenue at the moment.
ARMYLEARNER

Tsunami

Post by ARMYLEARNER »

Hi all
I think that any one said the tourism must stay at home and dont to go there, he had mistaken, our rule in tat life is to help each other,let us take a part of those peoples there,how do we feel when finding our self alone with out help with out sharing sadness it is disasster. so my opinion to hurry in providing help either to go there or to sen a money to them for those who are not able to go
:tick:
ENGLISH LEARNER
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

The tsunami definately affected tourism; but the fear of terrorist attacks will definately finish the tourist trade. Holidays are expensive and usually well planned. People won't be inclined to travel if they are going to spend all their time worrying about terrorist attacks. :cry:
hellofriend

Post by hellofriend »

Certainly not, because the areas which are affected by the tsunami are under unstable condition, who knows what will happen next. People will be afraid to go there, there might be more earthquakes come and cause more serious tsunami. Besides, after the tsunami, cities are faing the reconstruction problem, there are not many things to see except you wanna be a volunteer to help the local government to rebuilt their cities.
MISSIVA

Post by MISSIVA »

my worst nightmare, I'm so scared about tsunamis and earthquakes, but it's not a reason to no visite these amazing islands , juste chose the right place, i mean where security systems are working on beaches that you would be informed in case of Any massive wave, after that just make sur you've got a healthy feet to run