Do people have the right to die how they choose?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

oliwells

Re: Do people have the right to die how they choose?

Post by oliwells »

Death comes in people at least we didn't expect. Just like life is unpredictable so as death.
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Hi,

I believe it's not correct to discuss rightfulness of making a decision to leave this world.
It is most likely that every person who wants to die has no doubts in rightfulness of his/her own decision. And, it is not our business to bless or condemn such a person.

Yet, we can judge about rightfulness of creating legal framework for the situation. However, this discussion must be one of the hottest topics at all times. Also, whenever you mention God or divine providence, don't forget that there is still some people who doesn't accept the concept of divine providence and doesn't believe in God at all.

So, taking into consideration the above, don't you think that all the disputes on the subject are absulutely useless?
Suppose, you have succeeded in recruiting someone to your belief. Are you sure that the preacher of another belief, at the same time, haven't succeded either? Are you sure that everyone can be recruited, well, convinced at all? Ask yourself, how often you changed your opinion on the basic postulates of life.
Look, I have some life experience. Nevertheless, I still didn't come to awareness about the necessity of legalisation of euthanasia. And I don't think that anyone can persuade me, either.
It's a controversial topic. And controversial topics are given to imrove our skills in rethoric , not to come to agreement.
Do you agree? {-;

Andrew
Oriani
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Oriani »

reindeer wrote:Hi,

I believe it's not correct to discuss rightfulness of making a decision to leave this world.
It is most likely that every person who wants to die has no doubts in rightfulness of his/her own decision. And, it is not our business to bless or condemn such a person.

Yet, we can judge about rightfulness of creating legal framework for the situation. However, this discussion must be one of the hottest topics at all times. Also, whenever you mention God or divine providence, don't forget that there is still some people who doesn't accept the concept of divine providence and doesn't believe in God at all.

So, taking into consideration the above, don't you think that all the disputes on the subject are absulutely useless?
Suppose, you have succeeded in recruiting someone to your belief. Are you sure that the preacher of another belief, at the same time, haven't succeded either? Are you sure that everyone can be recruited, well, convinced at all? Ask yourself, how often you changed your opinion on the basic postulates of life.
Look, I have some life experience. Nevertheless, I still didn't come to awareness about the necessity of legalisation of euthanasia. And I don't think that anyone can persuade me, either.
It's a controversial topic. And controversial topics are given to imrove our skills in rethoric , not to come to agreement.
Do you agree? {-;

Andrew
I like your writing! It looks like an essay [Ok, this post is so off-topic but I had to say it]
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

Thank you Oriani. I,in turn, like the the discourse of cjlarrain whos post you can see on the top of this page. However, I am a little more sceptical about the possibility to exterminate povetry, corruption, etc. in this millenium.
Ilove

Post by Ilove »

What a fantastic question! It depends on which type of right does this question refer to.
In terms of legal right, people cannot choose how they die. For example, different countries have their own laws based on killing their citizens and residents lawfully.
Similarly, in terms of moral right, we cannot choose how we die as well. We do not have such power to terminate our lives besides God. However, God loves and wants us to live through good and bad times, so we can face what reality is and strengthen ourselves. =)
reindeer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by reindeer »

But sometimes people don't care about laws!
Don't you think that under certain circumstances someone may have moral right to break a law, whether civil or moral one? We all know how many ridiculous laws have been decreed by human race during the ages.
After all, there are evidents that even animals commit suicude!
Elearner

Post by Elearner »

Every people in this world have their own destiny, however, we still have our own self decision to make on what we like to do with our life.

Choosing what you will like to be or choosing what you don't want to be is a personal decision to make. Whatever your decision is on what you want to do in your life, will surely affect others live, for example; your family, your son/daughter, and career etc.

Still, deciding on what you would like to do in your life is your personal decision, but sometimes it's not due to unpredictable happenings that might come to us.
Klaudyna

Post by Klaudyna »

In my opinion although people have the right to live how they choose, they haven't the right to die how they choose. There are many cases when people try to kill themselves and it is bad, because only God can decide how we die and when it will be. Moreover I think that life is wonderful and we should not think about death, because we should enjoy every day.
alexandra

Post by alexandra »

According to me everybody dies in different way. It is God decides about a kind of death in every person. It isn't dependent on us, so I think a human should trust the God and don't look for the reason to die, even if she or he isn't now happy.
kassliw

Post by kassliw »

In my point of view people should have the right to die. In cases where people have a terminal illness. People always say that the only person responsible for what happens to you is yourself but you can't have the choice to end your own life?
It's your life, not someone else's.
lesoli

Post by lesoli »

According to me people should have right to die how they choose. If they are unhappy, becouse they get bad mark or they have to learn they can't commit suicide.But when they are for example terminally ill and they don't want to suffer they can kill themselves. From the point of view of church it is immoral, but priests don't thint that it is only prolongation of suffering for this people.
alicjapie

Post by alicjapie »

I think that we should not choose the moment when we die. We got it as a gift from God and we should appreciate that. Let's not think about it when we die. Let's think about what we need to do. You have to take advantage of this gift-to do something for yourself and for other people :)
krozmar

Post by krozmar »

Not everyone will agree with me but I think that people shouldn't be the right to die. God gives us life and only he can decide when we die.
emilkatok

Post by emilkatok »

In my opinion , people don't have the right to die how they choose.
Life is a gift from our parents. We should respect life. Everyone has right to live and nobady can't choose this right.
Abortion should be forbid!
My religion is oppose abortion, euthanasia. I agree with thase.

If we will have full right to reign life or die , all world can be change!!!
Duccini

Post by Duccini »

As I could read the majority of people who disagrees with people having this right, chose this view because of their belief in god as our creator, hence his choice about when and how you should die.

What if suicide was God's will? What if his way of making someone achieve his purpose in here was by letting this person go by his own will? It was mentioned the movie The Sea Inside somewhere in this thread. Those who know the story will agree with me that dead was pretty meaningful (the movie was based on true events, I must say).

I read some of you guys claiming that the suicide is a sign of the sickness of the person. Well, maybe it's a sign of the sickness of the world.

For me almost everyone should have this right, if it comes to that. But not for all the cases. People should face the consequences of certain acts. A guy who enters a school shooting at dozens of children shouldn't have the right to escape by killing himself.
dariakur

Post by dariakur »

I'm a christian, so for me this is simple question to answer. God gave us life through our parents which means that only God can take it back. Mankind are only creatures created by God, we don't have any rights to choose how we or somebody from our family and friends die. Every death means something and is causes some effects. Everything happens for a reason, even if this is horrifying.
StoKin

Post by StoKin »

I think that a lot of people do not want to die because God gave life them and they are grateful him. The next reason may be that they will leave their family and friends in mourning. If they have the right to die they want to die naturally. Sometimes people can't live because their are sick to end of their life and it would be a reason to commit suicide.
Tkiewicz

Post by Tkiewicz »

I disagree with people who say that only God can decides about people's live and die. In my opinion that kind of decision it might be hard but someone who is very ill and doesn't want to suffer should end live how he or she wants.
rokwysocka

Post by rokwysocka »

In my opinion everybody should decide about himself, so people should have the right to die, but only in case when death is unavoidable and somobedy's life is a suffering. I think when somebody has a chance to recover he has to try or when he doesn't feel pain and he can do yet what he wants, he should to make his dreams come true.
RogelikIID

Post by RogelikIID »

We have no influence on our born so we shouldn't choose how and when we die. Everybody should die on natural death and it doesn't matter how is our life.
nicbase

Post by nicbase »

I agree that people have a right to live how they choose , but they don't have a right to die how the choose. Everyone even ill person has a right to live as long as it is possible. It is independent of them how long will they die. People shouldn't choose how to die themself, because people shouldn't commit for instance suicides , because the human population might be decrease in the future and it's disturbing. Everyone should live long and luckily and do his tasks to improve the world.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

for minor things, we all have the right to choose but for major or a lot of sensitive issues we just do not have the right, especially issues about life here in my country.
SOATOAVINA

Post by SOATOAVINA »

The subjet concerning the right to choose the way to die has touched another subjet matter: the existence of God.

Does God really exist?

The real question that's worth be asked is : do we care about our origin? I know the matter here is the way we end our life, but it seems clear it is attached to the way we see and consider our origin.

As a human being, I think every sensed person should ask this question to him/herself or to other people once.
Does one have to go as far as a philosopher can penetrate on this question_.. it depends, but what is sure is that this question is unavoidable. Whether during one's passage at school or through everyday discussions, or anywhere people talk about life, this question will pop up at one time in one's life.

So, what is the answer to this question?
Does God has some businesss to do with our end. Does God even exist.
Is my origin my grand grand ...parents which were at the beginning monkeys/fish/... .

I think one should not be short-sighted as to say my mother gave me life and God has nothing to do with it. This is reducing all the miracles of life to a bunch of nonesense which started some time nobody knows exactly.
We have the choice about how we want to lead our life if we have the mean to do so, but usually people go out of their home to work or to go to school or elsewhere without knowing it is the end for them. Sure, it makes you think, and if I had the choice...?
I often whatch those TV program talking about all the considered weird things in the world: discoveries, church miracles, witchcraft and vodoo, magicians, ghosts, etc. In my country, I also see people victims of black practices and people possessed by evil spirits. I think one should enquire about those things and not underestimate those happenings.
It is easy for a person who has not yet victim of sorcellery to say that it does not exist.
it is easy for a person whose country has not yet experienced war to ignite its sparkle anytime this person is angry.
it is easy for a person who knows nothing about the world of spirit to say God does not exist.
But God does exist. You need to know Him and try Him before being sure of that.

The right to choose the way to die and the fact of using it is for people who are afraid they will end their life in suffering.
aladrelich

Post by aladrelich »

I don't agree with that. We can't decided about someone life or when we want to die. We have to think what we want to do in our life and who change. We should be thankful that we are alive.
alicpryl

Post by alicpryl »

I disagree with that people have the right to die how they choose. The life is an obligation and people can't decide if they want to live or die. We have families and friends who need our love and help. I trust that only God can decide about people's life.
natalianowak

Post by natalianowak »

In my opinion life is obligation and people must live. We don't have right to die, when we choose this. Life can be difficult, but on the other hand life can be beautiful. I think, that life is finely obligation and I suppose God gives us life, so we can't decide when someone should die or live.
annmadej

Post by annmadej »

In my opinion every human has right to decide how wants to live. We don't have knowledge about somadies feelings, or health. I also think that this right is very important to people who can't live on their own, and they can't change that for their health.
agatawerecka

Post by agatawerecka »

It seems to me that everyone decides for himself. We should have right to do whatever we want. If someone want to die, we need to let him die. Every man is the architekt of his own fortune.
klamolga

Post by klamolga »

Death is an integral part of living. It cannot be separated or treat as something beyond living. As such it is impossible to separate this two. Our lives are leading to ours deaths, and our death is only as good as our life was.‏
Lucywa

Post by Lucywa »

In my opinion people should have the right to die how they choose. We decide about our live so why don't we can't decide about our death? Sometimes death is the best option when someone can't live how he or she wants to live. They have problems which are based for example on health. :-(
MajaPu

Post by MajaPu »

So, all of us have only one life. I believe in think that only we can determine about our life. So, if sb is really sick, seriously ill- like cancer or sth like this and there is no chance for him, why he/she have to suffer? ;-))
For me- everything depends on his/her will.
wiktoriasz

Post by wiktoriasz »

In my opinion every person should have a right to make a decision about one's own life. If someone want to die it his private decision. People shouldn't divest other person of life and shouldn't take away someone's choice to die.
OskiDz

Post by OskiDz »

People have the right to die how they choose, but it is stupid to die before "our time" will come. We should live as long as possible
KubaKoi

Post by KubaKoi »

In my opinion people have the right to die how they choose. Dying is so important thing and if someone wants to die I think we should let him die as he wants to. It is only this person decision and he has the right to decide how to die.
justynasta

Post by justynasta »

For me it's a very hard topic. People have different opinion. I'm still reading, watching and listening to wise people, but I haven't had my opinion yet.
dębskidzik

Post by dębskidzik »

We have only one chance to live so we have to try to be as full of life as possible because it's the simpliest way to happiness
kowalskidzik

Post by kowalskidzik »

It's really hard question. I can't answer. I don't know.
Adifanstal

Post by Adifanstal »

I think no. People on "die bed" should take wrong decisions, because of painful moment. "God is giving live ans God is taking live."
OlaaMej

Post by OlaaMej »

It's really hard to say if people have the right to die how they choose. At one hand, it's our live and we can do whatever we want to, it's our decision if want to die or live. But on the other hand leave family and friends because of the hardships of life is really selfish. We need to think over, especially people who want to commit suicide, are we really that selfish to ruin lives of our loved ones? :-(
kruwik

Post by kruwik »

I think that shouldn't have the right to die how they choose because sometimes they aren't on some occasions conscious they decisions.
NaKuzajewska

Post by NaKuzajewska »

I aggre with it, because to me every person id Free, he can live like he want, so he could also have Rihht to die how he wants
Basharuae

Post by Basharuae »

YES they do ONLY if they had the choice to exist.

Our choices are only between those 2 point i.e. when we come to existence and death.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

I think this is a personal issue.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Krisi wrote:I think this is a personal issue.
I prefer to think of making my life long... I'd prefer to know how to grow old (in age) while looking young. :roll: 8-)
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Krisi wrote:
I prefer to think of making my life long... I'd prefer to know how to grow old (in age) while looking young. :roll: 8-)
if you do sport/exercise you can look young in age like Madonna does
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Vega wrote:
Krisi wrote:
that's nice. what type of exercise? do you have any idea?
esl member since 2007
Сузана

Post by Сузана »

To answer the question...absolutely. Not because it's a "right," whatever that means, but because there is no reason whatsoever for anyone to be able to regulate how someone else lives their life. And that includes how someone else dies. Most people would prefer to live than to choose to die early, but if someone chooses to die, there's no reason to stop them from doing so.

Krisi wrote:
Vega wrote:
Krisi wrote:
that's nice. what type of exercise? do you have any idea?
I would imagine that just living a healthy lifestyle in general makes people look younger. After all, ageing is a process of deterioration*, and health by definition is the absence of this process.

*if you didn't know, "deterioration," is basically a nice, fancy word for "getting worse." :p
"Die Philosophen haben die Welt nur verschieden interpretiert, es kömmt drauf an, sie zu verändern," - Karl Marx
ritzkevin

Post by ritzkevin »

Sometimes we die by accident. I think it's better not to think about being dead. It's better to talk about things that makes us alive and enjoy life.
Ritz Kevin

Online English teacher/language trainer

Do you want to improve your English or Filipino? I can help. FREE trial

Skype id: housedog1983

Watch my YouTube video: https://youtu.be/iUDpoMJcdso
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Life is not a race, it's a gift. Enjoy it, don't rush through it.