How can terrorist attacks be prevented in the future?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by TalkingPoint »

Last edited by TalkingPoint on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

heu...

love each others...

respect

honesty

don't try to control all world

Think to help everyone you can help.

Put pride off.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

I think all countries have to unite ,and cooperate to prevent terrorists. Everybody has to know how danger of terrorist and refuses to help them, we have to avoid them, isolate them, and do everything to make them understand that they are doing wrong way.
And maybe we should forgive them if they want to change to good way, don't try to force them to the wall, let make them understand that they still have way out of crime.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

authorityquery wrote:I think all countries have to unite ,and cooperate to prevent terrorists. Everybody has to know how danger of terrorist and refuses to help them, we have to avoid them, isolate them, and do everything to make them understand that they are doing wrong way.
I think so, too.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

We firstly need to establish why these people are performing terrorist acts. We can't stop them until we understand why they are happening in the first place.
hello

Post by hello »

Well, I think when the world stops discrimination and stops interfering with other's privacies, then people can enjoy their freedom and we all will enjoy peace ....

Dream,,,
:P
Dreams
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

if some countries stoped from stuffing their nose into others buisness and if goverments were hounst and faithful to thier community and that is by putting off thier personal interests and try to think a little bit about their people....we must try to live peacfully without thinking about races cultures and religions
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

leen__rasel wrote:if some countries stoped from stuffing their nose into others buisness and if goverments were hounst and faithful to thier community and that is by putting off thier personal interests and try to think a little bit about their people....we must try to live peacfully without thinking about races cultures and religions
This will be out of topic a little bit, but I disagree with that, in some sense. Genocide in Rwanda is an example. People in the world were turning their backs on those innocent victims when it'd happened. Thousands were killed, for many people didn't care since it was in Africa. Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people, but not many countries were willing to let them borrow their troops. That genocide is one of the most killing rate that has happened :cry: :cry: :cry: .
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

dear lynne maybe i didn't explain what i meant by saying that some countries should not stuf their noze into others buisness, what i wanted to say is that some countries interfer in other countries decisions and politics while these countries do not actually need help , they think that they have the green light to interfer while they don't and the problem that the leaderships are the ones who usually give them this seign,what they care about is their interests, they think that the country is going tofall down when they say no ..no...no thank you.,...thank you lynne
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

It's the same thing as what you said in your earlier post, but never mind that.
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

i don't know what do you want me to say but i think that you understand what i mean ....i don't have to say more , i don't want to give examples because i don't want to get myself into troubles...
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

leen__rasel wrote:i don't know what do you want me to say but i think that you understand what i mean ....i don't have to say more , i don't want to give examples because i don't want to get myself into troubles...
I see what you are saying and I do agree with it in the most part. I think Governments have to get involved in human right issues; but shouldn't intefere in how other Countries govern unless they are expressly ASKED to.

It is common sense; you don't go out and push people around you wait until they ask you for help, or you will be seen as a busybody!

We are all aware that alot of decisions that have been made in the past have had nothing to do with human rights or protection; they have been more about acquiring land or minerals. :(
sunnyni

Post by sunnyni »

There are many reasons for the existence of terrorist.
we have to find it.Such as the unfair distribute of the fortune, the corruption of the goverment, original resource is pockety and so on. Maybe we have to do something to help each other, not just by weapon. If we always solve such problem by force, but ignore the exist problem, maybe there will be more and more terrorist.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

LennyeTran wrote: Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people :cry: :cry: :cry: .
You are mistaken about that. The UN pulled their troops out of Rwanda even though the local commander proteseted. That'a when the slaughter began.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:
LennyeTran wrote: Only UN didn't turn their backs; they helped those poor people :cry: :cry: :cry: .
You are mistaken about that. The UN pulled their troops out of Rwanda even though the local commander proteseted. That'a when the slaughter began.
The UN couldn't borrow troops from the countries they asked for. Belgium was involved, but many soldiers were killed; therefore, they pulled their troops out of Rwanda. Check the facts at PBS website or you can check the documentary DVD Ghosts of Rwanda.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

There was a good movie about one man's survival through the Rwanda ordeal if anyone is interested. It is called Hotel Rwanda.
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

Mohammad Sidique Khan said:
"I am going to keep this short and to the point, because it's all been said before by far more eloquent people than me.

"But our words have no impact upon you, therefore I'm going to talk to you in a language that you understand. Our words are dead until we give them life with our blood.

"I'm sure by now the media has painted a suitable picture of me, this predictable propaganda machine will naturally try to put a spin on it to suit the government and to scare the masses into conforming to their power- and wealth-obsessed agendas.
"I and thousands like me are forsaking everything for what we believe. Our driving motivation doesn't come from tangible commodities that this world has to offer. Our religion is Islam, obedience to the one true God, Allah and follow in the footsteps of the final prophet and messenger Muhammad.
"This is how our ethical stances are dictated. Your democratically elected governments perpetuate atrocities against my people and your support of them makes you responsible, just as I am directly responsible for protecting and avenging my Muslim brothers and sisters.

"Until we feel security, you'll be our target. Until you stop the bombing, gassing, imprisonment and torture of my people, we'll not stop this fight. We are at war and I am a soldier. Now you too will taste the reality of this situation."
This is the text that one of the terrorists left to us, of course this seen from his eyes, i don't know if this have some importance but i thought it could be a good element to the conversation about what they think when they are preparing one attack, it's terrible and is difficult to understand what we can do to stop them :(
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

The answer is very simple but no one is willing to risk their political carreer to stop terrorists on Western shores. Terrorists power comes from their religion. This can be done because their religion is political and goes against the moral values and laws already established in Western countries such as their views on polygamy. We must outlaw their religion and bannish it from the shores of our Western countries.

Those of you who are not willing to do that are your own worst enemies because you invite terrorism into your homes.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

danyet wrote:There was a good movie about one man's survival through the Rwanda ordeal if anyone is interested. It is called Hotel Rwanda.
A documentary film-- a collection of all facts and interviews of people who have happened to be in certain situation, which the film is trying to bring out.
A movie about a fact-- a view of the producer through his own lens about the facts, people, etc.
Hmmm... I wonder which one is more reliable??!?!?!?!?!? :roll: :roll:
natsu0713

Post by natsu0713 »

I think this is a difficult question to answer. Terrorism has existed for a long time. If there is indeed an effective way to slove this problem peacefully, then that person who find out that way should deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

What I can think up is only crazy ideas. The first one is to catch all of the terrorists and send them to outer space or put them on an island and use an atom bomb to kill them. Thus, they will disappear from the earth. However, what is the difference between this way and terrorist attacks?

Another crazy idea is to hypnotize the terrorists. By telling them that it is not right to do inhuman behaviors to other people.

Well... those are my ideas about how to prevent terrorist attacks in the future.
Pearla

Post by Pearla »

In my opinion terrorist is an old and complicated problem and religion and race have nothing to do with it. It’s a feeling of hate and anger within human toward another human. So, I think the best way to solve this problem is conversation. We should set with those people and try to understand why they are doing that and what’s make them feeling that way and then try to get to a suitable solution that satisfy the both sides.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Terrorism

Post by tikay »

When those bombing -planes hit the twin towers I was on my way to school near Los Angeles California...I had discovered that I was pregnant with the child of my current boyfriend and I was deciding to keep or let go of this child, we were obviously not going to be marrying because of our problems but I have waited all of my life to raise a girl child...it was a dream coming true. I had three sons who were becoming men. I was fourty years old. An artist and mother returning to school.

I entered my college to see the planes destroying the two huge buildings in my country...I watched it over asd over for several hours during the news take-over of the screen, the impact will never quite be explained...I knew IT was coming because of the way our politicians deny truth...but i was not ready for it. I was pregnant with a little girl. I was livid. I was tortured by the decision to have the child because we were giong to be embrioled in a war...possibly of the third kind...the war to end us all.

Imagine how it affected me. I was raised by hippys...people with an agenda for peace. We were asking for the means to counter act such things since I can remember. Why do the politicians cause so much suffering under the guise of protection...why did they not make friends with all nations before to prevent these things from coming to fruition? They are selfish. They dont think properly. They are avoiding truth. To get along is easy...you must first show some RESPECT and then follow it with being just NICE. No EXCEPTIONS. I dont care if my neighbors worship a RELIGIOUS SYSTEM that i disagree with, or an old shoe as their god...that is their perogitive, THAT... It does not matter, they live so they have a right to do as they please...i will respect them because I have no other right place...judge them not ...but if everyone respected the LIFE....well maybe they would not try to snuff it out of the next person, because no one has the right. I expect many of you will not get my point but I must say it and end here. NO ONE SHOULD TAKE A LIFE AND IF THEY DO THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENSES...to taking the life. We are not responsible for the actions of world leaders but we are responsible to get them to hear our voices in disagreement to what they are doing which affect us daily. WAR Is Not The Answer to War Crimes. They should be brought to justice through the systems of punishment for CRIMES against humanity.

I have so much more to say but I will stop here for now because I am sick today with a cold. I must rest now.
love to the whole planet and beyond.......
( I have my daughter and she is a dream come true) I wait for an end to WAR, for my children to see life... and you too! as I have been able to do.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

Tikay I read your message and found alot of truth in some of the things you said. The problem with terrorism is it doesn't just affect one country or one people, it affects us all.

The point that you raised that I agree with whole-heartedly is the fact that MOST people don't care what religion people follow. The problem with extremists is that they want the whole world to think and act as they do. :twisted:

We have to fight these sorts of attitudes.

'Live and Let Live'.
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hey Shazzam

Post by tikay »

Hey!
You are right of course. The demeanor of humans who try to say we should all believe as they do is wrong. Even I would not want people to constantly agree with my ideas especially if they were not in line with their thoughts, But I am a peace-maker at heart.

I get very angry about things that seem like pure insanity, and I often wonder how people can act as if the answers are not more simple. It all goes a bit too slow...dragging it's feet this PROGRESS...I want things to be better for everyone overnight sometimes, then I remember that the process is going as it is going. That the process is important too. And I get over myself again. I lighten up...

I can then see that big changes are coming and many forms of violence, toward people who have been raised differently will be a thing of the past one future day.

Look at what has happened since the time of my elders. My grandmom rode to Missouri at about age nine, in a covered wagon...think John Wayne movies...and look at the things we have learned since then...in less than a hundred years!

I have nothing but hope that tolerance wins in the end.
The insanity has to stop someday!
We must fight if we have it in us. We must do whatever we can to make this progress our process, even if it means just being tolerant in an english club forum...one step at a time we will be made more a whole people. Become less and less broken as nations, one person at a time.
Consul

Re: How can terrorist attacks be prevented in the future?

Post by Consul »

I think terrorism is one of the main problems in our time. Many people want to change the world and some of these people do it use the guns and attack government places, killing peaceful people and another terrible things. In our time we call these people – terrorists. In some cases terrorists cover themselves under the God, and they do these things witch the God say to do. I think that these people are cruel, mean and they mustn’t live here, because if they say things like these, we terribly think what thought in their head?!! That’s why government make meeting, where they solve this problem. And I think not only government can solve this problem but we can solve too if we help each other with OUR COMMON EFFORTS, because one people can’t do something in this situation!!! All countries have to unite and prevent terrorists!Thanks=))
Consul

Post by Consul »

and only love each other {-: =))
nessma

Post by nessma »

actually , i think there is a relation between policy & terrorism between countries so
some groups use mafias to Carry out terrorist attaks in these countries
Samirhukil

Post by Samirhukil »

Terrorist attacks can be prevented by ending terrorism.

Negotiate with the people who are forced to become terrorists. Have a dialouge with them.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

To encourage and preserve self-determination of each conscious being.

To give a pedagogical value to each thing, to each action, to each being.

To have courage to live fun, to put fun into our life !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
alcimara

Post by alcimara »

Terrorists shold be treated in the strictest possible, becouse they haven't limits in their attacks.
dianayamazaki

Post by dianayamazaki »

The best way is through education, not only science and serious stuff, but also behavior and mindset training. Through early education, children can be taught to do the right things and have compassion towards others. Most of the terrorist are antisocial, so children should be trained how to socialize with others and help each other.

The other way, which is also important, is law enforcement. In mu opinion death sentence is the fairest penalty for those terrorist who cruelly kill many innocent people just because of their fanatic wrath. This penalty will cause deterrent effect, so logically it will decrease terrorism case if implemented properly.
asgharloo

Post by asgharloo »

This is a controversial topic for discuss, I believe that the thing that causes terrorists emerge in this era, have different reason. if we want to find a resolution for this problem in this world we should consider the cultural aspect of this action.
The main reason I believe that in some countries the people suffer from poverty and poverty of course it brings the ignorance .in this countries fundamental groups have potential to arise and find some pro. they deceive uneducated people and manipulate them to do this things.
So for the first we should help this people with knowledge , money and try to understand them.
To sum up I believe the whole world should try to provide better facilities and better education for these society and help them with development.

I hope I has not bother anyone.
hellofriend

Post by hellofriend »

There are several methods we can use to prevent the terrorists' attack. But i mean they are also unstable, they can attack any place at anytime and anwhere thet want. But there are still some things we can do to minimize the percentage of terroist. First we can sent more and more spy into their organization, so we can have an eye on them. Secondly, we need to reley ourselves, try to stength the security check like put more and more security check station in the city, it could be in every metro station, any entrance of a building.