Are left-handed people disadvantaged?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

bigpotato

Post by bigpotato »

UFO wrote:I heard that left handed people are more creative one as they use heavily right hemisphere of their brains. They are good at art, music, etc..
You are right! Each of the hemisphere has its own use. It's proved that the right hemisphere of left-handed people' brains is more developed while the left one of right-handed people' brains work out better . So the left-handed people often more creative and imaginative so they good at art or creative activities(just often) and right-handed ones think better especially logical problems, they good at maths, sciences. Anyway, I write by my right hand. :)
UFO wrote:I started to use my right hand and do exercises for 20 minutes by writing something on a piece of paper. This is a good exercise to improve my intelligence.
That's true. It's a way to improve your brain's power

Another point I want to talk is that it's logical someway when your teacher forces you to write by your right hand. As you know, most of us write from left to right on the page. It's not natural random that human use right hand and write from left to right. If you write by left hand, just inconvenient for you when your hand cover the word right after you write the next one -> you can't see what you've written and sometimes the hand can smudge the words. It's similar that you use your right hand and write from right to left. Try, you'll know what I mean :D.
ghadeer

Post by ghadeer »

hi UFO,i know that using left hand is not wrong and i have many friends use their right hand and they are muslims but some people when their children are growing up tell their children to use right hand and that is better so childrengrow up using their right hand. iam muslim and use my right hand but no body force me to use my right hand.
thank you UFO.where are you from?
UFO

Post by UFO »

Hi bigpatato,
I understood what you mean. You are right. :) But I developed a technique to see what I am writing. :) I turn the notebook a little to see. :) A point that I am still surprised, I am not good at art in fact. I am good at language and math. I like to solve logical problems. :S Maybe I have potential ability that I could not reveal. ;)

Hi ghadeer,
I am from Turkey, a country among Asia and Europe. It belongs to Asia. Turkey have breeze forum Asia and carry the features of Europe.
ghadeer

Post by ghadeer »

Hi UFO
How are you?
Nice to meet you.I know about Turkey and wish to have the opportunity to visit it.
Yen

Post by Yen »

I think the teachers forced students use right-hand, it have a reason. The materials, sissors, tables, book make for the people who use the right-hand. So, it is very unconvience to use left-hand. That's why the teacher forced students use their right-hand when they are kid.
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Yen wrote:I think the teachers forced students use right-hand, it have a reason. The materials, sissors, tables, book make for the people who use the right-hand. So, it is very unconvience to use left-hand. That's why the teacher forced students use their right-hand when they are kid.
actually,considering the practical piont,what you said is pretty right.However,in anothe side--the willingness of the guys who tend to use left hand,which i mean, they enjoy their habits,no matter how huge obstables,such as the shame of eye from friends,colleagues,or regarded as an eccentric,or just the inconvenience you mensioned,what it might be!sometimes they do not care or just constantly fight and triumph such barriers---maybe their guys will spend more time practice their letters than the right-hand person dose.anyway,let the nature get its own course. :wink:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

I don't think that by using our left hands more often, it can develop our right brain. As far as I know, we can develop our right brain by doing some activities such as singing, painting, dancing, and the like.

Can you explain more detail on the activities you meant? And one more, who the scientists did you mean that put forward this theory? And what is the scientific explanations?
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Products are designed by the market's need

Post by Bambang »

brianmiller wrote:I'm right-handed, but I golf left-handed and I am definitely at a disadvantage when trying to buy gof equipment, especially here in Japan. You can find any brand or model club you want if your righthanded, you can try out the club if you want and often there are great bargains to be had. But there is a very limited selection of lefty stuff, which you can't try and is almost never on sale.

Boo Hoo!

My friends, I just wanna say that it's normal that most products are designed for right-handed people. One of the basic principles when a company designs their products, it's based on the market's need. They do research first, what products are most demanded, what models are most preferred, and who are the potencial buyers etc. Of course a company wants their products to be bought as much as possible. Since the majority of the buyers is right-handed, then automatically the company designs and manufactures their products which are friendly with right-handed people.

I think left-handed people can not complain on this. All they have to do is to adjust to this situation. And I think it's not a big deal to adjust with it. In fact, many left-handed people can do this, and it doesn't need too much energy to do it.

So, for those who are left-handed, with all my respect, please accept the reality and adjust your selves with this reality.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

shadds wrote: I have read somewhere that if a left hander is forced to use his right hand or vice-versa the person starts stammering or sluring while speaking.. and it is certain natural functioning of the brain that makes any boby righ or left hander...

My friend, what books or articles have you read on this? I just wanna advice you to be a critical reader. Not all of the things you heard are the truth and not all of the things you read are correct. Analyse the arguments then pick your stance. A left-hander will not start stammering or sluring while speaking just because he is trying to practise his right hand and vice versa.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Are left-handed people disadvantaged?

Post by Bambang »

Valery wrote:I want to tell you that in China left-handed people are very clever.
My friend, the cleverness does not depend on whether someone is left-handed or right-handed. Many right- handers are very clever but many of them are very stupid. Similarly, Lots and lots of left-handers are very very clever but a lot of them are very very stupid.

This concept happens in every and each corner of this planet including China.
stinks

OF COURSE THERE'S DISADVANTAGE

Post by stinks »

In my opinion there's disadvantage between left-handed people and right-handed people.
when I was young my mom forced me to write with right hand becauce I'm left-handed. I think that is disadvantage for left-handed peole because it is natural habit and people force them to change it. It's unfair for us, left-handed people.
Since left-handed people should be allowed to write with their left hand.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Start from your family.

Post by Bambang »

Dear stinks

I think you should change that rule which forces left-handers to write with right hand. Start from you family first, neighborhood, country, and this world at the end.

Psychologically speaking, it's not good for one's mentality to get forced to do something that is against his body nature.
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

TalkingPoint wrote:To what extent are left-handed people disadvantaged in the world today?

What do you think?
Are we disadvantaged? Nope!

:wink:
hedwig14

Post by hedwig14 »

coz they are outnumbered? i think they're very artistic.. their right hemisphere is more developed than ours. they have their own advantages..
yinzhang
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by yinzhang »

I think that using left hand to do things is really cool! many of my teachers and friends are left-handed. I like that.
There was a period of time when I practised writing in my left hand, but I just couldn't make it, hehe.
lyphan

Re:

Post by lyphan »

UFO wrote:
keeper wrote:i heard that left-hand people is more clever than right-hand people,is that true?
not clever but creative
That is right.
Napoleon is left-handed.
In my opinion, left-handed people have some more advantages.
It is clear that mobile phone be popular nowadays. Each person has at least one. Scientists have shown that your brain is affected more when you use your right ear to make a phone call. It is simply to see that the left-handed people usually use their left ear, not the right one.
coolg

Re:

Post by coolg »

Shazzam wrote:I have noticed that most people that are right handed have neater hand writting :? . I think in some instances too because of the universal way that writing books are made it is easy for them to smudge their work. What do you think? :idea:
It might be possible, but refering to my right hand writing, it is not neat at all {-;
And it became worse and worse since I'm used to typing on my keyboard {-:
ArnauEstanyol
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ArnauEstanyol »

My son is ambidextrous. We have always thought that's an advantage. But my aunt, when she was young, her parents tied his left hand so could not use it. A barbaric thing.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweethuman »

I dont personally dont think so it makes any difference whether you are right hinded or left hinded or if there is any magneficence to be right handed. However in an article I have read that the right handed live 9 years more than as compare to the left handed people, :!!: Though I dont think so it can have any reality. :-?
elwishthree

Post by elwishthree »

Some of these disadvantages can, in some cases, be related to future healthcare issues and access. According to a 2009 study published in Demography, left hand dominant children are liable not to perform as well academically as their right handed peers.
Garyjohnson

Post by Garyjohnson »

I used to hate writing for many reasons - with this being near the top of the list. Thanks to computers, my hands stay ink free! So glad I almost never need to use a pen anymore!
alfredwilliam

Post by alfredwilliam »

This.

When I write with a hard lead pencil, I end up getting graphite smudged all over my hands.

Also, sometimes it's super uncomfortable writing on paper that's attached to a binder. My hands get blocked by the rings when I try writing.
Dexif

Post by Dexif »

I'm left-handed and I never felt disadvantages and never thought about it before I saw this topic.
dhinvid

Post by dhinvid »

Some studies show that left-handed people showed an imbalance in processing emotions with their left and right hemispheres of their brain. Left-handed people have a higher risk of brain disorders like schizophrenia, dyslexia or hyperactivity disorders.
juliet

Re:

Post by juliet »

Yen wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:05 pm I think the teachers forced students use right-hand, it have a reason. The materials, sissors, tables, book make for the people who use the right-hand. So, it is very unconvience to use left-hand. That's why the teacher forced students use their right-hand when they are kid.
While it's true that many materials and tools are designed for right-handed use, it's important to respect an individual's natural handedness and not force them to switch hands. It's important to provide equal opportunities and resources for both right and left-handed individuals, and not to discriminate against those who use their left hand.
jimmymokdad

Post by jimmymokdad »

Dexif wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:15 am I'm left-handed and I never felt disadvantages and never thought about it before I saw this topic.
One of my friend is extremely intelligent always helped me with exams he is left handed.
Having conversations with Foreigners On WhatsApp GB is a great way to improve your english {-:
captaincringe

Post by captaincringe »

jimmymokdad wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:05 am
Dexif wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:15 am I'm left-handed and I never felt disadvantages and never thought about it before I saw this topic.
One of my friend is extremely intelligent always helped me with exams he is left handed.
I am also a left-handed person. Also, I got many good compliments on this. One of them I listed too much is "Left-handers are very sharp and clever persons". I didn't believe this ever but this is the compliment that I heard frequently in my life.
Captain Cringe Is Left Hander.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

Left-handed people actually have a huge advantage when it comes to sports like tennis.

When playing against somebody, you would normally assume that they are right side dominate so you will always aim for the weaker side that is the left.
angelaalex

Post by angelaalex »

Left-handed individuals aren't inherently disadvantaged; rather, they navigate a predominantly right-handed world. Embracing and accommodating diverse needs fosters inclusive. While some tools and setups favor right-handedness, societal awareness and adjustments can ensure equitable opportunities for everyone, regardless of their dominant hand.