"Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

User avatar
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 2:21 pm
Status: English Teacher
Location: England
Contact:

"Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Postby TalkingPoint » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:32 am

Should "marriages" between people of the same sex be permitted?

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

passionate
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:49 am
Location: vietnam

Postby passionate » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:24 am

good question :D

ronke
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:52 pm

Postby ronke » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:01 am

Marriage from the same sex should not be allowed, In the first instance is not Godly .This should not be legalise in any nation.

ahmedtaha
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:36 am
Location: Sudan

Postby ahmedtaha » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 am

of coursre not ,in my own point of view i think the marrige concept is much bigger than just making sex , letus ask why people married? the answer would be :-
firstly : to reserve the humanity this a bilogical answer
secondy : to make sex
may be there is another answers but the logical question will be : what life going to be if every body married from his/her sex??

qlqllu
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:29 am

Postby qlqllu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:33 am

in my opinion,it should be legal.

alsalam
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:54 am
Location: yemen

Postby alsalam » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:33 pm

In my opinion, it must not be legal
your future depends on many things, but mostly on you

Lac
Silver Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:07 am
Contact:

married the same sex

Postby Lac » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:54 am

No, it's completely unacceptable. It's so dangerous to your normal life in terms of scientifically and morally.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: married the same sex

Postby MissLT » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 am

Lac wrote:No, it's completely unacceptable. It's so dangerous to your normal life in terms of scientifically and morally.

Please, explain!

bravo
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22 pm
Location: Azerbaijan

Postby bravo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:31 pm

I believe that gay marriages must be legalized. It’s their constitutional and human right to create a union with beloved one. Why should they pay for heterosexual conservatism and discomfort? By the way, being married has nothing to do with having sex, it’s a desire to be with someone you love and to spend your lives together!!![/b]

User avatar
TearHere
Gold Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: "Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Postby TearHere » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:23 am

TP wrote:Should "marriages" between people of the same sex be permitted?


i think it's a case-by-case basis.. Like, here in our country, it's not legal, thus it's not permitetd.. possibly because of our religion.. while in other countries, it is acceptable.. the question of whether it should be permitted or not varies from one person to another, a culture to another, a country to another.. in my opinion, whatever it is other people opt.. respect them, we must.. :wink:

Lac
Silver Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:07 am
Contact:

Marriage of the same sex

Postby Lac » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:07 am

To my personal view, its's entirely uncacceptable in any society.
The term "marriage" is often defined as the combination between two opposite sex. It means that it claims two different elements modified or complemented together for having the following consequences. Talking about "marriage", one frequently thinks about love, delivery, family, duty etc...
I am suspicious of a real love in the marrage of the same sex. Do they have anything offered together? Do they come with each other through a real love ? Of course they themselves - gay, lesbians- might have lots of reasons to explain their actions as well as the meaning of "real love".
No bad consequences have been found scientifically from marriage of the same sex. It's just regarded as something unusual in a morden society. But some developed countires approved it officially, and people looks tolerant towards such couples involved. Sex story is a quite private thing and which way to choose in marriage is also private.
Actually, why we forbid such unnatural marriage legally and constitutionally ? It might be contradictory to our current views but how can we know in future or a few more years ?
Marriage of the same sex brings no notion of "husband", "wife","dad" "mother", "kids", "uncle", "aunt". It seems to upset all of ordinary conception that has often been recognized as common standard for a happy family.
The topic given by Lenny TRAN is quite wide, not limited and commented in just few messages. The problem is that we should not condemn it as anything horrible like many asian countries have. It is neccessary to have an appropriate resolution to it rather than expressing morally disapprovals against it.

Lac

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: "Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:05 pm

TearHere wrote:
TP wrote:Should "marriages" between people of the same sex be permitted?


i think it's a case-by-case basis.. Like, here in our country, it's not legal, thus it's not permitetd.. possibly because of our religion..

I'm glad you've brough this up. This is something I'm not too fond of religions. They make too many rules under the name of God. "Oh, you can't do this; you can't do that! If you do, you'll be damned." And the Church has too much power because 'they' say only them can ask for salvation from God, and you must speak through them. I mean, is God really that busy that he, himself, can't save every single soul directly? I thought he was omnipotent.........

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Marriage of the same sex

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:18 pm

Lac wrote: To my personal view, its's entirely uncacceptable in any society.
The term "marriage" is often defined as the combination between two opposite sex. It means that it claims two different elements modified or complemented together for having the following consequences. Talking about "marriage", one frequently thinks about love, delivery, family, duty etc...

We, humans, like to define things. We like to name everything on this Earth. Even one human to another we must have name for each other. We can't go around saying "hey you!" We think it's confusing and blah blah blah... It's the same for marriage. We made the word; we defined it ourselves. If we could do something like this, we could change it any way we want. Therefore, to what I see marriage can define in any way we want as long as we feel pleased within ourselves. There is no right and wrong definition for marriage. The wrong definition only happens when someone accuses someone else to be out of the norms.

Lac wrote:I am suspicious of a real love in the marrage of the same sex. Do they have anything offered together? Do they come with each other through a real love ? Of course they themselves - gay, lesbians- might have lots of reasons to explain their actions as well as the meaning of "real love".

How can you doubt something is not real when you know nothing about it? And how can you doubt their real love when you know nothing about what real love is? If you did know what real love was, you wouldn't say it this way.

Lac wrote:No bad consequences have been found scientifically from marriage of the same sex. It's just regarded as something unusual in a morden society.

No, the uptight people think it's unnatural.

Lac wrote:But some developed countires approved it officially, and people looks tolerant towards such couples involved. Sex story is a quite private thing and which way to choose in marriage is also private.

Well, if this is the case then why are we butting in something that is private?

Lac wrote:It is neccessary to have an appropriate resolution to it rather than expressing morally disapprovals against it.

Lac

Exactly! Give them what they want is an appropriate solution. It's just a piece of paper, but to some people it's an acceptance of people around them that their relationship is legal. They are committed to each other. And when people look at them, they see a partnership, not just a single person without being tied down for something.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:31 pm

thanaa wrote:In addition, unless we find a certain difination for whar marriage is ,we will get endless options; for instance, if someone wants to marry his sister, mother, father or even his dog why should not he be able?

If we throw morals away for this case, we're still left with the health. Do you think your child would become normal if you were married to your dad, sister, mother, brother, or even closed cousins? Of course not. We have proofs that genetic diseases and heredity is the reason why we know it's wrong to marry our closed ones. Besides, how could one marry their parents? Have homosexual people tried to marry their parents?

About the dog part, well, in the States there was one teenager who raped a dog. The dog died two after the rape because of internal bleeding. It was not even a sexual contact. It was animal cruelty. How could someone do something like this to an animal we treated as friends?

User avatar
Rui
Gold Member
Posts: 477
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia
Contact:

Postby Rui » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:14 pm

my god, LennyeTran... i must say that i agree 100% with what you have been saying on this thread, therefore my opinion its completely irrelevant here because i would be just repeating your words :lol: :lol: :lol:, i would like just to add that when we talk about religion laws we are ruin everything of the best we have in our lives, that is do what they want us to do and not what make us feel well, so... and im sure god only wants to see people love each other without wars and respect everyone thoughts its the only way to get there, but this is an old speech, when we look to tv we can see that the reality its not like that at all, final thought and more related to the thread... if you love someone and want to be with her ot him, for me its completely no sense try to decide if what you are doing its correct or not.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:39 pm

Rui wrote:and im sure god only wants to see people love each other without wars and respect everyone thoughts its the only way to get there, but this is an old speech, when we look to tv we can see that the reality its not like that at all, final thought and more related to the thread... if you love someone and want to be with her ot him, for me its completely no sense try to decide if what you are doing its correct or not.

Thank you for your support, Rui. I know gay people, therefore, I feel a need to defend for what they wish to have that would harm no other people.

And the bold parts, EXACTLY!

Lac
Silver Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:07 am
Contact:

Re: Marriage of the same sex

Postby Lac » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:35 am

We, humans, like to define things. We like to name everything on this Earth. Even one human to another we must have name for each other. We can't go around saying "hey you!" We think it's confusing and blah blah blah... It's the same for marriage. We made the word; we defined it ourselves. If we could do something like this, we could change it any way we want. Therefore, to what I see marriage can define in any way we want as long as we feel pleased within ourselves. There is no right and wrong definition for marriage. The wrong definition only happens when someone accuses someone else to be out of the norms.

Things always must have a name. If it has no name what would we call it ? Definintion of a name might be objectively or subjectively meaning that could be right to this man but wrong to another. You may define anything you like if you want to be out of the common conventionality. Of course I can define "marriage" to my personal understanding that is contrary to others' thought. Definition gives you nothing except the fact that it proves you to be right or wrong in the logic manner.

I am suspicious of a real love in the marrage of the same sex. Do they have anything offered together? Do they come with each other through a real love ? Of course they themselves - gay, lesbians- might have lots of reasons to explain their actions as well as the meaning of "real love". [/quote]
How can you doubt something is not real when you know nothing about it? And how can you doubt their real love when you know nothing about what real love is? If you did know what real love was, you wouldn't say it this way.


i doubt so i am willing to question . It's the logic. I am unware of something, or more exactly, suspicious of something so i need more information about that. There's also one thing to be noted is that before putting a question, one must have a preconception related to the matter involved. You do know what the real love is so you ask how it could be understood in any other way.

Lac wrote:No bad consequences have been found scientifically from marriage of the same sex. It's just regarded as something unusual in a morden society.

No, the uptight people think it's unnatural.

Evidence, please ?


Sex story is a quite private thing and which way to choose in marriage is also private. [/quote]
Well, if this is the case then why are we butting in something that is private?

Oh, you know, nothing private is without being argued and discussed ?

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Marriage of the same sex

Postby MissLT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:34 am

Lac wrote:Things always must have a name. If it has no name what would we call it ? Definintion of a name might be objectively or subjectively meaning that could be right to this man but wrong to another. You may define anything you like if you want to be out of the common conventionality. Of course I can define "marriage" to my personal understanding that is contrary to others' thought. Definition gives you nothing except the fact that it proves you to be right or wrong in the logic manner.

Why must things have a name? If I don't feel like to name things I like, I won't, right?

Lac wrote:i doubt so i am willing to question . It's the logic. I am unware of something, or more exactly, suspicious of something so i need more information about that. There's also one thing to be noted is that before putting a question, one must have a preconception related to the matter involved. You do know what the real love is so you ask how it could be understood in any other way.

There is no other way for real love. If it's real love, it's real love. The moment you question about real love, that's the moment you show you know nothing about it. Real love doesn't exist in just between a man and a woman. It's love. It could happen to everyone and to anything. It's because it doesn't happen between a man and a woman, it doesn't count as real love?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Lac wrote:Evidence, please ?

The Church has been trying to condemn it. They even go further saying it's against what God created on this Earth blah blah blah. Need more information?

Lac wrote:Oh, you know, nothing private is without being argued and discussed ?

If it's PRIVATE, it should be argued and discussed by peole who are in the case. Not you, me, or anyone else who is not involved. That's what privacy means.

User avatar
TearHere
Gold Member
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: "Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Postby TearHere » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:21 am

LennyeTran wrote:..I mean, is God really that busy that he, himself, can't save every single soul directly? I thought he was omnipotent.........


may i ask what your religion is?..if you don't mind..see,. you believe in whatever you believe in, i believe in mine, i've realized this just recently.. people of different religions do not really get to agree with each other.. i mean, that's why i've been preventing from talking about what i believe in because it will just lead me to persuading you to believe me, and i don't want to do that because i'm pretty sure that you are also convinced with what you believe in.. if we try to discuss, it'd be endless..i bet.. plus, i find it hard to put into words the thoughts that i really mean..

bottomline.. it's respect.. i think i know how you feel, i would also sometimes wonder why, say, reincarnation, a Hindu belief, is believed to be true by some people and all that..(not really related :roll: to this topic,..just mentioning..)...

nevertheless, i still stick to my opinion.. :wink:

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: "Marriages" between people of the same sex?

Postby MissLT » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 pm

TearHere wrote: reincarnation, a Hindu belief, is believed to be true by some people and all that..(not really related :roll: to this topic,..just mentioning..)...

nevertheless, i still stick to my opinion.. :wink:

From what I see, read, and learn about history of religions, the Church forbids the idea of reincarnation because it's a dangerous idea. If one believed in that idea, that person would no longer believe in the Church; the Church would no longer have the power over people.

Reincarnation means humans could come back from one life after another to pay for his karma and to perfect himself. Karma and dogma are two things would tight a human into reincarnation. Therefore, if one didn't do anything good in his previous life, he could come back again as someone or something to repay the debt he owed. After that, he would get to move on being something else.

If this is the case, people wouldn't need salvation from the Church. People would be in direct with God and their own faith. They don't have to go through the Church, talk to the priests, etc. to ask for forgiveness. And the whole idea of Jesus as savior, the Judgment Day, etc. would fall. See, it is a really dangerous idea for the Church.

For the future of the Church and Christianity reincarnation and other things have to be forbbiden. If they can't get a benefit from something, it wouldn't be allowed. Same thing for homosexuals. Who knows what Jesus or God would think, right? Christians said Jesus died for ALL sins, which means including heterosexuals AND homosexuals. However, there are maybe many things that I don't know why the Church go against the idea of God is all loving and caring for humankind to forbid their marriages. And I'm gonna find out....

Norshan
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:24 pm
Location: Jordan

Postby Norshan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:35 pm

ofcourse it should not be allowed at all and even to think about it !! first of all coz it is not allowed in any religion and god has a wisdom to allow or not allow things even if we don"t know why it is allowed or not!! and when we think about it..it is something strange !! coz everything in our life is male and female..animals,plants,humans..there is a balance in our life so why we wanna destroy it !!


Return to “Talking Point Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron